Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lightening any and everything …
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

For sh*ts n giggles I have drilled a few cranks...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, the engine it's in still runs!.. quite nicely thanks:) and yes, I had it dynamically balanced afterwards...

To answer some questions above..

re the cross drillings... look down the crank from above, insert long thin rods... drill bits, skewers, socket extensions, pipe, etc whatever you got... all the way through and out the other side of the cross drilled oil holes... you can then mark on the crank webs/journals where they go through the crank and intersect...

If you drill an 18mm hole through the rod journal of a stock forged crank without hitting the oil drilings... it removes approx 100g per journal..

It gets close... but with some planinng and thought you should be able to get a 19 or 20mm hole in there at home with reasonable tools... holding the damn thing is the problem!

Just for some reference - Holes in the beam of stock conrods can get them down to approx 550g... ive only got to about 570 though on the few sets ive done... depends on what they are to start with...

You can also take approx 40g from stock 1600 pistons by drilling holes in the skirts... it runs well and doesn't seem to smoke!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

The holes Jose drilled into my crank are .973"

My guess is the longer 84mm stroke and being a non-cross drilled has something to do with.

ALB I will get back latter. In the middle of setting cam timing of my current build.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

I talked to a guy recently about drilling the crank counterweights and he said they’d run into it causing cavitation , oil foaming.
I have know experience with this but could see it happening.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
drilling the crank counterweights and he said they’d run into it causing cavitation , oil foaming.

...dry sump!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

I used a 82mm Bergman Super Light Full Circle crank for years. My buddies called it the "mocha crank". But they never actually used it lol, it was just by looking at it. I put alot of hard quarter mile passes on that and street miles and it worked great. I never pulled the dipstick to find frothy mocha oil lol. It was always normal.

Demello mentioned doing the cranks for him, and Bergman just drilled them for weight savings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

You could also coat the crank post drilling to shed the oil/reduce windage

Might be snake oil, but I did it on my current crank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

The difference from windage/frothing losses caused by the extra holes might be too shall to measure.

And no, by the time you shut the engine off and pulled the dipstick the oil would have settled out. I would expect frothing to show up as oil pressure loss/fluctuations at speed not when static checking.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Questions about that crankshaft: I understand getting rid of material in the center of the crank throw, there is very little added strength in the center of any cylinder. But, how did you address the oil galleries?

Secondly it seems counter productive to put counter weights on and then make swiss cheese out of them. I get that you need to drill one hole in them to get access to drill the journals. Are the extra holes done with respect to the lighter rods and pistons or just random drillings?

Another thing I wonder about is if there is any power loss from the aerodynamics of the open holes? Or pumping loss/extra oil foaming from the oil being beat up by those holes?

Dry-sump, but I doubt it matters much.

As far as the weight of the counterweights, their job is to "counter" the weight of my reciprocating assembly. If my assembly is half the weight of a traditional assembly, then it'd stand to reason that I wouldn't need a full weight fillet either.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

Yep, T is on a whole other level😅 Nicest guy around too. Just wish I could convince him to move to Texas

jpaull wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
My 105 bore Type 4 project is an experiment in a lightening of everything. My crank is several pounds lighter, the flywheel is 7lbs, the clutch is aluminum, the rods are Pauter aluminum, the pistons will be 300g, the valvetrain work is insane. No conventional items there. 7mm ti valves, Pauter rockers, 8” alloy pushrods, 40g lifters, huge base billet cam, billet hads with a ton of extra flow work... It should rev like a bike engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Awesome!
Cool
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
As far as the weight of the counterweights, their job is to "counter" the weight of my reciprocating assembly. If my assembly is half the weight of a traditional assembly, then it'd stand to reason that I wouldn't need a full weight fillet either.

One would think that is all true. I used to think it was true but having given it a lot more thought I believe it is only partially true. If the counter weights were actually sized to offset the rod and piston weight then would you not have to specify what rods and pistons you are going to use when ordering your counter weighted crank?

Ya, it's a one size fits all thing isn't it? Same crank no matter if you use 85.5mm jugs and stock rods or the latest trick 94mm jugs and the fanciest of rods. Which tells me that at best the counter weights are only approximately offsetting the pistons and rods at best. So... how much should/could the counter weights be drilled? I don't think anyone knows.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

One would think that is all true. I used to think it was true but having given it a lot more thought I believe it is only partially true. If the counter weights were actually sized to offset the rod and piston weight then would you not have to specify what rods and pistons you are going to use when ordering your counter weighted crank?

Ya, it's a one size fits all thing isn't it? Same crank no matter if you use 85.5mm jugs and stock rods or the latest trick 94mm jugs and the fanciest of rods. Which tells me that at best the counter weights are only approximately offsetting the pistons and rods at best. So... how much should/could the counter weights be drilled? I don't think anyone knows.

It seems as if you're answering your own question. Either you believe that the purpose of a counterweight is to offset reciprocating forces, and that its' mass should counteract the tugging force as the piston changes direction, or you believe that counterweights add some rigidity, like a gusset. I believe the former, but if you believe the latter, then my counterweights with holes would still provide structural support. The main goal either way was to reduce my rotating mass.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

Counterweights:

Reduce the bending load on the crankshaft.

Imagine a 4 cylinder engine with a flat plane crankshaft. The first cylinder is at the top dead center (TDC), the second is at the bottom dead center (BDC). The conrod and the piston of the first cylinder "pulls" the crankshaft up, the second down, while it is fixed at the main bearings. The crankshaft will be deformed at the main bearings, which means a lot of stress at the fillets next to the bearings, and has a negative effect on the lifetime of the bearing shells. If you add counterweights to the crankshaft at each cylinder, and adjust the size of these carefully, they will pull the crankshaft with the same force as the conrod and piston, but in the opposite direction, and the crankshaft will have no bending loads.

Another good read

http://ohiocrank.com/crankshaft-balance-factors/
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

From the article quoted above

"The “balance factor” is at best a compromise, and partially suppresses vibration at some RPM and power/vacuum levels."

It's as I suspected then, the counterweighted cranks we buy are just "ball park" weighted for an average piston and rod combination. It's not an exact science, just better than none. I have been noticing over the years that the size of the counter weights varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer with some actually being full circle which in my mind do not compensate for anything, just add mass.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

I would agree regarding “off the shelf” cranks and most builds.

However, you could size/lighten it to match
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

To do so is above my knowledge and ability and I suspect 99% of others here. Off the shelf generic is still better than the stock one without any.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
The holes Jose drilled into my crank are .973"

My guess is the longer 84mm stroke and being a non-cross drilled has something to do with.

ALB I will get back latter. In the middle of setting cam timing of my current build.

Thank you sir- looking forward to hearing what the difference is!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
To do so is above my knowledge and ability and I suspect 99% of others here. Off the shelf generic is still better than the stock one without any.

40,000 miles on a stock crank and rods up to 200 plus hp.....revs to 5800 rpm and not a bit of pounding on the case halves. Thrust was still perfect on the freshen up.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with stock stuff.........

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

Those DPR crankshafts that people are blasting up to 8k rpm are using 1500 non-cross drilled stockers as their base platform.

Also, I'd rather nix chassis weight before adversely affecting inertia in my motors rotating mass by going apeshit and gutting my motor components for all its' tensile strength. Less weight only means rev up/down faster. You'd especially want the load if force induced.

For most of what you all do, stick with a 12lb flywheel (no less). Leave the rest alone
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

Harley-Davidsons have both rods on one crank pin.
It’s essentially almost a single-cylinder motor as far as the counterweight is concerned.
When carefully building one for high-performance,
The balance was ‘factored’ for the intended RPM/use of the motor.
All of the rotating weight and a percentage of the reciprocating weight are added to the opposite side of the flywheels from the crankpin.
You would weigh the crankpin, rollers, and big ends of the rods for rotating,
And the small end of the rods, piston, pin, rings for recip.
IIRC, most of the 7000-7500RPM motors we built had a 60% balance factor (don’t quote me on that number).
Meaning the counterweight would be 100% of rotating and 60% of reciprocating.

Point being,
The counterweights on our cranks could be calculated and created to have an ideal weight for the RPM range we want.

I’m also guessing they’re rather smaller than is ideal,
Just from what they look like based on experience.

FWIW.

What’s That Noise?!?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightening any and everything … Reply with quote

Can confirm there isn't enough space to approach overbalance. I could cut one in half and balance it, and we could "see" how thick the counterwights would have to be to work as some think they do..... it might make a fun youtube vid or something but I'm not really into that.

So if they are way to small how do they help? IMO it's more like the case of center counterweights on a v8.... they do nothing for the overall balance of the engine, and very little to reduce bearing loading, but still reduce crank flex problems somehow, usually.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: