Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

I have owned many VWs over the years but recently acquired a 1950 Hoffman Sedan ( I also own a very low mileage 1977 Sunroof Sedan, and wanted one of the first VWs in the US to go along with one of the last!). This car was restored at some point in the past, but I know little about who did the work and when. If anyone knows my car, and has info on it, I would appreciate it! I purchased it from the widow of the previous owner.

I know there are some things that are not correct on my car, and would like to correct those items over time. I could use some advice on what is correct and what is not on my car, and have included a few pics here.

I like driving my cars-my son and I just did a 2,600 mile trip in my stock 1930 Model A Fordor Sedan, and i would like to put some miles on this VW, too. However, a few issues off the bat. The wiring looks to be well done in the engine compartment. but is a bit of a mess in the trunk. When I got the car, I noticed the generator light did not come on with the key. Pulling the wiring cover back revealed why-the light was unplugged, and is on all of the time once the key is on -in other words, it does not go off when the engine is running. A friend of mine and I adjusted the voltage regulator, and a multimater indicateds 7.4-8 volts at higher rpm at the regulator, but-here is the strange part, up to 32 volts at the battery at higher rpms. We disconnected the wiring at the voltage regulator, and even removed the fan belt, and still get 14 plus volts at the battery at higher rpms. With the engine off, the battery reads about 6 volts. This makes no sense to either of us, so i thought I would see if anyone here has any ideas!

As mentioned, I am looking forward to correcting things and improving things, and would like to the dash pods restored properly, make sure things like the upholstery is correct, etc., but would like to get this car so its at least reliable so I can drive it for the next couple of months. Any advice/guidance are truly appreciated-this is my first split.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Ok so it seems it was the multimeter itself that was bad. Normal voltage at all points now. Still have to figure out why the generator light is on all of the time, and a few other electrical issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
I also own a very low mileage 1977 Sunroof Sedan, and wanted one of the first VWs in the US to go along with one of the last!

Awesome! Please post photos of them together at some point.

Heinz Nordhoff
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

You need a cover for the battery, Very Important!
Also: the lower pulley on the engine looks wrong.
BTW, very nicely restored engine.

Don
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
You need a cover for the battery, Very Important!
Also: the lower pulley on the engine looks wrong.
BTW, very nicely restored engine.

Don

X2 , and or rubber boots over the battery terminal
perfect recipe for a fire there
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Agreed about the battery. I want to put it so that it is correct,and have been collecting the parts to do so. When I bought the car, it had a Gel battery laid on its side, but that would not hold a charge (it was fairly old). I bought this from napa just to get be able to start and move the car under its own power. It seems that once the cover is on, the seats springs will push right down onto the battery, as they are much bulkier than later VWs. Is that how they were?

I will get a photo of the 50 and 77 together at some point-this 50 is at my house in Chicago, while the 77 is at my house in Chandler, AZ. Not sure which will end up being moved.

Joe Ruiz built the engine-there was a receipt for it in the car, from 2012. But I do not think it has done many miles since then, something I full intend to change!

Here are a couple of photos of my 1977 for those interested.

René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Beautiful cars, both of them!

I owned that '50 from 1996 to 2004. I've just sent a long email with information about its history.
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

For me the pulley looks just the correct one. The upper, generator pulley is updated at some point, when this version in the pics introduced on Jan 1951.

The correct Split battery height is 215mm.

Red color is very nice!
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Beautiful Split! Applause
I had a 9/01/50 Hoffman that regret selling.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Doesn't look bad at all, congratulations and looking forward to seeing your updates
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Thanks all! Looks like the generator is not charging after all, so I will be tackling that next. Will post some updates as I move along!
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Congrats, nice looking split. I used to have a bordeaux red sunroof 1950. I miss it. Very nice engine, lots of the very hard to find correct bits already there.

As for your electrical/gen issue, I would first suspect the regulator. The blue wire on the reg goes right to the gen bulb in the pod and, with the engine off, should be at ground. The pod bulb is tied to 6V, and is actuated on the ground side. When the engine is running, the contact/term at the reg should open, thus taking ground away from the pod bulb and it should go out.

What is the voltage at the big red wire connection on the reg whit 1) engine off, 2) engine at idle and 3) engine revved up?

It is possible that the contact in the regulator that opens the pod bulb ground is bad, but the regulator could still be regulating voltage to the battery.

Good, working D regulators are hard to find. Many people sell them "Good, used/working" but they don't. There is a contact in those regs that has to be visually inspected (it wears away to nothing over time) for me to believe that a regulator is "good". And unfortunately, you can't just replace the contact in them.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Congrats, nice looking split. I used to have a bordeaux red sunroof 1950. I miss it.

Sorry to hear you sold the split I thought your new place was going to have plenty of room.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Congrats, nice looking split. I used to have a bordeaux red sunroof 1950. I miss it.

Sorry to hear you sold the split I thought your new place was going to have plenty of room.

It does. But I think I sold it 11-12 years ago now.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Wow! I guess I haven't seen you in a while
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Nice find! Nice to see you get an earlier car!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Thanks again for the responses-I have not been on here for a week and a half, so my apologies for not responding. Further testing showed the generator was not charging, so it is being rebuilt. Once that is back in place, I am hoping the charging issues are resolved, and I can sort out some more of the wiring. I'd like to put some miles on this car, and over time start correcting things...I believe the rear apron should have a starter crank hole, for example. And I will probably get the interior done as it is not the correct material, which apparently was not available when this car was redone in the 1990s.

I am not sure if I should keep the color, or go back to the original green-I like it as it is, but if I am going to truly to get it back to original, a change should really be made. That of course could be quite a rabbit hole, and while I do want the car to be as correct as possible, I am just not sure if it is worth going through all that is involved to do that right.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

pm sent about your '77 Beetle. Very Happy
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:

Joe Ruiz built the engine-there was a receipt for it in the car, from 2012. But I do not think it has done many miles since then, something I full intend to change!

For the record, I did not build the COMPLETE engine but rather only the long block.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me Hoffman and Some Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe! We talked shortly after I purchased this car and I am planning to do something, once I get a few other items sorted on this VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: