Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear shock mounting options
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

Just bought this buggy last weekend. There are things that I'm going to correct or change. And these rear shock mounts look like they aren't made for factory trailing arms. While ripping around my property today, the driver side bolt broke right off. I expected issues at some point because the shocks hit the mounting in the trailing arm when extended.

What's a good solution? I'm not a a financial position for better trailing arms at this time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

19?? Sandrail project - soon to be for sale!
1960 Beetle - My first car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

After you have lots of fun getting that broken bolt out of the mount, you might think about adding a tab from the motor mount brace to put the shock bolt in double sheer instead of putting all that leverage on that poor bolt.

You may also need to add some bump stops as the shock might be doing that job now. They don't need to be expensive. Wrecking yards are a good source for all sorts of bump stops. Or even just steel to steel.

It could also be that the shock is too short for the job.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

Yes! That bolt isn't tight - thank goodness. I can move it a little with my finger. This weekend I'm going to weld a nut to it and just unscrew it. I believe these are stock shocks for a bug, but since the mounting is different from a bug, it could be too short. I'm not looking for anything high-end, just functional.

Does anyone on here have pictures of shock mounting for a Chenowth frame like this?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

The problem is not trailing arm it is the geometry of the shock... Upper mount is positioned wrong for clearance of trailing arm...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

Quick fix just do a simple double sheer mount like dustymojave said. The position the shock is in after it broke off is where it wants to be, looks like you have a frame section that just needs a couple tabs welded on and you have a mount. Some 3 inch wide 3/16 flat strap steel can be found in the remnants section of any steel yard for cheap.

The simplest way to make matching tabs quick is to cut a section of strap steel the length of two tabs plus the diameter of the tube on your frame then with a matching hole saw (in red) drill/Cut thru and like Magic you have two tabs with the notch, now you clamp the tabs together in a vice drill your mounting hole debur and weld EZ. Cost you 5 bucks at the most.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

IF you are looking for tabs, this site has many options and they are not expensive....

https://www.aa-mfg.com/product-category/shock-mounts/

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

The eggspurts say the shock bolts are supposed to be parallel to the diagonal arm pivot bolt.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
The eggspurts say the shock bolts are supposed to be parallel to the diagonal arm pivot bolt.

100% agree like it is from the factory. Building a mount that turns the top pivot parallel with the bottom might be way past the OPs skill level. A number of us would have this issue fixed in a couple hours not everybody is at that skill level. A few home brewed weld tabs made dirt cheap is better then the goof ball single shear designed that failed and was off by a mile. OP said money was tight.
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

You guys have some very good advice. I'm going to see if I can get the top bolt parallel with the trailing arm pivot like previously mentioned. That makes sense. Honestly, I hadn't thought of that. These shock bosses were on the buggy when I got it, so I assumed they were original to the frame, but now I'm thinking the weren't. They have got to go!
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

I’ve been busy and haven’t had a lot of time to mess with this issue. But last week I burned some tabs and I think they’ll will work. I’d like some feedback. They aren’t 100% ready to be welded, I still have some grinding to do. From measuring my other buggy, they are going to be mounted about a half inch higher than stock. The pivot follows the trailing arm better as well.

Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

That is exactly what tou need. Maybe beef it up a little incase you bottom the shock out and add a bar to your hoop or something.
not necessarily that exact point but somewhere that will spread the load better
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

I got these made up and welded in last weekend. I don't love my welds though - a bit thicker than I wanted. But they are pretty sturdy. I'll at a reinforcement on the top tube eventually.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

About your welds, if they hold they are good.... IF you want to improve it takes practice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

Your work seems to be taking you in right direction.....

JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

I’ve grown up around welding, but I only weld here and there on my projects and very occasionally at work. These tabs were surprisingly challenging to weld because of their positions. If I were to do it again, I’d weld it differently. And I think I should have moved a bit faster with the mig torch.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

How has the fix been doing? It looked good.

Just FYI... Buggy frames don't come from the makers with shock mounts 99% of the cases. Either designed to use the factory VW shock mounts, or intended to get shock mounts custom fabricated.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

Just FYI... Buggy frames don't come from the makers with shock mounts 99% of the cases. Either designed to use the factory VW shock mounts, or intended to get shock mounts custom fabricated.

Well I haven’t had a chance to test it yet! I pulled the gas tank and decided to mount a smaller tank in a different way. That’s finally finished and I plan to drive this weekend.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

JeffnDes1977 wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

Well I haven’t had a chance to test it yet! I pulled the gas tank and decided to mount a smaller tank in a different way. That’s finally finished and I plan to drive this weekend.

Aaaannndddd?????? Question
SoCalBajas Member
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

The new mounts work very well. I'm happy with the setup. I'm probably on the top-end of the mounting though. I feel like I should get oil filled shocks and use limiting straps to keep from tearing them up. Oh and I have my new gas tank installed and I like that too.

woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

Looking good, I would have to lay those seats back some to make to make for a more comfortable ride.
Kenric
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock mounting options Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
Looking good, I would have to lay those seats back some to make to make for a more comfortable ride.
Kenric

Oh yeah. They beat the snot out of me. I don’t love them. The seat rails came on the car, but I barely made those seats work. Really, they aren’t great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: