Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

So, this ad for a low light vert popped up in the Ghia forum:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2634931

It has an as of yet unidentified dual carb kit that *possibly* appears to be dual port, and it seems to have remnants of a Judson setup at one time. Everett was kind enough to share a higher resolution image of the engine as seen below. Lots of guages on the dash, what looks like a 2nd coil and other bits in the trunk. Just wanted to share to see if the VS experts here wanted to weigh in if there's anything about the engine or car that's worthwhile.

I considered reaching out to the seller for more photos of the engine, but since I'm not interested in buying the car I didn't want to waste his time....though identifying if there are some cool VS bits here might expand interest in the car for him.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

The more I look at it the less I think it’s a dual port setup and is single port. What looked to be a split intake on the right I think is just an illusion created by the spark plug wire.
It can’t be a Rethwish set up as the orientation of the carbs is different as is the linkage. So who else made a single port set up for 36hp?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
The more I look at it the less I think it’s a dual port setup and is single port. What looked to be a split intake on the right I think is just an illusion created by the spark plug wire.
It can’t be a Rethwish set up as the orientation of the carbs is different as is the linkage. So who else made a single port set up for 36hp?

I see it now, and you're correct, not a dual port. You were on the right track, though it's not a spark plug wire - it's a balance tube setup that gives the right manifold the appearance of being dual port. I traced it in yellow in the photo. My guess is they're possibly homemade manifolds?

Not looking like this is going to have desirable heads or internals. Oh well...

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

I see it now, and you're correct, not a dual port. You were on the right track, though it's not a spark plug wire - it's a balance tube setup that gives the right manifold the appearance of being dual port. I traced it in yellow in the photo. My guess is they're possibly homemade manifolds?

Not looking like this is going to have desirable heads or internals. Oh well...

Nice spot on the balance tube. Wish we had more pix. Doesn’t look stroked either, cylinder head covers look pretty flush to the case.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

Interesting that there is an alternator and a generator. It kind of looks like the deck lid has been cut?

Maybe for a Judson scoop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

Dietz linkage and Dietz manifolds, you can see the crossover pipe.
Here is a picture from the classifieds

Deck lid cut for Judson
Look at all those gauges!
I think the extra coil in the trunk was for a gas heater (see the hole near the glove box)

Also this was a back in the day hot rodder (who ran with the stock distributor)
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

oldslow wrote:

Deck lid cut for Judson
I think the extra coil in the trunk was for a gas heater (see the hole near the glove box)

Well that's pretty cool, so it's not homemade. I was wondering what the thing on the shroud was; I had guessed it was an improvised support for the alternator. No idea on the value of that setup but based on the photo you shared it looks like this Ghia has one with all of the main parts.
SCG9860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

I came across this ad.

FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

I'm guessing the larger Motorola component above the shroud is for the tach? I recognize the rectangular voltage regulator, but the big one with the blue i.d. plate I can't place. Hard to tell where the wires run to.
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

The choke cable is connected to the passenger side carburetor.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
oldslow wrote:

Deck lid cut for Judson

Well that's pretty cool, so it's not homemade. I was wondering what the thing on the shroud was; I had guessed it was an improvised support for the alternator. No idea on the value of that setup but based on the photo you shared it looks like this Ghia has one with all of the main parts.

That’s a rad setup, like a Rethwish with better linkage. I had a Rethwish set up on a ‘58 bus with a stroker crank and it ran like a beast. 65mph easily. Probably a blast in a Ghia.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Old-school vintage speed 36hp in an ad for a rough Ghia vert Reply with quote

Looks like it sold.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: