Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Hello,

Originally, I heard this sound when turning left from a stop and would soon go away when accelerating. But, it seems to be getting worse and now I hear the sound when starting from a stop and going straight. I hear the clunking sound when starting out in first or second gear. I realize it could be a number of things, but I have determined the sound totally goes away while still moving and depressing the clutch pedal. The sound seems to be louder when under a greater
load as in starting from a stop going uphill. Recent work as been to replace both axles but I heard the clunking sound before replacement. I would appreciate hearing of any possible problems.

Regards, John
San Clemente, CA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Check your CV Joints.
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

I replace both axles and CV joints with new units supplied from the thing shop. The noise was the same before and after installing new axles and CV joints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Make sure the large stub axle nuts are good and tight, may not be visibly obvious if they are just snug. Weird things can happen if they can move under load. Stub axle bearings? Is there a lot of play when jacked up? The change in sound while turning would lead me in that direction.
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I値l check the axle nuts this weekend.

Someone else had the idea this car may be lifted more than it should. This car was almost as tall as a Thing with a 3 inch body lift. I知 thinking to get the extra height the previous owner adjusted the rear torsion bars.
From the bottom of the front bumper to ground in 17 inches and from the bottom of the rear bumper to ground is 19 inches. Do you think too much angle is a possibility?? If it is lifted too much, what would be the easiest way to bring it down. Re-adjust the torsion bars, adjustable spring plates, or maybe smaller tires. Currently I have 215/75/15 size tires.
Thanks for your help.
John

Last edited by Johnnyw on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

I just checked my axles angle. Parked in the garage they are at an 18ー angle.

Last edited by Johnnyw on Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

I have 16" inches under the bumper front and rear, if I let my air shocks out it's closer to 15". I know people use different cv joints for high lift but I don't know which ones. It would be easy to test, get someone or two to sit in the back and weigh it down for a test ride.

Edit: If you use your spouse don't say you need something heavy in the car.
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

KA,

Thanks for your reply. That was my thought exactly. This weekend I値l gather up a couple of people and go for a ride around the block. Good tip on not making a comment to my wife.

I値l keep everyone posted.

John
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Today after reducing the air pressure down to 20 psi in all 4 tires my son, my wife, and a toolbox sat in the luggage area and I went for a short drive. There was reduction in the clunking noise. Very possibly the rear torsion bars are indexed to high creating my problem. I was considering ordering a smaller size tire and I値l probably follow through with that. My current size is 215/7515 and I will probably buy a 205/7515 size tire.
After the tire purchase next month, I will then look into re-indexing the torsion bars.

If anybody has additional comments, I壇 like to hear them.

Regards, John.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Hi John,
Going from a 215/75R15 to a 205/75R15 is not going to lower the car.
205 is 8" wide, so it's narrower not lower. I run 205/70R15 which is within
a half inch of the stock 14" tire, so the speedometer is close to original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Harp,
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the tire rack specs when I decided on 205 75 as a possible size. Tire rack specs for a 215 75 has a diameter of 27.7 inches. 205 75 has a diameter of 27.1 inches.
The 205 70 size tire has a diameter of 26.3 inches. That size is also a consideration. What brand and model 205 70s are you currently using.

Regards, John.
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Harp,

What is the height of your wheel arch from the ground on the front and rear wheels. Curious what the difference is with your current tires vs mine.
My front measures 30 1/4 inches from arch to ground and the rear is 31 1/2 inches. Based on your dimensions will give me an idea how much I need to lower the front and rear to get closer to a stock spec.

Thanks for your help, John

Last edited by Johnnyw on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
Hi John,
Going from a 215/75R15 to a 205/75R15 is not going to lower the car.
205 is 8" wide, so it's narrower not lower. I run 205/70R15 which is within
a half inch of the stock 14" tire, so the speedometer is close to original.

205/75R15 is absolutely lower than 215/75R15 because it has a shorter sidewall. The height of the sidewall is calculated as a percentage of the width of the tire - that's why they call it the aspect ratio.

215mm x .75 = 161.25 mm

205mm x .75 = 153.75 mm
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

I just measured wheel arch to ground, front 27 7/8" , rear 28 3/4". The tires are Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 from Tire Rack.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Harp,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful information.

John.
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Clunking sound when starting from a stop. Reply with quote

Update:

After purchasing new tires, 205/70/15 and re-indexing the torsion bars from 27ー spring plate angle down to 22ー. My problem has been solved. A quick measurement today showed my rear arch ranging from 28 5/8 to 29 inches side to side. And the rear rockers measuring 12 to 12 1/4 inches side to side. These are similar differences I had before starting the project. Today I thought I might try and fine-tune the difference but in the heat of the battle I decided to make the same change on the driver side as I did earlier on the passenger side.

Thanks again for your comments and recommendations.

John.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: