Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Final drive filler hole location
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

I don't know where to look to check the hypoid oil level on my 69 fasty automatic. Can someone share a pick or give me some good direction on location of that plug hole. I need to check the level.

T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

Look on the left side of the transmission case, on the final drive section of the trans (the part that the axles come out of).

Should be a 17mm Allen fill plug on the side that you remove, then the oil level should be up to the bottom of the fill plug hole
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

hmmm. here are two photos. one is of the left side (drivers side) of the tranny and the other is the right side (passenger). I see a plug on the passenger side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

The first photo shown is the passenger side.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

My bad for giving you the wrong side; on the manual it's on the left side.

But that 17mm hex plug you see is gonna be it.
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

Thanks. Interesting thing.....I have not checked that final drive oil level. I bought the car in 2017 and have driven it since with no issues.

When I pulled that plug, I expected to have nothing run out, and to have to stick my finger into the hole to feel the oil. But, instead, a flow of ATF came out of that plug hole. Seems that has been in there all along (since I've had it) and a lot of it. I guess it was enough lubricant and coolant for the amount of driving I did.

I am going to drain that and put in proper 90w gear oil
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
Thanks. Interesting thing.....I have not checked that final drive oil level. I bought the car in 2017 and have driven it since with no issues.

When I pulled that plug, I expected to have nothing run out, and to have to stick my finger into the hole to feel the oil. But, instead, a flow of ATF came out of that plug hole. Seems that has been in there all along (since I've had it) and a lot of it. I guess it was enough lubricant and coolant for the amount of driving I did.

Usually when ATF mixes with gear oil there, a seal has gone bad between the 2 parts. Don't drive it until you've replaced the seal as damage to the final drive can happen.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Seemed odd there would be so much in there. I assume I need to pull the engine?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
Thanks for the info. Seemed odd there would be so much in there. I assume I need to pull the engine?

Yup. Then split the trans from the final drive, so you can replace the seal between them. I think Ray Greenwood might have the correct part number for it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:

Oh no no no that is very bad. ATF is not sufficient to lubricate the hypoid gears of the final drive.

Either someone who was ignorant filled the final drive with ATF, or, more likely, the seals between the automatic section (which is filled with ATF) and the final drive section have failed, allowing ATF into the final drive.

So yeah you gotta fix that. Running with ATF in the final drive will destroy the ring & pinion.

From what the experts on here have said, once you repair that, put replacement of those seals on your "every 70,000 miles" checklist.
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

If anyone is aware of a good thread that walks through this main drive seal replacement, I would appreciate a lead. I will consult the Bentley to see if that will get me there.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

At some risk of damage, you might drain and refill the final drive with the correct fluid. As suggested, someone may have added ATF where it didn't belong. It would be a bummer to go to all the trouble of replacing a seal when it didn't need one! I'd check it every couple of weeks and see if it contains ATF or if the level rises.
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

I did drain the final drive few days ago. I went to add hypoid oil today and it only took 1 1/2 liters before it reached the bottom of the fill hole. From what I've read here on Samba and in my books, it should take about 6.3 pints (or 5.3 on a top off). I"m only getting 1/2 of that in before it seems to be full.

Any ideas? Safe to drive if oil is at the fill hole, I presume.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

Hey all. Finally got around to checking the hypoid oil level again after having re-filled it some many weeks ago now. Once again, full of ATF. Pulled the plug and a good quart + came flowing out. I have been driving it these past weeks before checking this time, and it has been driving good, like all times before. But, seeing the atf in the final drive concerns me now.

So, am I in for a huge effort to pull the tranny to replace a seal? Should I refill with final drive with hypoid, top off ATF and just continue driving as is?

Thanks for your opinions!
T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:

So, am I in for a huge effort to pull the tranny to replace a seal?

Yes. Pulling the trans really isn't that hard.

Quote:

Should I refill with final drive with hypoid, top off ATF and just continue driving as is?

Absolutely fucking not unless you plan to just drive the car til the r & p dies, then junk it.
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

I concur. I'll look for some vids on pulling the tranny.

I pulled the drain plug on the final drive and I think something came out with the fluid. Hard to tell as car isn't on a lift, and I was on my back pulling the plug. But, sounded like something metal hit the drain pan I had in place, along with the outpour of fluid. After all the oil was out, I ran a magnet in the bowl of fluid and pulled out a piece of metal that looks like a flywheel key from a small engine (about 1 5/8 " long, square and about 1/8" thick on each side). kind of tapered on one end, and either tapered on the other, or actually is broken off.
It is pretty shiny like it has been bouncing around in a polisher. Looks a bit chewed up in places. Does that sound like anything that would come out of that final drive? It may have been a left over in my oil bowl, so might not have anything to do with this. I'll post a pic.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

here are the pics of the piece of metal.

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

Hey folks. I am ready to dive in and try to change the seal between the parts of the tranny. Question.....should I pull the engine first, and then pull the tranny apart after? Or, should I pull the tranny with the engine attached?

I've pulled the engine a few times, but never the tranny.

Troy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
Hey folks. I am ready to dive in and try to change the seal between the parts of the tranny. Question.....should I pull the engine first, and then pull the tranny apart after? Or, should I pull the tranny with the engine attached?

I've pulled the engine a few times, but never the tranny.

Troy

I think Tram says it's easier to pull them both then separate them. I'd remove the 3 flywheel/flex plate bolts before removing it though, as you'll have room to swing a wrench with it up in the air (in the car).
Like you, I've never pulled the Automatic trans before. The engine and or manual trans yes, but not an automatic trans.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
cpaz5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Final drive filler hole location Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I dealt with an automatic, but I'm pretty sure it's the same mounting as the manual. Either way, you shouldn't need to pull the engine, but you will need to pull the exhaust, heat, disconnect all the mounts, the bellow boot, and maybe pull some other various accessories for the space to move the engine back. You'll obviously need it supported and then you'd slide it to the rear of the car so you have just barely enough space to drop the trans by itself. It can be tricky, but with the right equipment and method, it's doable. It's always easier and nice to have extra hands, but i've nearly perfected the 1-man wrecking crew at this point for my cars. Good luck and take your time and many mental notes along the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: