Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance covering the full value of your van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

insurance companies are vile, disgusting, dishonest, bad faith, greedy, psychological terrorists, whose entire profession should be completely torn down and rebuilt with the end feature in mind. covering losses. instead , theyve spent centuries refining their practices to more efficiently exclude customers from coverage, using tricky ,confusing language and ambiguous terms to dodge claims and pass the buck so they can keep more for their share holders... tear it apart. its gotten so sick and broken that you basically have to LIE to them (they almost WANT you to)to get your honest return for the money spent (assuming youre a responsible driver etc no accidents really not tons of tickets etc.) it really boils my blood to think about how dishonest they are and how badly it affects everything around us these days. ruining things.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
...vile, disgusting, dishonest, bad faith, greedy, psychological terrorists...

Which may also be how carriers view many of their prospective customers... including those who would try to use a classic car policy to cover a vehicle used for camping, recreational travel or routine daily driving.

It is an adversarial relationship at best.

I suppose 'there are good people on both sides' but so long as the customer base sees the insurance company as fair game for wherever they can get away with it seems inevitable that the insurers will take a similar jaded view.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

two wrongs dont make a right. but youre absolutely correct, the customers have abused and lied for settlements so many times at this point ,i can see why the companies need to protect themselves, however we now need to fix it!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Insurance companies are not in the business of giving out money willy nilly. If you use your vehicle outside of the insured limitations do NOT expect them to pay out. There is no free lunch.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

An appraisal goes a loooong way.

I have "agreed value" coverage with Farmers. Sure, my premiums are high, but if it gets totaled, Farmers will pay for it.

Sure, "insurance is a scam and they're all crooks" but it's a game we have to play . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
An appraisal goes a loooong way.

I have "agreed value" coverage with Farmers. Sure, my premiums are high, but if it gets totaled, Farmers will pay for it.

Can you recommend an appraiser? As you know we we are in N. Ca. My understanding is that in Oregon the state requirement is for the insurers to pay based on the appraisal not cash value. That’s a good regulation and not one we have in Ca. so not too many Westy familiar appraisers here, ya know?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Glad to see you got home safe and it was great meeting you in Mulege!
These are the guys I used:

https://autoappraisalnetwork.com/

Very personable, very professional. He came to my house to do the appraisal and took a million pictures. I provided him with a build sheet, pictures of recent work and a 2015 "Opinion of Value" from GW. He's going to email me the finished appraisal next week and hand-deliver a spiral-bound copy. Cost was close to $400.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Thank you Corwyn! Yes dreaming of Baja for next year!
bradhans2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Hi Corwyn

Would you be willing share who your agent in Olympia is? -I am up in Seattle and have talked to two Farmers agents
The first one was referred to me by the agent that insures Stephens Autohaus's 1990 Syncro Westy with the 1.8T in CA - that he is completing that conversion on mine - that agent in Smokey Pt quoted me $5000/year

the second Farmers agent here in Seattle i talked to uses Hagerty which is undesirable due to the 5000 mile annual limit.

I also called Grundys and they require garaging (which I dont have).

I also contacted NW Insurance in West Seattle that had been reported to provide insurance thru Safeco - Safeco is no longer underwriting Westys - agent explained that they recently tightened up their RV policy requirements and Westys dont meet these any longer

Thanks
Brad
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Try PEMCO insurance - they are based in WA and received high ratings in service. Supposed to be one the better insurance CO's in the PNW.

https://pemco.com/
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

I successfully obtained an agreed-value policy for $75,000 insured as an RV. I went through roamly and the policy is held by progressive. I am located in Virginia. When I tried directly with Progressive I was not able to obtain the policy. Keep in mind I keep a portable toilet and also have a grey water tank on my westy. They didn't ask me any of those questions though.

Roamly Insurance
Mitchell Reeder
512-746-1058
[email protected]

There are some states that you cannot obtain an agreed value policy so keep that in mind. When you call mention my name Eli. I get nothing in return for this, it is just so he knows what he is dealing with. I gave him a heads up I would be letting other van owners know.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

It was Farmers. Following an extensive restoration, the value of my van went way up and Farmers is pushing me to Hagerty or Grundy as well; so now I'm in the hunt for insurance also ☹️

~ Captain Ron ~
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Both hagerty and grundy do not insure vehicles that are camped in based on my last interaction with them this year. Prior to this I had Foremost. They covered me for 75k as well but it was an acv policy.

I tried all my local brokers, the collector car brokers and Roamly was the only one I could find that worked.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Still with Safeco for an agreed value of $26.500, vehicle type "Motor Home".
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Both hagerty and grundy do not insure vehicles that are camped in based on my last interaction with them this year. Prior to this I had Foremost. They covered me for 75k as well but it was an acv policy.

I tried all my local brokers, the collector car brokers and Roamly was the only one I could find that worked.

I just spoke with Hagerty and they do allow limited/some camping. Still might not be best option depending on how much camping you do, they did also mention this varies from state to state, could well be in your state they dont allow it.

fxr wrote:

Im also w Safeco on agreed value.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

skemems wrote:
elizer wrote:

I just spoke with Hagerty and they do allow limited/some camping. Still might not be best option depending on how much camping you do, they did also mention this varies from state to state, could well be in your state they dont allow it.

fxr wrote:

Im also w Safeco on agreed value.

I tried safeco before in VA that was a no go. That sounds correct about Hagerty. When I asked I stated it was primarily used for camping. Well hopefully someone finds this information useful. If someone else has success with Roamly please post.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

You don’t have to play this game. Pocket the premiums of $500 a year into the Sp500 for ten years and you have a nest egg of $9000

I do this for my hobby and my daily cars. So far, I’ve only had one claim which I totaled and parted out, anyhow.

Insurance is for big claims like liability, not chicken poop.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

That $9,000 wouldn't get me a new westy built to a similar condition. Or am I misunderstanding.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
That $9,000 wouldn't get me a new westy built to a similar condition. Or am I misunderstanding.

Abscate is saying to 'self insure' for being totaled. If you use the state minimums for coverage, except liability, and invest the money you save vs agreed value insurance you will come out ahead in 20 years.

Insurance is a form of gambling. The house wins in the long run. But if shite happens in the short run you are glad you have it.

(In my personal case I received a $23,500 insurance payout in 2006 when my '87 Westy was burnt to a crisp. Fortunately I had that vehicle well documented with the insurance company, Erie.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You don’t have to play this game. Pocket the premiums of $500 a year into the Sp500 for ten years and you have a nest egg of $9000

I do this for my hobby and my daily cars. So far, I’ve only had one claim which I totaled and parted out, anyhow.

Insurance is for big claims like liability, not chicken poop.

As Abscate said about liability. Get the maximum liability coverage on your policy. In many states the minimum liability is $25k some states are different.

A stay in the hospital getting body work will typically be more expensive than your car getting body work Thats the simplified version.

If you have assets worth money, protect them. If you don’t have any assets, it would still be courteous to spend a few bucks more to cover others. Don’t skimp on liability. I know this wasn’t part of the original question. Just a PSA. You all understand this but someone lurking may not.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: