Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coast Mountain Hightop Install
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

For those of you that followed a brief thread on getting CMHT to Texas, I am one of the two that ordered and received the tops. Unfortunately, the shipper from Oregon to Texas managed to cause significant edge damage to both of the tops so repairs will be required and insurance claims have been filed. Anyway, I was going to just connect this up to my TDI conversion thread but decided that a separate thread was best. I have just started but am already delayed by the extreme temperatures we are having here in Texas. I had one good day of work to throughly clean the interior (degreaser, water rinse and then a good rubdown with Goof Off to remove any other residue. I then approached the task of finding a centerline in a top that has virtually no straight edges. That is now accomplished and when the weather cools a bit in the mornings, I will get back at it, adding insulation, supports for vent and AC and wiring. I have included 2 pics. One is the pristine top when it left Oregon and the second is the top upside down in my covered awing area. The tape and the pipe insulation along the edges serves two purposes: 1) protect the damaged areas until I can get them fixed and 2) protect my arms and other body parts from interaction with relatively sharp fiberglass!! Will update as I go along.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Seems they would have been wise to tape some pipe insulation to the edges before it shipped...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

plus the shipper stood them on one end against a golf cart so most of the damage was on that one end. Although they did manage to cause numerous edge chips scratchers and gouges.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Man - what kind of person thinks, "Well, doesn't matter if we wreck it, as long as we get it there!"

"Here's your five-piece high-top! Enjoy!"
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
That is now accomplished and when the weather cools a bit in the mornings, I will get back at it, adding insulation, supports for vent and AC and wiring.

Could you tell us more about your AC plans?

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Should add that I'm very interested in your high-top install, because I drive right past the manufacturer at least 3 or 4 times a year - my sunroof van cries out for a high-top and I'm really on the fence about it. No shipping cost or (clearly) risk is a huge consideration.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

I thought I had decided to go with a low profile 120 volt unit from Recpro.com. Problem is how far it places the interior vent forward over the roof of the cab rather than within the camper space. The other option is one of he china made 12 volt ac units which are much smaller lengthwise but would still be too far forward. Either way I would probably have to construct some kind of ducts to actually route the cool air into the camper section. Of course the 12 volt one would require a minimum 200 ah lithium battery at even more cost. Still at the measuring and figuring stage. The low profile 120 volt unit and one of the china made units (a clone of the dometic) are essentially priced the same and weigh about the same.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

These two pictures show my dilemma as far as the two different AC units. The first picture with the plywood, represents the position of the low profile 120 volt ac unit (only 3 " wider on each side) with the big square X'ed out 14" where the hole will be in the top. The small piece of blue tape on the far wall of the top is the end of the cab and beginning of the camper portion of the van, front is to the right. As you can see, this puts the inside unit VERY far forward. Now you can close one set of vents completely and direct all the cooled air out one side but it isn't ideal. The second picture is the approximate foot print of the 12 volt AC that I am looking at and the smaller piece of paper is the interior unit in it approximate position. It is much farther back but it only has outlets on the front which I would most likely need to build some ducting to point towards the back of the camper. A puzzle indeed. Personally, I would rather go with the 120 unit as I rarely camp in the summer without electricity (too hot in Texas) but the 12 volt unit has its upside also. What think yea?

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Cool idea (pun intended).

Do you have a link for the air conditioners that you're talking about?
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

120 volt unit:
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioner-low-profile-9-5k-quiet-ac-with-remote-control-non-ducted/

The 12 volt unit on eBay (thought there are many others available besides this one):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166239088189?_trkparms=ni...noapp=true
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

My inverter gen can power that 120v unit Cool

I have one of these.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion...-generator
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

So I have decided not to decide on the AC at this moment. I am going to start at the back and begin the process of installing insulation and I am going to put my FAntatic Fan in the back so I will need to add reinforcement for the 14x14" hole. I need to make sense of the AC stuff though. I am thinking of constructing a cardboard model of the 120 volt AC rooftop unit just to see how much room it actually take up on the roof.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Have you considered a small mini split? I saw where someone mounted the radiator behind the high top.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Have you considered a small mini split? I saw where someone mounted the radiator behind the high top.

My oh my, I'd like a tour of this van. It looks like it's packed with a few interesting ideas (including the impossible A/C).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

What's the story with the spare tire sail sticking out at right angles to the car? I assume that's a swing out feature which has to be in the "sail" position to open the slider.

Agree, a tour would be very interesting. License Plate? Lots 'o windage. Fuel mileage? Engine? Tranny? Suspension? Brakes?

Note the swing out box is mounted directly to the body tin. There must be some serious backing plates behind the bolts.

Duncan
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Ug(ly) and no! If I went with a split, they make ones that mount underneath that already has a thread somewhere. I wonder if that van actually ever leaves the pavement like a lot of the 4x4 Jeeps. All show and no actual go!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Now, now. Remember how our mothers used to say; "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all". Ev just had to step in a lock a topic about how our community treats posters.

It may be ugly and over the top and only go to Walmart to buy potato chips, but apparently he has been willing to toss serious wampum at it so who are we to say he has no idea what he's doing.?

People have plenty of opportunity to criticize me by saying I have no idea of what I'm doing,,,,,,,,,,,,,and much of the time they are right.

Duncan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

that 12v unit draws 1250watts.. that's 96-100amps at 12-13v.

A/C ain't cheap.. in power consumption or $$$$

dieseltdi wrote:
120 volt unit:
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioner-low-profile-9-5k-quiet-ac-with-remote-control-non-ducted/

The 12 volt unit on eBay (thought there are many others available besides this one):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166239088189?_trkparms=ni...noapp=true

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

My oh my, I'd like a tour of this van. It looks like it's packed with a few interesting ideas (including the impossible A/C).

That's cool. Maybe install that air conditioner on a Burley rear swing away rack. I like it Cool

https://burleymotorsports.net/product/swing-out-rear-tire-carrier-2/
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Mountain Hightop Install Reply with quote

Well I pulled the trigger and purchased one of the 12 volt AC units, not the one from the original link, but one from the same company Treeligo, but in a smaller form factor with will bring it much closer to the correct spot in the van. No pictures or anything at this time as it is just hellishly hot here in Texas, 111 degrees F today, and I can't really get out and work on the top. I have begun the process of upgrading my charging set up as I will be upgrading to lithium batteries, so I have a Renogy DC/DC charger and solar controller and I have had for some time, an RV style converter/inverter that is lithium compatible for those times when I have access to 120 volts to plug into. Looks like I will be doing a lot of rewiring, and moving things around. Hayden
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: