Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

A friend of mine posted a video on Instagram that a friend of his might be selling a Ghia which looked like a lowlight. I messaged him immediately, and the seller sent me some pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a business trip to LA scheduled in two weeks. So did the only logical thing; I cancelled my flight and threw a tow bar in the trunk of my car. 1000 mile round trip in my 1975 Volvo 242. The 6.0L LS swap made it easy.

As found:

Hitched up, I pulled a few blocks away to take a few pics and jump for joy.

The drive home was pretty uneventful, just really long.

Home safe, with all the other projects.

I don’t have a clear plan for this car right now. I bought it on a whim, and I’m not ready for a full blown project yet. So I think I’ll just keep it simple- clean it up a bit and get it running and driving. Once I cruise it around a bit, then I’ll decide the long term plan.

*Edit: What I know of the history of this car.

It came from South Dakota to Garden Grove, CA in the mid-70s. It kept its SD licence plates the whole time it was in CA, with the last known registration being 1985. It was rarely driven, just around the block occasionally to keep it alive. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, it was stashed in a garage.
The earliest owner that I know of was Donovan Thorpe, and he taught auto repair shop. The car may or may not have been worked on by his students. He may have restored the car in the mid to late 70s. He left the car to his daughter, who I bought it from in 2022.
I will update this as I gather more information from her.
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find

Last edited by OTO X58 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

OTO X58 wrote:
A friend of mine posted a video on Instagram that a friend of his might be selling a Ghia which looked like a lowlight. I messaged him immediately, and the seller sent me some pictures:

That's a great find. When you have time enter details and pictures to the Lowlight Registry: http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/

It should be possible to pin down quite closely it's build date. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I’m betting it’s a late 56 titled as a 57. Does it have paddles or knobs for fresh air controls?
Looks like someone stuck some of the original 36hp components and put them on the replacement 40hp. Too bad the original engine is gone because probably all the sending units for that cool multi gauge went with it.
Seat covers and door panels look original, the cord upholstery usually fades to that color. I don’t see the rubber mats.
Paint looks original but lots of typical lower rust and fender wheel rot. But the body looks straight, how are the pans?
Funny but it seems like most of the 55-56 cars in the US are Gazelle.
That’s a potentially very valuable car once restored. It’s nice to see a lowlight for a change that’s not been lowered, rolling Fuchs or otherwise monkeyed with. Post some more pix if you can looks like a rare survivor.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Nice find. I'm more interested in the Volvo with LS motor. Talk about an under the radar super sleeper. Whoa. Best of luck with the Low light.

Steve
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

That's a great find. When you have time enter details and pictures to the Lowlight Registry: http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/

It should be possible to pin down quite closely it's build date. :)

Thanks!
I’ll add the info as soon as I have access. I’ll also order a birth certificate.

LVGhia72 wrote:
Nice find. I'm more interested in the Volvo with LS motor. Talk about an under the radar super sleeper. Whoa. Best of luck with the Low light.

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I love that car, and use it for everything from dump runs with a trailer, towing cars, vintage road rallies, and even daily driving to sales calls. It’s been an awesome build. I have more pics of it on Instagram, usernamme Toms_Elleck

Braukuche wrote:
I’m betting it’s a late 56 titled as a 57. Does it have paddles or knobs for fresh air controls?
Looks like someone stuck some of the original 36hp components and put them on the replacement 40hp. Too bad the original engine is gone because probably all the sending units for that cool multi gauge went with it.
Seat covers and door panels look original, the cord upholstery usually fades to that color. I don’t see the rubber mats.
Paint looks original but lots of typical lower rust and fender wheel rot. But the body looks straight, how are the pans?
Funny but it seems like most of the 55-56 cars in the US are Gazelle.
That’s a potentially very valuable car once restored. It’s nice to see a lowlight for a change that’s not been lowered, rolling Fuchs or otherwise monkeyed with. Post some more pix if you can looks like a rare survivor.

It has paddles for the fresh air controls.
Yeah, I wish the 36hp was still there. It has stale air heater boxes, and that 36hp distributor. Luckily, all the sending units appear to be there!
The interior may be original- although should it have white piping? Half of the rubber mat is there, but it’s hard as a rock and very brittle. The cloth seat centers are flaking apart- little white fuzzy hairs come off when you tough it.
I can see it was repainted, including the dash. Probably done in the early 70s according to the daughter of the original owner.
The pans are mostly good, with small sections under the back seat patched with flat steel sheet. The rockers are surprisingly good, the worst rot is at the back of the driver’s side. It’s also had the rear drivers area behind the wheel patched.
It is a car that was loved, but was treated like a normal car. Luckily, not too molested, just maintained and repaired.
I’ll upload more pics shortly.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Great photos! Awesome car, like braukuche’s gazelle, and a few others that have been showing up, it’s becoming one of my favorite colors, you’re lucky you have that nice interior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I have a few more pictures from before I started cleaning anything. Interior:

I'm assuming this headliner is not original, right? Should it be cloth?

Rear seat upholstery appears to be original, but is that carpet original? The loop seems too large, but I am not sure.

Is this a Bug radio plate, with those bumps on the sides? They would align with the dash trim in a Bug it looks like.

This key wallet is really cool!

Multgauge details:

I don't think there was any sort of sender to measure amps- it looks like that wire just goes into a harness wrapped in electrical tape which I haven't peeled back yet.

Fuel sender

Oil temp sender

The distributor is a VJU4BR8
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I read that early lowlights didn't come with side mirrors, so they were dealer installed. The mirror they chose for this car just seems so huge and ugly, I'd really rather replace it with something that suits the Ghia better. They also mounted it so that the antenna is right in front of the glass, for some reason. I took it off for now, until I figure it out.

The sticker on the back had to go:

It has the wrong badge installed, but there was a bat ear emblem with a broken tang in the glovebox.

This is the worst of the rot:

I'd love to find a replacement used and cracked lens:

The fuse box had a little bit of hackery, which I removed. There were inline fuses added to each position in a loop. The far right side was soldered to. I ordered a replacement fuse box, but I may remove this one and see if I can clean off the solder and reuse it. I'll preserve the paper label.

Sekurit glass on all 4 side windows!

The rear window looks to have been replaced. And the windshield has no markings.

I did a very light cleaning of the interior using Dawn dish soap dilluted, and a small nail brush to scrub the vinyl. I also misted the soap onto the cloth, and extracted it with a small upholstery extractor. The cloth is very delicate and coming apart. The vinyl is still pretty soft, leading me to wonder if this car has been recovered in the near past. I think that it may have undergone a restoration in the early 70s. Either way, it turned out a bit cleaner:

OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I gave the body a good cleaning. It’s actually still dirty- I’ll need to scrub it again before starting to try and buff the paint. I also used oven cleaner to strip the silver spray paint off the bumpers. Gave them a slight polish with some super fine steel wool. One step at a time.

I also started to hammer out the dented nose. Of course there’s a big brace in the way, which makes things harder. But it’s starting to look a lot better. Lucky for me, the metal seems to want to go back where it’s supposed to. Before and after:

Hard to see in that last pic, but the little rib it coming back! It was pretty flat before.

Last edited by OTO X58 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Took it down to the DMV today for a VIN inspection, got the registration completed, and got my plates! I’d love to take this over to the Kelley Park show.

Went with a broken Smile plate frame- seems about right.

The Ghia really looks great next to our 62 Biscayne wagon.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Looks like the seats and door panels have been redone as well as the headliner, which should be stretch wool. You are right the rear seat is original.
Have you peaked under the front seat covers? Maybe the original covers are under it.
That’s so cool you have all the sending units, do the gauges work?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Looks like the seats and door panels have been redone as well as the headliner, which should be stretch wool. You are right the rear seat is original.
Have you peaked under the front seat covers? Maybe the original covers are under it.
That’s so cool you have all the sending units, do the gauges work?

Yeah, not original. I’m just glad they are really close to stock appearance. I’ll take a peek under the front covers- that’s a great idea!

I haven’t messed with the gauges yet, but I did notice that none of the grounds at the gauges are connected. That’s a really great sign actually, because this car was set up as Positive Ground for some reason. I’m reversing that, and going through the harness front to back. Fingers crossed that the gauges work when I get to them!
lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Love the car, really a time capsule...

I think your headliner is org, I have the same headliner in my early 57, org Gazelle. Lots have been changed in my car, but the headliner is original. At least untill I´m proven wrong Rolling Eyes Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Nice find. So cool to see a survivor like this. Nice work on the nose too.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

OTO X58 wrote:

It would look great with one of them "Alfa Romeo" grills on it. Very Happy
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

It would look great with one of them "Alfa Romeo" grills on it. Very Happy

How are you defining that word "great"? Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

This may help with the headliner. If you scroll down a Samba member (Burman) replied to my question. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742982&highlight=piece+by+piece
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
This may help with the headliner. If you scroll down a Samba member (Burman) replied to my question. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742982&highlight=piece+by+piece

That’s for a 58, 56 used stretch wool. My late 56 production year Ghia still had fragments of it. The few original cars I’ve seen had them as well.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

I have a rear license plate bracket just like that, never knew what it was for. First time I've seen one on a car.

Awesome car BTW!

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia Find Reply with quote

Ok Thanks for the info Braukuche. I seem to learn something new about these cars every day.
Braukuche wrote:
rich caramadre wrote:

That’s for a 58, 56 used stretch wool. My late 56 production year Ghia still had fragments of it. The few original cars I’ve seen had them as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: