Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
So OTO, were you successful to remove/dislodge the clutch cable with the "drill twist" method? Is the engine back in and you're driving the Ghia again?

Man, I tried for months to get that cable free. I tried prying it forward with a vice grip through the pedal assembly hole. I bent a big long S shaped rod and hooked it into the cable eyelet, and stuck the other end out of the front of the tunnel access panel (where the shift rod goes out). I pulled on that with a ratchet strap, until the cable broke. So I tried clamping another cable to it with a cable coupler and pulling that to the front of the car. I got a lot of force on it, until the coupler slid along the frayed cable and popped off. I tried pushing the cable out with a rod from the back, and I tried pushing it out with a rod from the front... But in the end I failed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I even bought an endoscope camera for my phone so I could see in the tunnel. This is what I found:

looking back from the pedal assembly hole:

Looking forward from the shifter hole:

I was pleased that the inside of the tunnel is so free of corrosion! I think the nose cone seal in the split case transmission has been leaking for a long time. But since it's not corrosion, the cable must have gotten stuck on a weld or something. Regardless, my solution was to put in a new clutch cable tube.

I didn't want to cut up the tunnel and do surgery. So, using my endoscope camera, I managed to slowly feed a new tube into the tunnel from the front. This way, I could direct it exactly where I wanted it to go. I got it all the way to the back, then drilled a small hole right beside the factory clutch tube.

I truly hate that I had to do this. Any hole or cut in a vintage car is such a shame. But in this case, I think it was my least damaging option. You can barely see it, even when you take the shift coupler inspection cover off, or look under the car. Plus, should someone pull the body off to do a full restoration, the work I did here is easily reversible. And if so, maybe they'll even have more success than I had, and can get the cable out of the factory tube.

Regardless, it's now done. I'm just waiting on a 1 inch longer clutch cable (out of a late Ghia). I'm guessing that my new clutch tube ended up slightly longer, which is not giving me enough cable to adjust some free play into the pedal. When that arrives, I can finally get it out for a longer test drive.

1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

On a more positive note, I got a couple of cool parts for the car.

This chunk of an aftermarket pedal was attached to my pedal assembly, with the carpet padding glued right over the top of it:

While at the Sacramento Bugorama, I found this in the swap meet and thought that it looked very familiar. I bought it, and it turns out it was an exact match!

While it was out, I got the pedal assembly all cleaned up and lubricated, so it's working very smoothly now.

It might be an aftermarket piece, but it matches what was in the car and I think that's kind of cool. It also feels good to operate.

My tags came up for renewal, so I ordered a vanity plate, Gazelle 57:

Work is super busy right now, but I did register for the VW Treffen in Orange this weekend. I am going to try and tow the car down there this Friday. I haven't test driven it longer than like 2 miles, but if the local test drives go well, I might go ahead and take it on the Speedwell Rallye on Saturday.
Why not? You only live once, right?

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I can't imagine that the old clutch cable was so jammed in the tube. Good work with fitting a new clutch tube. How did you access it inside the tunnel to weld it into place? Did you flare each end of the tube to avoid the sharp edge of the tube cut from fraying the new cable as the cable moves back and forth?
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I can't imagine that the old clutch cable was so jammed in the tube. Good work with fitting a new clutch tube. How did you access it inside the tunnel to weld it into place? Did you flare each end of the tube to avoid the sharp edge of the tube cut from fraying the new cable as the cable moves back and forth?

I totally agree. Believe me, I tried everything I could to free the old cable. It seemed so ridiculous. This took me so long to get past because I just couldn’t believe it, so I kept trying different ways to get the cable out. I’m 90% certain there’s a weld in the tube somewhere that has trapped the old cable, which could have been a big problem for installing the new cable too. I wish it wasn’t like this, but it’s done now.

I did not weld the new tube in place. The way it went in, it had to curve upwards at the back, and that required slowly tapping it into place with a hammer from the front. It’s very tight, and the tube I used is thicker wall than factory. It’s also secured in place by a clamp at the back. With the fairly weak 180mm pressure plate, I don’t think it will slip, but we’ll have to just see what happens. If it does slip, I guess I’ll add a tack weld somewhere.

And yes, I flared it. I used a step-drill bit to create a flared/angled opening at the tip of the tube, and then cleaned it up some with a rat tail file. I also intentionally did not secure the tube at the front, so it will allow some play and not have a situation where the cable is damaged by the tube. I fear it might rattle, but it’s actually pretty snug at the front where it passes
through that trapezoid shaped hole, directly next to the old frayed cable. But again I’ll just have to see.
I think it’s going to work just fine, and I hope this is the end of the clutch cable saga. I’m ready to drive it some.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

So far so good! I took it for a spin around the block- about a 1 mile loop, and the clutch feels so much better. I have the hubcaps off just so I can check the lugnuts. I've heard horror stories about powdercoated wheels having the lugs come loose.

Quick oil change and a carburetor adjustment and it's sounding pretty good for a tired old 40 horse. Things are shaping up to get it down to the Treffen!

OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Test drive was a great success! I picked up my daughter at school today and took her to the local taco shop for lunch. The car did fine. The clutch chattered a bit, and the split case trans is kind of noisy even with new gear oil. It kind of hums and whines but I think that might be normal. It shifts, steers, and brakes really well. And the 40hp has decent power. I’m really happy with it!

TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Sounds great, happy you start enjoying it!

Splitcase gearboxes are indeed "noisy" so maybe ask somebody used to them but might be normal Smile

Keep us updated

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I just got home from towing the Ghia about 800 miles round trip to the SoCal Treffen show.

Loaded up and headed out of my driveway

A few stops along the way.

At some point, my damaged tail light lens fell off!!

Luckily I was able to find one in the swaps, which is in much better condition than the old one. Got it reinstalled right there in the show.

The show was amazing!

Dwayne's car (djway3474) is absolutely stunning. Just a pristine car.

I was happy to find a Motest triple gauge like mine, and to see how the wiring is supposed to be. I think I have all the senders that I need after all!

It was a long drive, but I'm really glad that I went. I learned a few things about Ghias, got to see some friends, and had a great time. I also squeezed in some work along the way visiting clients. It's a bit odd to roll into clients' parking lots in that old wagon towing an old Ghia, but whatever. No mechanical issues outside of that lens falling off, so I'll chalk that up to a success!

Last edited by OTO X58 on Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip, happy for you that all went well !

Bests

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

What did you do with the broken part of the pedal?
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia wrote:

I probably threw it out, but I can search through my boxes of spares that I keep with the Ghia. I tend to be a bit of a packrat so there's a decent chance that I kept it thinking that I could build something out of it...
Can you use it for something? I'll search for it and you can have it if I find it.
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

OTO X58 wrote:

I probably threw it out, but I can search through my boxes of spares that I keep with the Ghia. I tend to be a bit of a packrat so there's a decent chance that I kept it thinking that I could build something out of it...
Can you use it for something? I'll search for it and you can have it if I find it.
yes please let me know I found a cruiser pedal but it’s missing the mount part I think I could use yours to fix mine
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

yes please let me know I found a cruiser pedal but it’s missing the mount part I think I could use yours to fix mine

Sorry, I've searched my garage but haven't found that broken part of the pedal. I'll do a through spring cleaning and keep an eye out for it.

I've reluctantly put the Ghia up for sale. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2665096
I frankly hope it doesn't sell though. I'm not done with it, and we really want to take it to Kelley Park and the Treffen this year. We'll see.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I haven't made updates in a while, because we've been busy with some house renovation projects. But I recently made some progress on the Ghia ahead of the Kelley Park show.

picked up a blue glass nose emblem from Jerry Heldt at The Karmann Ghia Company of Australia. It's the most reasonably-priced new reproduction out there, but I am not super happy that it doesn't have any of the metallic features like the others. I will continue to keep my eye out for an original emblem, even one that's slightly damaged.
If anyone has a damaged emblem that they'd maybe want to trade for this new one, please shoot me a line.

I also found a Porsche style mirror for it at a swap meet, which I like a lot better than the weird Edsel one that it had on it orginally. Also not 100% happy with this, but it went right in the existing holes and can easily be swapped when I find something I like better.

I also sprung for some new rocker trim from ISP West. The trim looks good, but those clips are pure garbage. I did dent one of the pieces trying to force it onto the clips, and my thumbs are still hurting days later! I learned that shaving the plastic flash off the clips helps a lot.

I also pulled the engine again and had the flywheel resurfaced. I tried to get away with not doing it when I did the new clutch a few months back, but it ended up having some clutch chatter. Sadly, it still had chatter when I put it back together, so now I suspect my funky clutch tube. I think the best course of action will be to address that stuck cable again someday. But for now, at least the clutch chatter is very minimal and tolerable.
I also put a set of new shocks in the rear, as the originals were completely deceased and not doing anything whatsoever. It drives a lot better with shocks. The fronts seem fine, but I may also replace those now that I saw how bad the rears really were.

Towed it to Kelley Park with our 62 Chevy wagon.

Great show! There were tons of Ghias there this year.
I have pulled it off the market and am going to work on it a bit more. In particular, I am going to tackle some the rust holes front and rear on the driver's side with some rust repair panels, and blend-in the repairs with some color matched paint.

I'm going to lose some of you on this part, I'm afraid. Laughing
I found a 2" narrowed beam for it in the swap meet. I don't want to slam the car, but I think it might look good lowered an inch or two in the front, still retaining the stock size tires. A narrowed beam should make that possible. I'll keep it stock height in the rear.
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

So looks like you decided to keep it and took your ad down Thomas, good for you, looking forward to more updates. I just picked up a 59 lowlight myself.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

vic wrote:
So looks like you decided to keep it and took your ad down Thomas, good for you, looking forward to more updates. I just picked up a 59 lowlight myself.

Hi Vic! I saw on IG that you picked up a lowlight. It looks great too!
Yes, I think I am going to work on the 57 a little bit more, mostly just straightening the nose and maybe some rust repair in the rocker. My heart was never in selling it anyway, at least not yet. I want to take it to a few more shows and events first, and cruise it around town. I've barely driven it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: