Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

If only our Buses could talk…Imagine the stories it would tell us! Oh, the adventures this Bus has lived through. From its birth in Germany, to its voyage across the Atlantic, to its first visit to the VW dealership, to the first people that sat it, slept in it, and had fun in it. Probably even more adventures if it was originally picked up as a European Delivery Camper in Germany like my other Buses. It really would be fun to sit around the campfire and listen to that stories our Buses would tell us. If only they could talk to us!

My friend Johnny turned me onto this farm auction a few months back and I couldn’t resist the urge! The fact that it’s pressed bumper Westfalia was not enough. The original paint oozing with tons of patina, the original factory Safari windows, six factory pop outs, and an original early style two screw Westfalia sloper roof rack pushed me over the edge. I knew then that I would have to pull the trigger and I’m glad I did. It’ll be an adventure getting this Bus back onto the roads. It’s been parked outside next to a barn for 45 plus years resulting in its monster patina that only Mother Nature knows how to apply. It’s missing some of the important interior stuff. However, it’s got a lot of the exterior stuff. I am sure someone in the Dakota’s has that Sand Green nose emblem hanging in their garage like a trophy. If someone sees it, please pass it back over to this original paint survivor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

nice finding!

And very similar to mine (except those many pop out windows and mines has semaphores).

I am curious about the day it left the factory or the starting VIN numbers to see how close is to mine.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Aha! so now we know who won that auction! Best of luck with it. Such a nice cool old bus
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Glad you started a thread. Turned out to be a great bus. I am looking forward to the progress!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Congratulations. Welcome to the PG/SG Westy club. That bus is absolutely delicious with all that original paint and patina. Can't wait to see it at a campout.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

very cool bus..I was talking with the owner about the bus and he said that they almost trashed it,,I thought for sure I was gonna be owning another 58 westy.very cool bus for sure, the bids where getting just a little to much so I tapped out just like everyone else,lol,congrats for committing and getting it,,super cool bus,,lets see the roof rack!!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

hell yeah Very Happy
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

So glad to see a build thread on this bus pop up!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Looks like the cat is out of the bag Very Happy . Congrats Daniel! If it wasn't me getting it, I'm glad it was you.

Looking forward to cruising with you in it to its debutant
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

DANNNNNG that thing is baddddd!!!! Congrats! Cool

-Chris

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

I bid on this as well, this is a unicorn bus in my eyes. Canadian model too I believe?

I was in the process of selling off as many projects and parts to try and buy this bus, but once the price hit and exceeded what I thought was reasonable, it was over.

Anyway, really glad it's back in the rotation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Great Westy, can't wait to see it in person at one of the SoCal campouts.

Congrats!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:
I bid on this as well, this is a unicorn bus in my eyes. Canadian model too I believe?

I was in the process of selling off as many projects and parts to try and buy this bus, but once the price hit and exceeded what I thought was reasonable, it was over.

I was bidding too Wink along with many others. What makes you say its Canadian?
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Volkswagen sticker under the hatch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:

That does not signify Canadian, likely a dealer addition or later owner. The Volkswagen you are referring was painted below the rear window and this bus would be fairly late for that. I have never seen it on a Canadian bus newer than 1956.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:

Not a sticker, paint, at least on the examples I've seen.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
volksair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Jung Restoration wrote:

That does not signify Canadian, likely a dealer addition or later owner. The Volkswagen you are referring was painted below the rear window and this bus would be fairly late for that. I have never seen it on a Canadian bus newer than 1956.

Case in point; Volkswagen script painted under rear window although this is from a Canadian delivered August ‘59 swivel seat kombi.

A birth certificate may help to clarify things a little bit.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:

My 61 single cab that we bought out of North Dakota had a Volkswagen Sticker looked identical to this in the same place. Probably just a coincidence.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Awesome bus, congrats. Would love to see more details when you get a chance…
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Adventures of a 1958 Palm Green/Sand Green (PGSG) Westfalia Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:
Canadian model too I believe?

From the owners son, the belief is the bus came originally from ND and the closest dealership was Waterman Motors in Minot.

The birth certificate is on its way to confirm the country of destination.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: