Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone into Antiques or garage sales?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: GIBBS apparatus Reply with quote

gibbs rescue breathing apparatus...regenerative air supply...invented in 1918.........used by to rescue trapped miners.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them dam Gibbs made everything....

Made great toys. I finally got some on the way after trying to buy some for years (yea I am cheap but I got to be able to resell them, my job..). They had a whole series of horse pulled carts that the legs of the horses moved when they were pulled across the floor. They were so good that they are being poorly repoped along with Fisher Price toys and the like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about everything not Volkswagen that I own is from a thrift store or garage sale.
My 71 Square might actually be from a thrift store, in a roundabout way -
the Saver's up the road from my house is at the same address where there was a VW dealership in the 60s and 70s.

I found these for my Mom for Christmas, she's into the Avon Bottles.

I have a few Beetles, but none in the box.
I'm running low on 'Windjammer'. Anyone want to trade a bottle for some 'Oland' or 'Wild Country'?

First English translation from 1911.
I've never seen another on Ebay, Powell's, or anywhere.

I think this is almost complete - it's missing one of the cardboard end caps and I don't know what else.
Still has the cardboard divider for the tank, lighting directions tag, coleman fuel leaflet, parts list/instruction pamphlet, and mail-in warranty card.
...a little bit of vintage grease on the grill, it even has some NOS fuel in the tank Laughing
I'd guess it was used once, then put away. The left burner looks like it's never been lit.

A German Empress accordion, maybe from the early 1900s.
I haven't found much info about them, but the ones I've seen from the 20s and 30s look modern in comparison.
The drum - I can only guess it came from some island or the jungle.
It's obviously hand carved from a big tree trunk, with an animal hide stretched across the top.
The carvings are quite intricate considering the tools that were probably used to make it.
I have no idea how old it might be.

I really like mantlepieces, I believe these are from the 50s.
The Japanese dancing spacegirl might be newer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ussrrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stop once in a while. Always find some oddball junk I end up buying. But here is my best find so far. Its a 79 with about 12,000 miles on rebuilt engine. The guy selling it was the orginal owner interior is very clean outside mostly surface rust. All I did was change fluids, tune up, tires and brakes all for the low price of $200. Life is good!
Sorry no pics can't how to post yet..
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my grandma has a whole house filled with this shit. she also have these 2 Japanese samurai dolls that i have a sneaking suspicion are worth their weight in diamonds. but its going to take a while to find out.
Kapt-Kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad collects petroliana and beer memorabilia. . . . Actually, just about anything and I'm a packrat myself. lol
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, I got it from my parents always buying my clothes at Goodwill, yard sales and church thrift stores as a young one, and I still do it to this day.

Today, one haul from St. Vincent DePaul in Eugene, OR included:

1960s or 70s Olympia Beer store display

1960s or 70s Coors Banquet beer glass

Volkswagen baseball cap

October 1952 N.A.D.A. Western Edition used-car price guide (a 1950 split-window bug was worth $745, and Grand Classics like a 1940 Cadillac Fleetwood V16 and 1941 Packard 180 Rollson town car were less than $300 apiece, all in good condition, too bad I was only 6 years old then! Smile)

1972 edition Early V8 Ford Owner's Guide by Clymer Publications

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a blue VW Avon bottle in the box for $4 a few weeks ago.
Got a great store up in Naperville my wife and I raided a few times.
http://www.affordable-antiques.com/
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few years I've found a similar hobby, but cheaper. Walking along river beds you can find some cool shit! So far I've managed to scrounge up 2 old bikes, a few old street and other miscellaneous signs, old bottles, cans, toasters, car parts, copper fire extinguishers, musical instruments, and even a vintage outboard boat engine! It's amazing what you can find walking a few hundred yards from a bridge, even if most of it is beat to hell. It's the thrill of the hunt!

Anyone else out there do the same thing?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old radios are a serious weakness of mine and i just keep walking by with my hands in my pockets as the wife pushes from behind. I did score something i been looking for,in an antique store, a 'Handey' fold up picnic table in new cond inside once unfolded, just right for the 'WESTY'
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect and restore old Emerson desk fans. Don't know why, but I love a heavy, solid desk fan with brass blades; they just make me happy.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaawwwd sale Awchie, Pull ova! Pull ova!! I don't know why, but every time I see a sign, that pops into my head.

millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^that was a good show

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
letthemusicflow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to yard sales when I can but I rarely find anything good. I got a couple of old cameras and a typewriter, those are my best finds.
There was an MG vert for $400 at one sale I went to but that was a long time ago. Now I would have grabbed it. Obviously I have a soft spot for little cars =P

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
kaiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never thought that i'd be "into" antiques until we started shopping for new furniture.

new furniture is so expensive and poorly made that we now go to antiques stores instead of furniture stores.

old oak rocks! and lasts forever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it you never know what you will find. Think the best stuff I've gotten has been vw related. At one I got as follows. Balatron bubble balncer with all the adapters for porsche and vw pattern, factory rear wheel seal installer, factory rear main seal installer, some 70's hot rod books, 67 its a small world book, and a bently manuel, along with some other misc stuff all for 5 bucks. I was stoked.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Grimey wrote:
I am, I got it from my parents always buying my clothes at Goodwill, yard sales and church thrift stores as a young one, and I still do it to this day.

OG

I would love that Oly display. I am a huge collector of Breweriana and Oly/Hamm's/Pabst and Stroh's are the main ones I collect. The pride of my collection is a Hamm's Starry Skies sign and a bunch of Oly things I purchased at the Olympia Brewing Company before it was shut down. Remember the beer cookies?

I love garage/yard sales. I find everything there. I had purchased a collection of 5ACVW's from an older guy near me. I only wanted one of them but was told I had to take them all and all the other VW "junk" on his property. As I was searching the property for VW things I also found a '50's 7-Up cooler with padded top, 2 vintage Coke coolers, a gas station "Take a case home with you" Coke rack, a light up Coke menu board, Pioneer lighted advert sign, a box of '20-'30's search lights for cars, and a few other goodies. All he wanted was $80 more for the lot of it. He was losing the property and didn't care what I grabbed.

Another great yard sale find was a working '60's-early '70's Coke vending machine. I did a fast u-turn and bought it for $100. It's residing in my basement keeping pop and beer cold. I seem them going for $400-$800 these days.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
Old Grimey wrote:

OG

I would love that Oly display. I am a huge collector of Breweriana and Oly/Hamm's/Pabst and Stroh's are the main ones I collect. The pride of my collection is a Hamm's Starry Skies sign and a bunch of Oly things I purchased at the Olympia Brewing Company before it was shut down. Remember the beer cookies?

I love garage/yard sales. I find everything there. I had purchased a collection of 5ACVW's from an older guy near me. I only wanted one of them but was told I had to take them all and all the other VW "junk" on his property. As I was searching the property for VW things I also found a '50's 7-Up cooler with padded top, 2 vintage Coke coolers, a gas station "Take a case home with you" Coke rack, a light up Coke menu board, Pioneer lighted advert sign, a box of '20-'30's search lights for cars, and a few other goodies. All he wanted was $80 more for the lot of it. He was losing the property and didn't care what I grabbed.

Another great yard sale find was a working '60's-early '70's Coke vending machine. I did a fast u-turn and bought it for $100. It's residing in my basement keeping pop and beer cold. I seem them going for $400-$800 these days.

Great finds there. I collect mainly Oly, Stroh's, Schlitz, Pabst, Miller and Coors breweriana, although I usually can't pass up something from another brewery if it's cheap enough or rare enough. I still kick myself for not buying a box of 1930s/40s signs from Yuengling, Hudepohl, Blatz, Schaefer, Schmidt, Lucky Lager and others, that looked like they went on back bars and behind bottle-shop counters for $5 (most had wiring damage that appeared to have come from mice) and for not picking up a free Schlitz sign/clock that came from a long-defunct grocery store in Eugene, Oregon (wouldn't fit into my bug, and was gone when I came back to the sale in a Scirocco).

I remember the beer cookies well, and I can still taste them at times for some reason. I have a couple other store displays in storage somewhere, both oversized bottles: one Schlitz Erlanger and one Steinlager. Both are nearly 3 feet tall and made of plastic. The Oly display is not currently for sale, and I know next to nothing about it at the present time except that I remember seeing one in action at a tavern that sold take-out kegs and 6-packs of different beers in the early 1970s.

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great piece. Did it come with the 6 different cards for the rotating piece on the top? I have wanted one for years now. I managed to get my hands on one of the 60's-70's "Oly to Go" hand carts. That's proudly displayed much to my wife's joy. I have picked up various relatively hard to find Oly pieces ie: Grenzquell, Medallion and the like. I have the Oly barrel face with the rotating "Ask for Oly" and waterfall. I have all of the Olympia Gold pieces and actual chunks of the brewery wall when they were removing the aging tanks in 2004. The demo guy thought I was nuts to ask for them and as I was walking away with them the site foreman demanded to know why on earth I wanted them Laughing I also picked up in 2004, 3 of the last 150 half racks of stubbies produced at the brewery. It was pure luck that I found them as production ended in May and I found them in late July in Leavenworth. The bar off sales place I bought them from was very proud of the fact that they bought the last ones made. The bar owner was displaying one of them.

My first visit to the brewery was in the early 80's and my last was in 2003 less than a year before Miller shut it down and it turned into the cluster f*ck situation it is in now. Many a visit after a couple of free tours and the 3 free pints at the end of each tour, I had to stumble around the brewery grounds to sober up before leaving. I managed to miss one of the steps leading to the gift shop from the tasting room, tripped and did a dive into the gift shop and ended up under a T-shirt rack. The cute sales girl was nice to me though and told me that this type of thing happened a few times a week. Embarassed

I did come across a prohibition Pabst Root Beer can along with a few other pre-pro Oly bits, some test cans, all of the steins produced for the public, and many, many other bits and pieces. My wife likes to tell people that I am a crow, if it lights up, is shiney and moves, I have to own it. My man cave is a total Oly/Hamm's/Dr. Pepper shrine. At night if you drive past my place you may mistake it for a grow-op from the light coming from many of the windows.

Great memories, thanks for posting that picture. I loved that brewery and the visits I had to it and the surrounding area and miss it to this day. Sounds kind of stupid I guess.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: