Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS transaxle seal leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Please advise. It appears the final drive seal on the right axle stub is leaking because I've got a small amount of liquid oil leaking out the cv flange where it attaches to the tranny. It's not grease from inside the joint. (73 model)

In reading up on how to do this, doesn't seem too hard being in a rail. But, it looks like the seal changed from a 9.5mm to a 15mm over the years and so what I take out may be thinner than what I 'm putting back in.

This was a a VW part change from what I see. So how does this work-one person somewhere says he couldn't get the retainer to drop down far enough to clamp on after installing the new thicker seal. Do you just drive the seal further down and will that be enough? Seems like that would damage it. Or was the original seal not intended to bottom out and some space was left in there.

I do see where using some dielectric grease is best to keep from damaging the rubber of the new seal when pressing in.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

15mm fits fine. The increased size makes it easier to keep it square/straight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

If it is leaking oil thru the cv joint the inner cup seal is bad. Most offroad cars omitt this seal dou to the axle hitting it and punching a hole in it. Remove the cap seal, clean all the gear oil out and fill this area with a good silicone, I use ultra grey.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/020-409-289-B/020-409-289-B

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
If it is leaking oil thru the cv joint the inner cup seal is bad. Most offroad cars omitt this seal dou to the axle hitting it and punching a hole in it. Remove the cap seal, clean all the gear oil out and fill this area with a good silicone, I use ultra grey.

The Ultra Grey is the hardest/most dense of the Ultras and I have used it for the same purpose.

Wondering, have you ever tried this one by Permatex? Made to work with gear oils. I have not tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81182-Gear-Gasket-...&psc=1

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

When the folks at Bxxxx built my transaxle for me they omitted that seal entirely and used a clear silicone. Of what type I do not know.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

The only reason I ask about "type" of RTV..... is that if you are going to use RTV to build up replacement cap on this part....or make gaskets on transmissions......

You have to get the surfaces squeaky clean. There cannot be any trace of gear oil.

Most gear oils have sulfides or sulfur in them. The sulfur spoils or poisons a lot of RTV's depending on how they are catalyzed. They won't cure properly.

The Ultrs gray works pretty well but I have found out the hard way that it can be sulfur poisoned or inhibited.

One could just as easily say make damn sure to clean the bub very well with something like acetone, MEK or brake cleaner and not worry about it.

Supposedly, from what I have read, the Permatex gear oil resistant RTV has a different catalyst and has no worries with that. Ray
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

The Ultra Grey is the hardest/most dense of the Ultras and I have used it for the same purpose.

Wondering, have you ever tried this one by Permatex? Made to work with gear oils. I have not tried it yet.

I have not, thought about trying it but the ultra grey hardens(spelling) very firm as you mentioned. It acts like a bump stop for the axle. I'm kind of like "why change what works very well?" on my customers transaxles. I might try that stuff on my progect or a close friends first. The ultra grey is the only silicone that is approved by every car manufacturer, at least when I worked for Ford almost 30 years ago was
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81182-Gear-Gasket-...&psc=1

Ray

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. But if it's getting past the cup seal, which I would think is more a less a "dust" seal, doesn't that mean the inner seal is leaking? Or is it expected that the inner seal is going to leak some but the cup seal prevents it from escaping further?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

2381Buggy wrote:
Thanks for the reply. But if it's getting past the cup seal, which I would think is more a less a "dust" seal, doesn't that mean the inner seal is leaking? Or is it expected that the inner seal is going to leak some but the cup seal prevents it from escaping further?

No, the inner seal is not a dust seal but an actual oil seal, the only way oil can get into the cv is past this seal. All off road cars use this fix. I have built over 2000 t-1 trans alone, 100s and 100s for off road, trust me, this is your problem.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Yes, the oil leaks past the splines on the hub. The cap is the seal for those splines.

That cap as a seal is not a great design and a lot depends on who makes that cap, how well it fits, what kind of rubber around the edge. Just driving it in without the proper sized mandrel or socket can bend some of the caps enough that they pop right out.

Then there is the in/out sliding of the shaft on some CV set ups that hammers that cap, popping it off or putting a hole in it.

For a long time back in the late 90's it was hard finding "good" cap/seals and sometimes finding them at all when you needed one. I took to finding old ones that fit well....cleaning the whole assembly and using Ultra copper (then later ultra gray) to simply cement the cap in. Worked great.

The replacement of the cap with a plug of Ultra Gray makes more sense. Just get rid of the cap. Ray
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Ray, I think you answered my question best. The cap is sort of a secondary seal beyond the inner. I did not mean to say the inner seal was a dust seal, but possibly the cap. I may try the total sealer route and just eliminate the cap altogether.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

2381Buggy wrote:
Ray, I think you answered my question best. The cap is sort of a secondary seal beyond the inner. I did not mean to say the inner seal was a dust seal, but possibly the cap. I may try the total sealer route and just eliminate the cap altogether.

Not a secondary seal, if the flange seal leaks it leaks outside the cv joint. If the inner seal leaks it leaks inside the cv. Two completly different seals.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
2381Buggy wrote:

Not a secondary seal, if the flange seal leaks it leaks outside the cv joint. If the inner seal leaks it leaks inside the cv. Two completly different seals.

Yes...^^^^^ this. They are sealing two totally different things. The center cap seals off the oil leakage past the shaft splines.

The oil seal around the outer perimeter of the hub is sealing oil that flows through/past the bearing.
Ray
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

When mine leaked like that it turned out to be a cheaply rebuilt gearbox that was provided as an exchange.
The preload on the bearing was slighly less than it needed so the whole drive shaft and cup was slightly loose.

It needed adjustment. No mere mortal is meant to touch the preload but I screwed in the side cover in by about half a degree. With a new seal that lasted until the gearbox was properly rebuilt because the main shaft bearing had eaten into the nose cone.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Tackled my seal leak today. It was just the cap seal, the inner seal was dry -no leakage behind the flange, so I left it alone.

The old cap had a hole right in the center. So does this mean the axle shaft has been hitting it?

When removing the old cap, it did seem like it was not in as far as it should have been.

I did not seal up the hole, probably should have, but did use the Ultra-gray around the edges of the cap. Guess I will have to wait to see if the leak returns and another hole in the new cap.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

2381Buggy wrote:
Tackled my seal leak today. It was just the cap seal, the inner seal was dry -no leakage behind the flange, so I left it alone.

The old cap had a hole right in the center. So does this mean the axle shaft has been hitting it?

When removing the old cap, it did seem like it was not in as far as it should have been.

I did not seal up the hole, probably should have, but did use the Ultra-gray around the edges of the cap. Guess I will have to wait to see if the leak returns and another hole in the new cap.

Yes, the axle is hitting it, this is the reason for not using this seal and using a good rtv instead. I still prefere ultra grey as it hardens well as previously stated. All off road transaxles use this method.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
2381Buggy wrote:

Yes, the axle is hitting it, this is the reason for not using this seal and using a good rtv instead. I still prefere ultra grey as it hardens well as previously stated. All off road transaxles use this method.

The metal cap part of the seal is actually the "poor design" part of the seal. It's not elastic and has no memory.

When it gets dinged by shaft movement, it gets dented. That usually warps it and causes the outside sealing rim to pry loose. Repeated dings knock a hole in it.

The RTV works good. After what....60-70 years of this seal having the same problem, if one were to re-design it for better function.....you could probably make it completely from urethane with a metal gripper cast in around the edge.

I "think" years ago.....I saw a version of this cap used on a water cooled car that had a hole in the center part of the metal cap and rubber was cast over the whole cap so it had a flexible center to stop this issue.

RTV works though. Ray
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies... will see how long this lasts.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Great thread. Lots of good information and easily searchable.

I’m having this issue and I pretty much understand it. I think my issue is the final drive seal, at least I think that’s what it’s called. Is this the correct one for a ‘71 002?

https://weddleindustries.com/products/002-301-189-C/002-301-189-C

And correct sealing cap?

Thanks!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: IRS transaxle seal leak Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for this!

I have a leaking one on my 002 in my sand rail. I re-used the old seals and the one on that side was a poor fit. I silicone-ed it in but now I know why it is leaking. I have not been too concerned about it because I know that CV joint is now getting well lubed. Rolling Eyes It does make a bit of mess though and I have to keep an eye on the oil level.

I was thinking of turning up a Delrin plug (because I have some) with an interference fit but the gray silicone sounds like a much easier fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: