Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance rates (non-classic)
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

Just a place to vent kinda. haha

I have been gouged for a year by Progressive, it seems. Them and Geico have been cheapest for me for quite a few years and i have been between the two on few different vehicles, but mostly with Progressive. I have a motorhome policy with them, so I figured they'd be reasonable, ie: multiple policy discount.

Well I was paying $80/mo for little more than 50/100/50 liability. Then they went up 10% after a year. Enough is enough.

I checked directly with a State Farm agent, despite State Farm having a history of being the most expensive of all major carriers for me, despite no tickets, no at-fault accidents, no DUIs, etc.

Well it turns out, they are far cheaper to insure my 64 bug. I'm paying $16/mo less, and i have $250 deductible full coverage! Maybe State Farm rates drop drastically once you're over 40? It has been several years since I got a quote with them for anything, so that might be the case?

For comparison, just the 50/100/50 liability portion with Progressive was $385. It's $216 with State Farm.

I'll be calling my agent next week and getting an RV quote too, in case I'm being gouged on that too.

I can't get Hagerty for several of reasons:
- Not garage kept (must be for Hagerty)
- It's a baja (off road isn't allowed on Hagerty)
- It's not super pretty and it probably won't ever be, i use it, not just polish it. It's dragged behind my motorhome with a tow bar. (Hagerty wants restoration quality)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

Insurance rates here are steep too. All I carry is public liability, nothing more. My insurance company wanted $2000 a year for my '03 Dodge 3500 that is basically a garbage dump run truck that gets used for dump trips and maybe pull a flat deck trailer twice a year for fire wood or move something. We used it 9 times last year so that's $222 for each dump run not including the fuel and flat tires from nails picked up there! It's only a $1200 fine for littering so if I saved all the garbage for a year and put it in the ditch it would be $800 cheaper...

They list it as our daily driver which it is not and never will be! We use the '02 TDI for virtually everything but the truck is 1 year newer so they say it HAS to be the daily driver! The truck gets 18 mpg empty and the TDI gets 60 mpg so why on God's green earth would we make the truck our daily driver? I went to a different insurance broker and got the same coverage for $1200/year which is still too much.

To quote Mark "You can't fix stupid!"
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
They list it as our daily driver which it is not and never will be! We use the '02 TDI for virtually everything but the truck is 1 year newer so they say it HAS to be the daily driver! The truck gets 18 mpg empty and the TDI gets 60 mpg so why on God's green earth would we make the truck our daily driver? I went to a different insurance broker and got the same coverage for $1200/year which is still too much.

I don't know if your carrier does, but State Farm is giving me a "Short Annual Mileage Discount". I entered 5,000 miles for the bug which is still far more than true but yeah.I don't know how much it is, since it's lumped in with the "Good driver" discount; but the total discount is $94.58

I wish I got 18mpg. My diesel RV (85 Ford E350 chassis, 6.9L IDI, C6, 4.10) gets 8.7mpg. I am debating going back into my tiny truck camper on my 87 F250 (stored away in my mom's back yard for almost 3 years now) since it gets about 14 hwy with all terrain tires. (same engine but more worn out, same trans, but with 3.55 gears).

I have a 1988 built new-old-stock GearVendors overdrive unit with the C6 adapter that I bought last year for a good deal, but haven't had installed due to cost and finding a shop to do it. I'm debating if i want to put it on the RV and get 10.5mpg or put it on the F250 and get 17mpg, The RV has at least 10x the living space, after all. It's a full house on wheels. The truck camper has.... a dome light. That's it. Well, and a bed platform and countertop I built in it, but no running water, no stove, no bathroom.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

State Farm is the cheapest on occasionally driven cars. just don't ever , ever have a claim or its by-by and go see the "General" for your online screwing.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
State Farm is the cheapest on occasionally driven cars. just don't ever , ever have a claim or its by-by and go see the "General" for your online screwing.

Supposedly, some states have laws on the books that disallow insurance companies from hiking up your rate based on filing a claim. I found that out in WA state when I had a hit & run claim on my car (03 Pontiac Vibe). It was hit in a parking lot and the perp fled. At that time, Progressive was running their own body shops and I lived near one so I went there. They charged me my cheapest deductible ($250 I think) instead of the $300 hit & run deductible. I mentioned my rate going up after this and they said that state law prevents them from doing so. I don't know if that's actually true or not, but the rate on the car didn't go up, so perhaps it was in that case, since it was a hit & run and I didn't know who did it.

My motorhome had a big claim last year. The rebuilt transmission slipped out of park into reverse with the engine on due to a maladjusted shifter at the transmission end, rolled into a 5 lane road, but only jackknifed my cargo trailer and hit nothing else amazingly. So the RV and trailer had damage. The trailer was totalled for the max coverage included in RV policy and the RV had a chunk of money paid out for repairs. I replaced some of the broken bits and DIY repaired the rest. They didn't jack up the motorhome policy rate very much on the renewal. I figured it had more to do with the sudden massive inflation rate in the past year. I think it went up about $10-12/mo, or thereabouts. Not terrible since the motorhome wasn't totalled and it still has full coverage. It's a "full timers" policy, catered to people who live in an RV full time as their residence. I had a dash cam rolling when it happened, so that probably helped my case immensely, in proving that it happened how I said it did.

Also, when I was getting the State Farm policy on the bug, I mentioned the above motorhome accident last year, and he said that yes, he saw it on record, but that my driver risk rating (or whatever he called it) was still showing as excellent, there were no dings against me for that claim.

Oh ... and years ago when I did still use State Farm, I had a hail damage claim on a car. They had so many claims from that storm, they set up a circus tent at a big church parking lot and had appointments for you to get in line for them to inspect the damage. They saw the hundreds of roof dings and paid out no problem. I don't recall the rate going up on the car.

I eventually left and went to Allstate because they were cheaper for a homeowner's policy by 50% vs State Farm. So I put my vehicles on them too. Stayed with Allstate until they started getting too expensive, so i looked into Progressive/Geico which were much cheaper. So yeah, it's just weird how rates seem to rollercoaster, even when you go years without a claim. You have to check around every few years to be sure you're not being gouged.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

That’s not always the case Manfred. Underwriting takes many variables in to account when determining if a policy gets renewed. This applies to most if not all insurance underwriters. Insurance tip, all my friends and family who work in the industry and deal with claims have a PLUP to protect them and their other assists. No, there is no employee discount. People think their precious car is valuable. I never heard of anyone losing their house because they totaled an expensive Mercedes. I have heard people losing assets because they went the cheapest route and couldn’t cover medical expenses. I’d be willing to bet a 7 day stay in a U.S. hospital cost more then most the VWs on the Samba. When people lose limbs, burn, and die it cost far more.

No need to go toe to toe with me on your view of the insurance insurance industry. I probably already agree.

Just for information. Go with whatever insurance company you like. Not everyone can afford this type of insurance but do what you can to protect yourself.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/liability/personal-umbrella-policy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance rates (non-classic) Reply with quote

Too bad you aren’t one State north. In my time at Hanford, since the kids were gone , I fell into the WA No Kids group. Normally, you need to document this but they took one look at me and approved me for the group rate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: