Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Excellent
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Buggeee, cheers

H20SB, I considered a CAE but this ain’t that kinda race car. The bugtech feels right.
As for the dash, the padding was in bad shape. The cracks were crevices but easy for removal. The majority of the glue/foam bits were done with a purple abrasive 3M wheel and paint stripper. Hand sanded and sprayed with engine enamel matte black. Engine enamel lasts forever on metals that don’t get engine hot. Forever.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Also since the dash had nearly no controls or lights or anything usable, one of the openings will have a plate for switches and levers and such, same for the gauges. I can wire that up super quick and I like the idea of the switches not carrying any load of the circuit. I do plan for a head unit but just a simple AM/FM with Bluetooth, Blaupunkt has a unit, two foot speakers and an amp sub for the times you want some music. Tach in the stock location and that’s it for the time being until I sort defrosters
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Jbug’s pen trick is nice for putting your nylon string or wire into the body seal groove. Local supply house had 1303 windshields in stock, score.

cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

It’s been a little while since I’ve been working at the shop. Career and Texas heat wave have stifled the progress but that just meant saving for odds and ends and really coming to sort out the most important stuff on the build list. Today was a good day though. After going on vacation and then working remote in northern Italy trying to escape this wicked heat we are having, a coworker from the car shop I frequent said “blah blah blah and he’s selling a motor.” And it also came with a picture

And here it is after being loaded into my camper during my lunch break.

cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Oh and also if anyone has a late model camaro rear seat they do not know what to do with, I think I found you a solution. Lower was simple to set in place and technically mount. The upper rear will take a little more work buuut should be just fine.

I may not even mess with putting in a front seat for now, or ever on this car.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Popcorn

It's going to be a fun car to drive
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Popcorn

It's going to be a fun car to drive

I’ve seen this is a popular set up for clearance and for use in buses. With the limited interior and Baja cut rear end, 94mm x 76mm, I think it’ll be punchy. It shouldn’t be much longer to have it moving around the shop on its own
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Small update:

Career and life and other hobbies have been fairly busy but I have an update on the motor I found. Local and reputable builder has pulled apart the motor for inspection. Leak down test was not great. Heads pulled and found a shattered valve seat on an exhaust. The others seem to be repairable with valve job. Compression was low from head spacers so room for machining is good. Cam will be sent off for repair. Builder believes this is well within spec to have refreshed. Transaxle will need to be sent off for strengthening.

Work will continue on other systems within the month: wiring, brake pressure, carb clean and rebuild, door windows
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Good news overall Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Thank you Painter’s Grinding Applause

cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Fun. Round two this evening.

cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Glass is done

DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

I’m liking the creativity of this build a lot!

Also love the banter btwn you and the “previous commentator” Laughing Laughing

I’ve done the “tuner” one wiper thing in the past on a different “race car” of mine but used a mini van rear hatch wiper that had direct drive to the wiper spindle and full 180 deg sweep and modified the park feature to rest blade on lower windshield.

I’ve already purchased a Porsche 944 hatch wiper motor/assy which I plan on using on my build, because…race car! However, I’m planning on mounting it in the existing driver’s side hole. Will see if that raises some ire! Laughing

Have fun with your build and ROCK ON! Popcorn

J.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: