Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quiet muffler
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveGIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

I put a "new" rebuilt stock 1600 engine in the Thing. When i put it in I installed a stainless steel EMPI 2 tip exhaust system. My kid walked in the house and said "Dad the exhaust looks sick!" whatever that means. I love the deep tone and the way it gurgles when you down shift! But.. IT IS LOUD!!! Loud in the car, Loud behind the car. My ears ring when i drive more than 15 minutes. Suggestions for a quieter exhaust? I'm considering a dual quiet pack system
if I do a dual quiet pack EMP or Tri Mil?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

After 40 some years driving Things, The nicest exhaust system I have ever used is the Vintage Speed "extra quiet" Thing muffler (it has an additional internal baffle).

It's big, bulky and shiny stainless, but, to me, it is still the un-disputed best. The shine dulls down and soon the muffler looks OK.
If I had it to do again, I would have had the muffler jet hot coated black before it was installed, but that is just my taste. My Thing is a '73, so I also use his J-tubes.

High quality, easy installation, not inexpensive, but you only buy it once.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Wanted to ask, what type of air cleaner are you running?

My 73 upon purchase had a small chrome air cleaner and stock 73 dual exhaust w/convertible top and it was flat out loud at 55-60 you couldn't really hear
the passenger talk without yelling or the radio very well.

I put the oil bath air filter system back on it and it quieted it down a lot.
I noticed I didn't have to yell at my passenger to have a conversation at 55mph, so
it could be exhaust but also the type of air breather assembly you're running that can also attribute to the noise factor.

Let us know what you find, after the last Kubeltreffen i've been mulling some performance upgrades on my 73' and am curious.

And that muffler Mondshine mentioned looks like a nice one too.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

I currently have The Thing Shop's stainless header setup but I wish I had gone with the Vintage Speed for several reasons.

1) Vintage Speed places the muffler on the rear of the engine whereas The Thing Shop places them on the side. This makes valve adjustment a bit more difficult.

2) Vintage Speed's pre-heater is more efficient with a high and low pressure side .
SteveGIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

I'm running the stock oil bath air cleaner. When i put the new engine in I stuck with stock so I could keep the air cleaner and vapor recovery system.

doublecanister wrote:
Hey Steve,

Wanted to ask, what type of air cleaner are you running?

My 73 upon purchase had a small chrome air cleaner and stock 73 dual exhaust w/convertible top and it was flat out loud at 55-60 you couldn't really hear
the passenger talk without yelling or the radio very well.

I put the oil bath air filter system back on it and it quieted it down a lot.
I noticed I didn't have to yell at my passenger to have a conversation at 55mph, so
it could be exhaust but also the type of air breather assembly you're running that can also attribute to the noise factor.

Let us know what you find, after the last Kubeltreffen i've been mulling some performance upgrades on my 73' and am curious.

And that muffler Mondshine mentioned looks like a nice one too.

T
vws-microcars4jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I run a Gene Berg header with single quiet pack exhaust, to me it is just the right amount of bark, yet quiet at idle. You didn't mention if your bumper is stock, may affect you choice. Mine is homemade.

Jim
SteveGIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

vws-microcars4jim wrote:

Thanks so much for the input. My bumper is decidedly not stock.
no exhaust holes to be found.

I run a Gene Berg header with single quiet pack exhaust, to me it is just the right amount of bark, yet quiet at idle. You didn't mention if your bumper is stock, may affect you choice. Mine is homemade.

Jim
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

It would have been useful for you to mention your non-stock rear bumper in your original post.

Probably, the best option for you will be a good quality stock beetle exhaust system. Best for sound, best for heat (for your '74), and best for heat risers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

Which of the three Vintage Speed Thing mufflers is the "extra quiet" one?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Which of the three Vintage Speed Thing mufflers is the "extra quiet" one?

If I remember correctly, you request "extra quiet" when the order is placed.

From my original invoice; 9/9/2020

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet muffler Reply with quote

I have long used a bug exhaust with shortened resonators so they don't stick much passed the bumper. Good enough in my book for use with a stock engine on the street.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: