Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Hi Ya'll, I usually lurk over on the type 3 side of things and am newer to non stock engines.

I just had an engine built for my Squareback and am currently using the stock distributor as a place holder. It is a FI distributor SVDA type for type 3's. per the distributor info chart this distributor needs 200mm Hg to get max advance on the vacuum side of things. today I stuck a vacuum gauge on the engine to see what I'm getting as I was suspect that it was not enough

Here's what I got, at Idle I get a whopping 0
T'd vacuum I get roughly 100mm hg
1/2 side gives roughly 120mm hg
3/4 side gives roughly 80-90mm hg

So my question is should I even continue on the path of running a SVDA which seems to be the consensus of best running/best fuel economy or just go with a mechanical advance distributor and cap of the vacuum all together?

I do dream of crank trigger and running microsquirt for ignition but that's currently not in the budget. I'm looking for a solution that wont hurt the bank, and give decent reliability and I'm not afraid of adjusting points.

last question before I rattle on for too long here. With the current distributor I have should I even worry about not getting enough vacuum/ am I just not getting full advance?

Thanks in advance for all of your collective wisdom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

First off, you are head and shoulders above most here because you are actually MEASURING your vacuum and THINKING about it!

This is a common problem. We change cams and put multiple carbs on our engines to make it easier for the engine to breath which... wait for it... lowers the vacuum. If it did not then we have not gained any power! So now we have to match the new vacuum signal with an appropriate vacuum pot on the distributor.

Sure, just put an 009 on it set the idle mix fat and go. That is the easy way out and has worked for years especially for those who's driving style is two position, on or off the throttle. However, for the more refined driver that enjoys a smooth and responsive part throttle and for a bit better fuel economy there is an advantage to vacuum advance at part throttle. If there wasn't then there is a whole bunch of auto manufactures out there that wasted a whole lot of money for decades!

I too faced this conundrum when I changed cams and went dual Webers on my engine. My first solution was to open up the vacuum can on the distributor, put a lighter spring in it and make the spring tension adjustable. It showed a lot of promise and I am confident with more time it will work but... I was working long hours at the time and needed to get the car on the road for summer. Plus I was working with a Pertronices III distributor that had already failed once and I did not have much confidence in it. The pot conversion can be see near the end of this thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711733&highlight=

Someone here offered to sell me a used micro jolt crank trigger system for a very reasonable dollar and that ended my experiment. So much easier to do.

Some guys claim to have had good luck with an early VW 1200 adjustable pot distributor, off a 36 HP engine I think. That may be worth a try if you can find one.

Oh, and, you need to investigate the difference in vacuum you are seeing. It has to have a cause. Intake vacuum leak, uneven cylinder compression, carbs and linkage not balance throughout the throttle range... something is off.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Consider a 123 Ignition Tune+.

https://123ignition.com/product/tuneplus-4-r-v-v/

Allows you to take advantage of vacuum advance by pulling vacuum from your manifold.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

I have heard that those are good! I don't know how they are priced though.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have heard that those are good! I don't know how they are priced though.

Not cheap. I've got one coming from Concept1 in Calgary. $700+HST.

https://store.concept1.ca/123-Distributor-VW-Bluetooth-With-Vacuum-123-VW-04-73043/
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Shocked

I have less than that into my crank trigger system but then I got lucky on it.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

for $700 bucks I'd rather do a Microsquirt, coilpack, and crank trigger Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

At this point in my life, time is very much money. The 123 is plug and play for a noticeable improvement over a mechanical advance distributor.

I agree crank trigger is superior, but I'd need to acquire all the bits, learn about it, tinker with it, dial it in, etc. At my charge out rate for my time, I'd be well over $700 into the exercise.

Maybe on my T4 build in the future, I'll look into crank trigger.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Its the currewncy that kills the deal somewhat.
A Microsquirt also ads up, because it needs a separate electronic map Map. But correct. It gives you further options. The "problem" is that 80% of the hobby people have more than enough trouble understanding the 123 which runs 2D. Adding the 3rd dimension and most throw in the towel. I learned that the hard way.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Its the currewncy that kills the deal somewhat.
A Microsquirt also ads up, because it needs a separate electronic map Map. But correct. It gives you further options. The "problem" is that 80% of the hobby people have more than enough trouble understanding the 123 which runs 2D. Adding the 3rd dimension and most throw in the towel. I learned that the hard way.

Yes, I want the simplicity of tuning with an app on my phone. I don't want to hook up a laptop or mess with spark tables. This is not a race car, just a fun, hopefully reliable summer toy. The 123 fits well with what I'm after.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

I like the idea of crank trigger a ton, but the form factor of a real distributor without having to run any form of ignition table or management is just too easy.

I have a Daytona TCS-1 ignition controller that simply needs a locked out distributor to function, I've had it for a few years and still have yet to actually set it up and use it. It has a pretty nice tunable setup and even lets you use a GM MAP sensor for a 3D table.

But my busy/lazy ass still runs a $30 self-restored cast iron distributor with a vacuum pot on it Laughing

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I like the idea of crank trigger a ton, but the form factor of a real distributor without having to run any form of ignition table or management is just too easy.

Yes! ^^^ THIS ^^^ Very Happy
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Getting back to the vacum issue. The IDF carbs are notoriusly poor with vacum signal, To the point of almost non existant some times. They -can- be made to work, but it is not for the faint hearted. This is the second reason why I recommend something else than a SVDA on such engines. The 123 BT is relatively simple, and it is easier for "us" to help you dial it in and trouble shoot since we can basicly just hook up to your phone and see it real time or see a video of a run.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Getting back to the vacum issue. The IDF carbs are notoriusly poor with vacum signal, To the point of almost non existant some times. They -can- be made to work, but it is not for the faint hearted. This is the second reason why I recommend something else than a SVDA on such engines. The 123 BT is relatively simple, and it is easier for "us" to help you dial it in and trouble shoot since we can basicly just hook up to your phone and see it real time or see a video of a run.

Torben, what do you think a good starting point for static advance would be for this type of setup? 10 deg. or more? Maybe 12 deg.?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

With almost all dual carbed engines I set them up to 10 degrees @ idle and go from there.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
With almost all dual carbed engines I set them up to 10 degrees @ idle and go from there.

Thanks!
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
First off, you are head and shoulders above most here because you are actually MEASURING your vacuum and THINKING about it!

Oh, and, you need to investigate the difference in vacuum you are seeing. It has to have a cause. Intake vacuum leak, uneven cylinder compression, carbs and linkage not balance throughout the throttle range... something is off.

Lots of great info above, sorry I wasn't watching this thread like a dummy. Laughing I did have the carbs off the engine briefly to check/change plugs last week when I was having timing wo's. I guess that's what I get for being a type 3 guy, the engine builder set the distributor drive gear up for a bug engine and I ended up with the timing set at something like 33* advanced at idle Embarassed borrowed the tool from him to spin the gear around right and got my timing marks on the distributor all sorted correctly to the motor. I ended up flipping it 180* and then one tooth counterclockwise. I'll double check the torque on the mounting studs for the manifolds too to be sure there's no leaks.

For $500 or so the 123 BT is cool but I'll keep saving up for crank trigger and microsquirt. its about half way to the price of MS crank trigger and would allow me to go farther down the line. eventually thinking of going back to FI Twisted Evil I wanted to experience all the hub-bub of carbs first after all the wo's of D-jet

Current situation I have is, I have a total of 3 distributors that came with the car, 1 that was running with the old motor, 1 that looks really clean with new points condenser but dwell wavers when you accelerate. the third is pretty rough looking and I haven't really inspected it

Part numbers are 311-905-205-AB and 311-905-205 L

AB was the one running in the car before on the 1600. It has a really odd vacuum pot with a 533 on the arm inside the dizzy, this pot points the vacuum port right into the generator on the Type 3's and is a headache to get timed because of it. It also has a tight spot when spinning it out of the engine and the points not rubbing the cam.

L is super clean and has the correct vacuum pot for the car #265. This one the breaker plate has a bit of play which I'm guessing where the dwell drop is coming from. best guess is the fiber washer(s?) is toast.

I know we're dealing with a bigger motor but from best I can tell these are both almost an 034 copy with fuel injection "points" at the bottom to run injectors
I made a little block off plate for the FI points and removed them while running both dizzy's

I'm currently leaning towards rebuilding the L distributor and getting rid of the play and stabilizing the dwell. from there I can maybe play around with different vacuum pots.
I also saw this https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Anti-Pulse-Valve-for...-valve.htm and thought it might be a decent option to help stabilize the signal from the webers.

Lastly as far as the signal I am getting. the 533 pot gets 8-12* @ 200mm Hg (assuming this is advance). would it be safe to assume with only 100mm Hg this pot would get 4-6* advance?

here's the list I'm getting the dizzy info from https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure this out as well. Based on the information I have, it seems like the Bosch 010 mechanical advance is how I am leaning but interested in what you find out here. I would prefer SVDA...
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

I just got a 123 Tune+, easy to set up, and works good; The vacuum map is adjustable too; It cost a lot yes, but worth every cent as can tune in exactly what I want; Its easy to learn, but you have to understand the concepts of vacuum and mech and how they work together; Once you got that, its really straightforward;
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Engle 110 dual 40idf's distributor choice Reply with quote

Millionmph wrote:
I just got a 123 Tune+, easy to set up, and works good; The vacuum map is adjustable too; It cost a lot yes, but worth every cent as can tune in exactly what I want; Its easy to learn, but you have to understand the concepts of vacuum and mech and how they work together; Once you got that, its really straightforward;

Are you running dual weber 40s?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: