Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Hey Folks - I was wondering what people are doing generally for running power to roof mounted lights? I have seen pics of wires from the hood up the gutter, in that case how do you secure the wires in the gutter? I've also seen wires up the back gutter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Joe
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Personally I would drill a couple of holes where necessary and run wires up in side "A" pillar and then a watertight seal where wires come out through roof...

Believe the "A" pillar is open into trunk so you may have access there....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

^^^ yep, what he said
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Thanks bros!

-Joe
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

I wouldn't drill holes in nothing run the wires out the radio antenna hole and up the rain gutter.

The led round headlights off jeeps work great on high super bright plus they have a turn signal ring that other brain dead drivers cant miss far better then the turn signal lights top the fenders. You really don't need lights on the roof its for looks I guess. Unless you plan on going 70mph thru the desert at night after a snake bite racing to the hospital.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Well... you say that, but this is the face of a pup who got bit by a rattle snake in the yard. I sped to the vet in my modern car Smile

I can't lie, rack lights just look cool, I cruise in this thing. Good idea about the antenna hole.

-Joe
spaught
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

I ran mine from the frunk up through the antenna hole (with a grommet replacing the antenna), then up the drip rail to the rack mount.

About 2" up from the antenna hole I drilled a small hole through the drip rail and used stainless tie wire to secure the loom to the car. Keeps the wire secure and the tie wire isn't nearly as visible at a zip tie would be.

Works great, have never had a problem with it, and I don't baby the car...
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Looks great Spraught! Thanks for sharing.

Just curious, are those allen head bolts holding on your mirror mounts? If so how'd you do that, nutzerts?

Thanks!
-Joe
spaught
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

Absolutely correct. I put rivnuts into the door skin around the window. The shape of the sheetmetal in that area makes it very rigid and plenty strong. I've whacked these off of a few trees and haven't had any issues with the rivnuts coming loose. I used stainless bolts with a little anti-sieze so I can get them out later without any issues.
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

I used these connectors sized to the current load. Allowed me to make the roof rack removable.

https://www.amazon.com/Connection-Soldering-Waterp...Y&th=1
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

It took a while, but I got around to wiring the lights on the basket up.

I did use Daddy o’s tip on get those cnlinko connectors. I used a single 4 conductor wire to route power to the rack, then split it out using a little waterproof box.

Super fun project and so bright!
-Joe
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: How are folks running wires to roof mounted lights? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Personally I would drill a couple of holes where necessary and run wires up in side "A" pillar and then a watertight seal where wires come out through roof...

Believe the "A" pillar is open into trunk so you may have access there....

^^This^^

The A-Pillar is hollow through to the front compartment.
There's good pass-through (bulkhead) connectors out there as well. Lookup SAE, DT, Weather-pack connectors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: