Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
This car is incredibly beautiful.

I especially love the wheel transformation.

Prior to seeing this I did not know why I did like not the two color wheels on stock '63s such as mine, but now I know why.

At some point during production, the inner and outer colors were reversed. Body color on yours is outside with the cream color on the inside. For my year, the body color is on the inside with the cream on the outside.

I much prefer the cream inners.

I share your opinion on the cream inners. It looks much better like that Cool
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

difrangia wrote:
That is a beautiful vintage VW and some very nice preservation work. Very inspiring for me as coral is my favorite color for this era. For the last year or so I've been considering letting the 57 Deluxe that I've had stashed in the barn (original coral red car) for 35 years go to an new caretaker. Seeing this car kinda puts a different spin on my thinking. Since acquiring this car, I've never considered a different color than the original coral in the event that I pulled it out and and started work on it. It's almost a virtual zero rust car per my original evaluation. I've been enjoying the heck out of the 63/64 rag-top 117 this Summer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks! If you can you should keep the 57. How far are you on the project? Is there a topic so I can follow the progress? Cool
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Very nice work so far!

Will you try to relocate the taillamps further down to the correct height? They are now also unfortunately at a mismatched height with the left one being slightly higher than the right one, and both appear to be slightly too far outboard. You can see the deviations if you use the outward kink of the fenders as reference point, then draw a horizontal line through the kinks*.

For comparison, here are the factory-correct locations on a '60 (Stock Steve gallery) taken at a similar view angle to your car. A '60 would have the taillamps in the same position and height as on your car.

You might be able to move the housings down and inward closer to where they should be, with the housings still covering up the original holes. That would save you from closing up the original exposed holes and painting them or the entire fenders.

*Here's the horizontal reference line shown on a US-spec '67. The two kinks did not change position on the body. The taillamps are of course at exactly the same height.
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Very nice work so far!

Will you try to relocate the taillamps further down to the correct height? They are now also unfortunately at a mismatched height with the left one being slightly higher than the right one, and both appear to be slightly too far outboard. You can see the deviations if you use the outward kink of the fenders as reference point, then draw a horizontal line through the kinks*.

For comparison, here are the factory-correct locations on a '60 (Stock Steve gallery) taken at a similar view angle to your car. A '60 would have the taillamps in the same position and height as on your car.

You might be able to move the housings down and inward closer to where they should be, with the housings still covering up the original holes. That would save you from closing up the original exposed holes and painting them or the entire fenders.

*Here's the horizontal reference line shown on a US-spec '67. The two kinks did not change position on the body. The taillamps are of course at exactly the same height.

Thanks!
Yes, refitting the lights on the correct height is on my to do list Very Happy
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

I bought a original red interior for the oval. In the future I would like to redo the interior in the original fabric but for now this will do Smile

it sure looks better than the all in black interior Wink

Yannick
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Wow, it looks so much nicer!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
difrangia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Again, such a beautiful survivor and a 'Time Machine'.
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Small update Smile

The oldspeed inspired engine has started for the first time today. I’ll post pictures soon Cool
Can’t wait to get this thing finally on the road Wink

Yannick
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

I love this car so much! Everything you have done is just great. Any info on the brown wheel paint code? Thank you!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Very nice work so far!

Pharquarx wrote:
Couldn't sleep, here we go. Reference the diagram above provided by Jim Henderson. These measurements I took off of my fenders were done with a tailor's tape and verified on a tracing, so they are actual dimensions, along the, and accounting for, the curve of the fender.

Blue Line dimension from the lower corner of the fender to the center of the large taillight hole = 15"
Blue Line dimension from the upper corner to the center of the large taillight hole = 6 3/4"
The large taillight hole is 1/2" diameter

Red line dimension from the lower corner of the fender to the center of the overrider hole = 7 3/8"
Red line dimension from the upper corner on the fender to the center of the overrider hole = 7"
The Horizontal dimension from the edge of the fender to the center of the overrider hole is 1 1/2"
The overrider hole diameter is 1"

Yellow line dimension from the lower corner of the fender to the center of the upper most tail light hole = 18 1/8"
Yellow line dimension from the upper corner on the fender to the center of the upper most taillight hole = 7 1/4"
The diameter of the upper most tail light hole is 3/8"

The middle tail light hole is located along a line between the lower larger tail light hole (intersection of the blue lines) and the upper most smaller tail light hole (intersection of the yellow lines)
The middle tail light hole (small lower one) is located 5/8" above the lower larger tail light hole (intersection of the blue lines) and 2 7/8 " below the upper most tail light hole (intersection of the yellow lines)
The distance between the center of the lower tail light hole (intersection of the blue lines) and the center of the upper most tail light hole (intersection of the yellow lines) is 3 1/2"
The diameter of the middle taillight hole is also 3/8"

Thanks to John at Sun Motors and especially to Jim Henderson with his markup above. I'm sure that I could have done this in a much more difficult way without their help.

hootowls wrote:
The following diagram is from "Der Motor Test," July 1958, showing the rear view drawing of a European bumper 58 sedan with relative dimensions for the location if the tail light housings. Note that "leer" means "empty" and the units are in millimeters. Thought the drawing might be useful for the ovals and the squares as this is common to both.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Very nice "uncal-look" job.

It must be unusual to have the North American-spec bullet turn signals in Belgium. I've always liked them.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Very nice "uncal-look" job.

It must be unusual to have the North American-spec bullet turn signals in Belgium. I've always liked them.

Thanks Cool
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Engine update Cool

I got the engine back which has been converted with a riechert kit, Fram filter and 'okrasa style' oilcooler (at the back of the doghouse).

I adjusted the tinware and painted it.

Not perfect, but good enough Wink

Some crapy phone photos

Better photos will folow when the car is ready. I'm almost there Very Happy

Yannick
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Lovely little car to begin with!! But then
all your innovations and renovations have made it truly stellar.

Full marks!
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

I have these photos of the car just before it was sold and shipped the Europe.
I was wondering if there is a way to get more history via the VIN or licenseplate? Wink
I think that the licenseplate is from California. But shouldn’t it be a black and yellow plate?

janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

The blue plate pictured was issued in 1980 or 81, when California first went to 7-character plates.
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Last weekend a friend of mine adjusted the exhaust to a abarth style one.

Another hobby of mine is photography, so I went for a drive and took my camera with me Smile

Last edited by VWGlassee on Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

And then changed the wheels to the 356 style wheels

scarabee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

Is that the final look for the wheels, or are you still adding caps?
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral red oval from Callook to original/oldspeed Reply with quote

scarabee wrote:
Is that the final look for the wheels, or are you still adding caps?

The final look is with the original wheels Wink I like this the most.
The 356 wheels are just for fun Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: