Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Model years '56-'60
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

I have been reading through old topics in here, and lots of people say that there were no model years for Karmann Ghias until sometime in the '60s.

This information was fairly hard to find, but Volkswagenwerk GMBH did explicitly state the model years for the cars which it produced. Karmann Ghias are a little different from beetles. Still, feel free to call your car whatever you like.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/60salesmanbook.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

You can't just light the fuse and retire gracefully Lind. Laughing
I know you've had early KG so what do you think?

For all his faults Richard Troy is a pedant concerning Karmann Ghia facts and he will always tell you there were no KG Model Years until 1964 and I can see what he means; changes to the early cars drip fed with changes throughout the years.
On the other hand Mike Gregory at "House of Ghia" insists they all have Model Years.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Interesting.
I finally sent my VIN in for my birth certificate and listed my car as a 1956 off the assumption that if it was made in ‘56 it’s a ‘56, but the Certificate came back with “1957” on it in big, black letters.
So, on what basis did Richard claim that VW didn’t do model year? From an advertising and marketing perspective it makes no sense. Almost all auto manufacturers made and make a big deal about introducing the “new” model. Did VW wait until January to introduce their new models? Do advertising and marketing materials for the new model year date from January? I just wonder where Richard got his info?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
You can't just light the fuse and retire gracefully Lind. Laughing
I know you've had early KG so what do you think?

For all his faults Richard Troy is a pedant concerning Karmann Ghia facts and he will always tell you there were no KG Model Years until 1964 and I can see what he means; changes to the early cars drip fed with changes throughout the years.
On the other hand Mike Gregory at "House of Ghia" insists they all have Model Years.

I think that VW intended the first Karmann Ghias to be 1956 models for the upcoming change to model years. This was right around when they were putting huge effort into the American market, which would go on to be very important for them.

The Europeans seemed to care less about model years, and called a car whatever year it was made at that time at least. In the USA, titles are issued by states and they list whatever the car dealer told them at the time the title was originated, so there are plenty of cases of a car being titled as a year newer because it was unsold inventory from the previous year and VW didn't make a new look for their cars every year.

my earliest Ghia has been titled/registered as a 1955 since it was sold new in Germany. So regardless of what the literature says, it has always been considered a '55. For the early Ghia folks, calling it a '55 denotes it's early production and is whatever badge of honor. So I would consider it a '56 model year, but call it a '55. Past that, I am pretty much on board with the list above. I know generally what they changed when they changed it, and I break things down into different production zones from model years anyway. I am mostly into buses, but to me, there are early '50 buses, and late '50 buses, which are the same as early '51 buses, which are very different from late '51 buses, etc. I consider that when they went to the new steering wheel, knobs and fuel gauge, those were '58 ghias.

In the end, a car is what it is and it has whatever features it has, and the owner will call it whatever they want. Some owners like to tell other owners what their cars are, and maybe it is best to just say when it was produced. The lucky owners have cars built between january and july without any question what year they are. People with cars built in the fall can look forward to different folks arguing different things.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Another data point to consider when weighing the merits of the pedant’s information is that his written sales pitch for our car stated that it was built so late in ‘59 that it would not be unexpected to see ‘60 features on it.

Our car’s build date is Dec. 6, 1958.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Do advertising and marketing materials for the new model year date from January? I just wonder where Richard got his info?

Have a look at the publication dates of the Lowlight Owners Manuals: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Do advertising and marketing materials for the new model year date from January? I just wonder where Richard got his info?

Have a look at the publication dates of the Lowlight Owners Manuals: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia.php

Interesting.
Yeah, unlike with later years, there is no major departures in features dating back to a single date. So my October ‘56 production car has the same features as a July 56 car but none of the upgrades of say a March 57 production car.
So maybe RT was basing it on the owners manuals?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

RT is more interested in build date rather than model year because VW didn't save all the changes for the next model year to be implemented at one time, instead they made changes throughout production. For example my original May 59 built lowlight Ghia has hybrid 59/60 doors with a mash up of parts from both years as VW started to insert 60 parts into production. It also has 60 visors. When building a lowlight you really need to know the build date to get the details right and disregard model year. My December 58 Ghia cabriolet was sold in 58 and registered as a 58, even though it's a 59 "model" year, which further muddies the waters.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Ghia rookie here and mine is a May 20 1960 build. I think its a Mutt VW but you all would know more than me.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Model years are a marketing thing. They definitely existed on all VWs starting in 1955 for the '56 model year. All Karmann Ghias were made in the model year era.

The generally accepted style of restorations today is to make the cars very close to the way that they were when they were delivered to their first owner, except for the things that people are customizing. VW considered them to be functional cars that might need updated with later parts if original parts were not available or the later parts were of a better design.

Call your car whatever you like. Call someone else's car what you like at your own peril....
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Call your car whatever you like. Call someone else's car what you like at your own peril....

Indeed, I had a December '59 Beetle...I always called it a '59, even when advertising it in The Samba Classifieds. Nobody took a shot at me. Laughing
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

So at the shop yesterday we were discussing this. Our takeaway is that the model year designation had more to do with marketing than any real association with model since the 55-early 57 cars had very little apparent changes. They all had the same color schemes and of course the bodies didn’t change except for some minor things that were evolving changes over the production run. It wasn’t until what, February or so of ‘57 that the real changes hit, meaning the fresh air paddles debuted and they introduced the gas gauge? And of course the real big model year changes hit in August 58 with the different color schemes, the new steering wheel, interior light, seats, door panels, etc.
We figured that in fall of 1956 if you went into the VW dealer and they happened to have a Ghia on the floor they weren’t likely to have a sign on it saying 1956 when all the other models were labeled 1957. Even though there was no discernible difference between a July 1956 production car and a October 1956 car they weren’t going to sell it as last years model at a discount.
I guess that’s why with the early cars the idea of year of production dictates model year makes sense. Otherwise someone with a January 1957 car, which is the same as a August 56 car, could call theirs a “1956.”
Or maybe this is all a long winded apology for me wanting to call my Oct 56 production car a “1956.”

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Or maybe this is all a long winded apology for me wanting to call my Oct 56 production car a “1956.”

None needed...the thing is if you went into a VW Service Dept for a spare part for your Dec '56 Beetle you would ask for the part for a '57 Beetle. If you went and asked for a part for your Dec '56 KG and quoted it was for a '57 KG, who knows what you'd get. You'd have to come armed with the Vin #. Laughing
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

None needed...the thing is if you went into a VW Service Dept for a spare part for your Dec '56 Beetle you would ask for the part for a '57 Beetle. If you went and asked for a part for your Dec '56 KG and quoted it was for a '57 KG, who knows what you'd get. You'd have to come armed with the Vin #. Laughing
When people come to my shop looking for parts, I always recommend to them that they bring in the old part.

The dealership would be happy to sell you any part that fits, and they always would need the VIN number to see what the parts list shows as the applicable part. Parts lists don't use model year, although model year did get incorporated into the VIN starting in 1965.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Hello from Germany. I've been to the Karmann factory in Osnabrück a total of 14 times, have had many discussions and have been researching the Karmann Ghia 1955-1959 Lowlight since 2007. It simply doesn't matter what Richard Troy or anyone else thinks. Troy cannot know either because Volkswagen itself does not know. Ask 5 people from Volkswagen and you will get 4 different answers. Changes were made during production that were not always noted and then did not appear in the catalogues. Nobody, really nobody, can prove how it really was. Nobody has the corresponding papers and even if there were a paper for the model year or production year, probably nobody has the follow-up paper where the next change would be noted. I am particularly concerned with special colors for the lowlight, i.e. body colors that were not in the official brochures, but were realised. It is no longer comprehensible what exactly happened when in 1956 a buyer wanted the Karmann in gold metallic, for example. He got the car in gold metallic. But there is no evidence of the exact procedure from ordering to delivery when the color request was noted. Most likely a catalog color was ordered and then, whatever, gold metallic eventually became. And these cars with special colors existed, demonstrably. Richard Troy is not the Karmann Ghia god, nobody is and nobody will be. Certainly one can deduce some facts and make an assumption, but nothing more.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
Hello from Germany. I've been to the Karmann factory in Osnabrück a total of 14 times, have had many discussions and have been researching the Karmann Ghia 1955-1959 Lowlight since 2007. It simply doesn't matter what Richard Troy or anyone else thinks. Troy cannot know either because Volkswagen itself does not know. Ask 5 people from Volkswagen and you will get 4 different answers. Changes were made during production that were not always noted and then did not appear in the catalogues. Nobody, really nobody, can prove how it really was. Nobody has the corresponding papers and even if there were a paper for the model year or production year, probably nobody has the follow-up paper where the next change would be noted. I am particularly concerned with special colors for the lowlight, i.e. body colors that were not in the official brochures, but were realised. It is no longer comprehensible what exactly happened when in 1956 a buyer wanted the Karmann in gold metallic, for example. He got the car in gold metallic. But there is no evidence of the exact procedure from ordering to delivery when the color request was noted. Most likely a catalog color was ordered and then, whatever, gold metallic eventually became. And these cars with special colors existed, demonstrably. Richard Troy is not the Karmann Ghia god, nobody is and nobody will be. Certainly one can deduce some facts and make an assumption, but nothing more.

Thanks for that Udo. Smile In the end you have to go with what you believe. I used Richard Troy as an example of someone who was well known in the past and has written on the subject...as you say it's just a personal opinion with no real written proof.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

Thanks for that Udo. Smile In the end you have to go with what you believe. I used Richard Troy as an example of someone who was well known in the past and has written on the subject...as you say it's just a personal opinion with no real written proof.

RT is like Monty Python's Brian to me
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

I think Trylon would think he was more like Judas. Laughing
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

Laughing

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Model years '56-'60 Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.

Fun thread. I appreciate Lind posting that internal dealership document. As I reported in years past, there was continuous refinement and development of the model as Karmann tried desperately to meet demand of what turned out to be its biggest seller to date. Bear in mind that they were a traditional coachbuilding company, using the same handwork-intensive techniques as other contemporary coachbuilding firms (i.e. Reutter, Wendler, Hebmueller, Beutler, etc.), and trying to evolve their construction of the KG from something less labor-intensive into something easier to produce. There were approximately one month or longer delays in lead times on hard parts from suppliers, for things like instruments, powerplants, and brake parts, so a scholarly analysis of the dates of implementation of production detail changes will often reflect this reality (i.e. a brake cylinder change implemented on the Beetle line would eventually arrive on the Karmann Type 14 line several weeks later). And it also bears mentioning that in this work environment, Wilhelm Karmann had an open-door policy in his shop that if a production line worker had an idea that would save time and/or cost in assembling their cars, if the idea could be implemented and was, the worker would be given a small cash bonus! I believe this can be seen reflected in the evolution of small details on the Type 14’s, such as the finishing of the rain gutters, the September 16, 1957-up steering wheel trim cover, nose badge pressing and emblem, and the taillight assembly design, for example. Some changes must have been driven by VW corporate to make the little cars seem slightly more upmarket (the addition of the gas gauge and special steering wheel from September 16, 1957, to “lift” the model above its Beetle origins just a bit further). Karmann also was in the process of constructing a new factory facility (on Martinistrasse in Osnabrueck) to meet the demand for the new car (in addition to the Beetle Cabriolet, DKW, and Ford Cabriolet models they were producing at the same time). There was a lot going on there!

Those of us who know these earlier (pre-1960) cars more intimately quickly realize that thinking in terms of “Model Year” is very foolish – it really does you no favors when ordering replacement parts. My former September 22, 1957-produced Brilliant Red Coupe, which was produced in the first few days of the “1958” interior and color scheme and was a very low mileage car and original in all respects, itself had a number of handmade solutions for various things, such as hand-made rolled beading around the rear window defroster vent (later cars had a molded plastic part for this), and clear red gelatine plastic cover between the license light assembly and the engine bay cover, to tidy things up a bit. This car had an earlier style of brake wheel cylinders that the Beetle production line had superseded the month prior, and Karmann documented its implementation of the new part number on its Type 14 production line the same day my car came off the line! Thus the Coupes and Cabriolets that were a few steps behind mine received the updated parts.

For whatever it’s worth, this car was purchased in the Frankfurt area the day after the 1957 IAA car show ended, by an American tourist, and it was paperwork identified it as a 1957 Volkswagen.

The concept of “Model Year” was very much an American construct that revolved around marketing, “keeping up with the Joneses” consumer culture (that was running wild in the prosperous post-war 1950’s of the United States and recovering western Europe) and planned obsolescence. American car manufacturers were restyling their best-selling models ANNUALLY. Volkswagen’s Doyle Dane Bernbach ads famously made light of this to sell Beetles to level-headed folks.

Best wishes to all of my Karmann Ghia friends,

Dave

Last edited by retrowagen on Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: