Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance covering the full value of your van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
Gosh I wish there was less swearing in this post!

'Gosh' is a pretty offensive term! It's a euphemism for other blasphemes. If you'd prefer less swearing in this thread go back and delete that word from your post. Goodness, I hope you don't say 'gosh' around children.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

the moderation here is to die for..... saving people's feelings 1 edited post at a time.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

I think the website asks how many miles you drive it per year if I remember correctly. What happens if you say 12,000?

Yes I did enter 12k for my Vanagon's annual mileage. I believe someone is reviewing my policy today. I will keep the thread posted.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the moderation here is to die for..... saving people's feelings 1 edited post at a time.

the mods here arent trying to save anyone's feelings, they just dont want a bunch of profanity and ad hominem attacks, and i agree. i know its frustrating when people are being obstinate but you stick to the facts and forget the name calling. i appreciate that the mods take the time to keep this place on track. otherwise it would be drowning in peoples 'feelings' and unreadable.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

the mods here arent trying to save anyone's feelings, they just dont want a bunch of profanity and ad hominem attacks, and i agree. i know its frustrating when people are being obstinate but you stick to the facts and forget the name calling. i appreciate that the mods take the time to keep this place on track. otherwise it would be drowning in peoples 'feelings' and unreadable.

AND mods sometimes remove non-profane facts and salient points/posts when ever they "feel" like it benefits the conversation/topic where as some of us found the now-missing information helpful.

....I wish the edits by the mods would be strike-out or something to preserve the original data and see what was offensive - at least a marking showing it was edited by mods - instead of leaving it look like the user wrote what the mods wrote for them. If a user is an ass, let their ass posts reflect on the user. If the info is actually valuable and just happens to trigger a certain mod personally, let's see the mod's actions.

This is my experience with mod's mods of factual non-profane posts :-/ (the mod wasn't Everett) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10028863#10028863

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
What a load of crap followed by this

"up to 7,500 miles may be considered"

I have the email from the underwriter stating I can do up to 12K/year

...on a policy with Hagarty and all of them have inside storage.

Get your shit together dude. First you can do "whatever you want" then it's as long as you drive your garage queen less than 7,500 miles a year, er um maybe it's 12K miles per year. And you also have to keep it garaged, where your queen belongs.

It sounds like you can do whatever you want as long as the nanny at Hagerty says it's okay.

It was at this point that I concluded you had no idea what you were talking about.

And yes, in my working career I was a licensed P&C agent in California.

The OP may contact Hagerty, or not. I don't care.

I have always found Hagerty (who are brokers with underwriting authority, not an insurance carrier) to be open and transparent about the coverages they offer and any restrictions they apply.

They're not for everyone - indeed, I do not use them for my van because it is a daily driver - but they may provide good value and coverage in many instances.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Yes I did enter 12k for my Vanagon's annual mileage. I believe someone is reviewing my policy today. I will keep the thread posted.

Well I did state I have an engine over 50HP (ej22e) and I would drive 12k miles on the Vanagon.

Bummer.

Dear Mr. Shagginwagon83
Thank you for your interest in Hagerty. After reviewing your application, we are unable to offer coverage for the
following reason(s):
• Year, make, and/or model of vehicle does not fit our program
• Usage does not meet our program eligibility requirements
Your payment information has been deleted from our system and no funds will be withdrawn.
When your circumstances change, please reach out and we will be happy to reconsider.
If you have questions, we're here to help at 800-922-4050 or send an email to [email protected].
Let's Drive Together,

Hagerty
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Give Grundy a call. I've had a Calif policy with them with 3 vehicles on it for about 20 years now. I was going to get Hagerty, but Grundy has less fine print on any requirements or restrictions. They hit you up with a once a year payment. For 3 classic cars, I pay around $700 per year for an "agreed" value (All 3 cars have a 35-40kish value on them). Also, you will need at least 1 car on a regular policy that's with another insurance company - your daily driver.

https://www.grundy.com/classic-cars/

Just send in a few pics and give them the make and model info. They will start checking sales values. No need to give them every detail on your all mods or camping reports.

I still need to insure this truck (below), but it will be a separate policy since it lives in Connecticut. It's almost running Cool

https://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_20210928_120006-jpg.214653/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Well I spoke with our trusted insurance agent today about the van coverage. She has our homeowners, rental and cars. Right off the bat she said Hagerty was our best bet. I told her about the 5000 mile (Ca) restriction and asked her to search for another insurer who doesn’t have that mileage restriction. She checked with American Modern (no van camping), Safeco (they want a bundle policy with all the cars and home for a new policy), Foremost and some others offering coverage for RVs. They were only good for actual value policies. So seems like Hagerty is the ticket for those of us fortunate enough to have another daily driver and who live in California.
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

I'm here in UT and I have full coverage through State Farm up to $15,000 as it is a GL. I do have it fully registered not as a Vintage vehicle as the laws for use with those plate don't want you daily driving. (People still do)
It is a frustrating thing to shop for insurance as some will want ridiculous rates for low coverage. Geico was the most expensive and it was liability only when I had called around.
I have not looked into Hagarty myself but was not aware of them at the time.
CA has a lot of odd policies that years ago pushed my parents to get rid of a 75 transporter that I grew up in. We all wish it was still around and I am sorted interested in tracking it down.

But this is just my .02 cents on the matter.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

I've been covered by an "agreed value" policy with "Grundy Worldwide" for six old VWs of mine since 1999 and I don't believe that they restrict mileage yearly. Do your own research, I may be wrong. And they happily added my '87 Vanagon Westfalia Camper GL a few years back. They covered my '67 Westy many years ago, so they don't seem adverse to covering our collectible Campmobiles & Campers...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
AND mods sometimes remove non-profane facts and salient points/posts when ever they "feel" like it benefits the conversation/topic where as some of us found the now-missing information helpful.

...This is my experience with mod's mods of factual non-profane posts :-/ (the mod wasn't Everett) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10028863#10028863

That topic was cleaned up by request, not at the whim of a moderator's feelings. Same goes for profanity clean-up (in this case, one profane word in a verbose post simply being censored - not removed - caused even more panties getting wadded).

Moving on...

Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

That topic was cleaned up by request, not at the whim of a moderator's feelings.

Same goes for profanity clean-up (in this case, one profane word in a verbose post simply being censored - not removed - caused even more panties getting wadded).

Moving on...

Rolling Eyes

Who was the one that made the request AND what makes their request more worthy than any other members?

My request would have been that it stays like it was..If I would have been asked. I was not asked..... And the times where a users post is modified by a mod it doesn't indicate that so who ever reads it thinks that is what the user wrote when in fact it is not nor is the user notified of the change.

The OP in that thread already modified some of their posts and deleted others before it was edited/deleted by a moderator....I'm in the camp of standing behind what one writes/does/says.... This after-the-fact Orwellian 1984 history editing is creepy. If someone is an ass let them be and folks can interact with them/or not based on that.... The blocking feature is cool.

So....Who was the one that made the request for an edit, who decided on how it was edited, AND what makes their request more worthy than any other members?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

I've had state farm for years, since the late 80's.
It was easy to insure a kit car as a daily driver with them. I never claimed anything on that policy but others were really high priced and really didn't know how to handle that car...
Then with two mk2 gtis and a Honda crx that were stolen they paid out without a problem and extended the payment period on a rental car one time.

I haven't had any claims on my truck but they've said that they will take the average value of of a few examples of similar condition roughly in my area to establish fair value. I do trust them on this because I saw b-man here go through repairing his doka after a tree limb fell on his truck and smashed the roof and at least one of the gates. State farm treated him pretty well through that and he's in Or. and I'm in Wa.
Cost after all these years has consistently gone down with no bad behavior on my part to generate claims.
I've asked about what would happen in a theft or accident and they can't really say exactly but after floating some asking prices on similar vehicles they really didn't sound like they'd choke at those numbers.

The thing is there's no way to calculate the value on something like this. You see these adds for disaster insurance and how they make it like it didn't happen....not possible. Ya know, what about the $30,000 of super rare model kit collection that all blew away in the hurricane ?? Money can't replace what you can't buy.
I think state farm will do what they can in practical reality. They may not cover the cost of all my custom bits and pieces but I do think they'll consider the value of something big like the engine swap as part of the total value.
Best to document things, have an appraisal from an outfit they approve of. I don't but I plan to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

Best to document things, have an appraisal from an outfit they approve of.

This. ^^^^^

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Schuylersister wrote:
Gosh I wish there was less swearing in this post!

'Gosh' is a pretty offensive term! It's a euphemism for other blasphemes. If you'd prefer less swearing in this thread go back and delete that word from your post. Goodness, I hope you don't say 'gosh' around children.

Words matter! Respect is important and mockery is never necessary, even on social media where you can hide behind the e-curtain.
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Based on advice from two contributors herein I contacted Grundy and filled out their on-line application. Then I asked a few questions and this is the response:

‘Thank you for contacting Grundy Worldwide,
We do not have restrictions on mileage so the 500 to 2500 is our auto fill in. You can write on the application you will do more than the 2500, this does not affect the quote in any way. The vehicle can be used to go to cars shows/club events, pleasure cruises, going to dinner or ice cream and a friend or family member’s home. We do not cover the vehicle to go camping, to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank, mall, doctors office and etc. Hopefully, this helps.’
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
Based on advice from two contributors herein I contacted Grundy and filled out their on-line application. Then I asked a few questions and this is the response:

‘Thank you for contacting Grundy Worldwide,
We do not cover the vehicle to go camping, to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank, mall, doctors office and etc. Hopefully, this helps.’

This sounds like insurance for some old guys hot rod. not a westy
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
The vehicle can be used to go to cars shows/club events, pleasure cruises, going to dinner or ice cream and a friend or family member’s home. We do not cover the vehicle to go camping, to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank, mall, doctors office and etc. Hopefully, this helps.’

Thanks for the insightful information. So Grundy insures the car when getting ice cream but not when picking up insulin at the pharmacy. Ignoring the social commentary, I'd have no idea when I'd be insured given those guidelines. This information is important for Grundy customers to understand when answering questions related to a claim: "What was the nature of the vehicle use at the time of the loss: fetching ice cream? going to acute care? etc."

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance covering the full value of your van Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Schuylersister wrote:
The vehicle can be used to go to cars shows/club events, pleasure cruises, going to dinner or ice cream and a friend or family member’s home. We do not cover the vehicle to go camping, to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank, mall, doctors office and etc. Hopefully, this helps.’

Thanks for the insightful information. So Grundy insures the car when getting ice cream but not when picking up insulin at the pharmacy. Ignoring the social commentary, I'd have no idea when I'd be insured given those guidelines. This information is important for Grundy customers to understand when answering questions related to a claim: "What was the nature of the vehicle use at the time of the loss: fetching ice cream? going to acute care? etc."

I can see where they are coming from, they dont want this vehicle to be a daily driver. The problem is how do you define this with no mileage restriction?
I have tons of friends where this insurance would be perfect, but the no camping clause is a deal killer for most of us here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: