Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

back axle/shocks
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rave Wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

So I have the first Trekker to be imported to the UK! It was taken to bits 30 years ago and now I've bought it! Most of the parts are there but some are not. I have manuals and part cats. But i cant figure out how the back shocks go back on. Do I need the spacer tube. And also the brake line run, where exactly does it go. So I'm thinking some pics of existing Trekkers could help! I've got the oldest swing axle configuration. Thanks in anticipation.
Rave
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

Yours must have the Gear Reduction Boxes, Just like my 72'. Yes there is a spacer that goes between the Gear Box Housing and the Shock, The long screw goes through it and and the Shock Groomet the nut goes on the inside end. PN# 181 513 125 Spacer Tube. You won't get the Schocks on with out it.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know more about your Trekker. Year? Exhaust and heating setup? I'm assuming right hand drive. Do you have the b-pillar extensions for the 3 point seatbelts? What years was the Trekker available in the UK?

I had the opportunity to see one at a car show in the US. I believe it eventually made it way back to the UK

Pics taken in 2005.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rave Wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:
Yours must have the Gear Reduction Boxes, Just like my 72'. Yes there is a spacer that goes between the Gear Box Housing and the Shock, The long screw goes through it and and the Shock Gromet the nut goes on the inside end. PN# 181 513 125 Spacer Tube. You won't get the Shocks on with out it.

I hope I'm in the right place...not used to this forum yet and "Quote" seemed the only way to post a reply!
So thanks, Yes, I have the reduction boxes. I figured I need the spacer. However it is not available as a part. Fortunately its not a very complicated piece to fabricate if I know the dimensions, ie:how long it should be. Then I could do with a picture of how it all goes together as its hard to visualise with everything removed on my axle. Are these things you can help me with?
Cheers in anticipation, Rave
Rave Wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
It would be interesting to know more about your Trekker. Year? Exhaust and heating setup? I'm assuming right hand drive. Do you have the b-pillar extensions for the 3 point seatbelts? What years was the Trekker available in the UK?

I had the opportunity to see one at a car show in the US. I believe it eventually made it way back to the UK

Pics taken in 2005.

Hi, So it was registered in 1970! RHD but carries a 181 chassis no! Believed to be the first imported and probably as an exhibition car/dealership promotion. As I understand it, Trekkers were imported from this time til 74/76 but then discontinued due to lack of demand and/or safety considerations! No door pillar extensions, simple lap belts. I'm now fittting a 1600 single port twin webber. A heater has come with it( not sure if original but heater control switch mounted on the dash.
Hope that helps,
Cheers, Rave
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

I don't think there is any way to tell the difference between a 181 VIN and a 182 VIN. The 3rd digit would simply be a year digit. In the case of a 182 built in 1970, it would start out simply as 180.

Curious whether all Trekkers retrained the swing axles or did they go to IRS say about 1973.

The example I've shown certain has some 1974 elements to it such as the hamster cheeks and cowl mounted mirrors. I wonder if later Trekker retained the gas heaters or used the Beetle style heating.

Pretty sure your gas heater setup is factory. US versions got the Beetle heat in 1974. The reason they dropped the gas heater was that they were so expensive. It was cheaper to add heat exchangers.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

Sure, I'll take a few pics tomorrow and send them to you
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

THere you have them.
Rave Wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: back axle/shocks Reply with quote

Nice One, thank you so much. That's quite an extension! Would it be possible for you to measure the length of the spacer and post here. Great to see the brake line run too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: