Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Beetle Restoration Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: 58 ~ 60 Front Turn Signal Fender Holes Reply with quote

? Is there a link perhaps to the correct dimensions and locations I need to cut in my new BBT R.F. '59 fender ? .

TIA,

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harley611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

You are doing a GREAT job!! Love it!
Apostle_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

That is the same color as the 59 ragtop I learned to drive in. It's fantastic!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan Re Finish Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Powder coating the floor pans or any other part exposed to the road is a serious mistake as it's a given that chips will develop and then water gets in and creeps along between the nice looking powder coat and metal with catastrophic results in a shorter time than most can grasp .

HONDA learned this the hard way when they (briefly) embraced powder coating of Motocycle frames .

One can have a "Marine Primer" coat added first to keep the rust creep down to a slow crawl. Much like using a cold galvanizing primer works for wet type of paints.

Had a set of powder coated rims begin to rust up in dry storage on all the sharper edges. Then found out about the marine primer coating. Now with well over 20 years later outside and daily driven some of the rims done with the two coats, need to be sanded and painted due to a little rust . Will probably do wet paint this time due to $$.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Diamond Gray 1959 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:

Late to the party as usual, I too have an October '58 #113 in Diamond Gray, it's a U.S.A. specification car that's amazingly original if battered and rusty .

I'll prolly come back with many comments s I read through all six pages .

I'm curious about the modern clutch hook ~ the clutch pedal is held by a screw and not a pin ? .

Your old clutch hook looks to be in extremely good shape, I wonder if the case hardening was better then as the clutch hook in my '59 is essentially unworn so I re used it .

You keep saying "you can see how bad this was", here in America in Southern California the wear and abuse is almost always far, far worse .

I'm pleased to hear you like the BBT fenders, I bought a right front one for my '59 and was nonplussed to see it is made in Taiwan .

Could you perhaps detail more about the parts tumbler ? .

I also wonder how the heck you managed to remove the 6MM bolts holding the running boards on in that lacy badly rusted panel .

My car sill has the original running boards and I want to save, de rust and reuse the hardware .

FWIW, I've been using dilute Phosphoric Acid in my ultrasonic bath to clean and de rust lots of little things, the sheep metal bits and hardware come out shiny like new wherever the aren't any pits .

VWNate, first my apologies for not replying sooner. I never received notification that you replied and just saw your posts today.

So lets jump in...

"I'll prolly come back with many comments s I read through all six pages."

- Please do. I would enjoy helping you with your project if I can.

"I'm curious about the modern clutch hook ~ the clutch pedal is held by a screw and not a pin?"

- I opted to upgrade my clutch and throttle cable setup for reliability and better functionality. I used the clutch pedal and accelerator upgrade kits from ClassicBugParts. Both improve reliability and useability. In addition I changed my accelerator cable per the sage advice of samba member Big_E_Deluxe. I can't recommend his "1958 Outlaw Build" posts enough. I reached out to Big_E_Deluxe and he helped me find the vendor that sold him his accelerator setup. Since then I found a company that sells a complete accelerator cable kit that works nicely with the ClassicBugParts accelerator pedal kit, which makes life easier. I have included links below to help.

https://www.classicbugparts.com

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.kingvw61.com/shop

"I'm pleased to hear you like the BBT fenders, I bought a right front one for my '59 and was nonplussed to see it is made in Taiwan."

- The BBT fenders are very high quality and a perfect fit. My metal fabricator did not have any issues with them.

"I also wonder how the heck you managed to remove the 6MM bolts holding the running boards on in that lacy badly rusted panel."

- Oh, I did not manage... Bolts broke and the running boards were swiss cheese under the very worn rubber. In addition the heater channels were rotten so they were replaced. I ended up buying my running boards from a company in Germany that sells stainless steel running boards and the correct rubber mats for pre 1959 cars. A friend here has them on his car and they are amazing.

http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/index_e.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pan Re Finish Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Powder coating the floor pans or any other part exposed to the road is a serious mistake as it's a given that chips will develop and then water gets in and creeps along between the nice looking powder coat and metal with catastrophic results in a shorter time than most can grasp .

HONDA learned this the hard way when they (briefly) embraced powder coating of Motocycle frames .

I did not powdercoat the pan. It was sandblasted, treated with phosphoric acid, and primered and painted with 2k paint. However, I did powdercoat the front beam, trailing arms, backing plates, and transaxle support.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
I'm keen to learn about the heater cable clamps as I've never seen one like this before .

36HP engines used a P.I.A. three piece barrel clamp, hated by mot VW Mechanics back in the day, I'd save them from junked engines/cars and was pleased to be able to use them on my current '59 .

I have not hooked up my heater boxes yet but will share what it looks like when complete.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 25/36 HP Fuel Filter Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Where did you source the nifty glass bowl fuel intake filter please ? .

TIA,

Nate, I purchased that from a guy in Germany who restores and sells them.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 58 ~ 60 Front Turn Signal Fender Holes Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
? Is there a link perhaps to the correct dimensions and locations I need to cut in my new BBT R.F. '59 fender ? .

TIA,

Nate, I bought my fenders with the holes already precut. I know BBT sells two types of fenders--pre 52 with holes or without holes, and 52-59 with holes. Are you sure you ordered the correct fenders?
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

harley611 wrote:
You are doing a GREAT job!! Love it!

Many many thanks! Its been a long but fun journey. I will finish up a few things on the pan this month and will drop the body on the pan in early March. The plan is to get the car on the road by May if possible.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

Apostle_ wrote:
That is the same color as the 59 ragtop I learned to drive in. It's fantastic!

Diamond gray is such an amazing color. I call it a chameleon color given how it changes when the light changes. I imagine a ragtop in the same color would look incredible!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
I imagine a ragtop in the same color would look incredible!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775052&highlight=original
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

Pastelgreen,

Thanks for sharing. Ive seen that post before and forgot how amazing that car was.

Speaking of ragtops, does anyone know of a company that reproduces the original colored ragtops? For example, the diamond grey car in that post has the diamond grey colored ragtop. All of the usual companies online sell standard colors but nothing bespoke to the original colors the cars had from the factory.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
Pastelgreen,

Thanks for sharing. Ive seen that post before and forgot how amazing that car was.

Speaking of ragtops, does anyone know of a company that reproduces the original colored ragtops? For example, the diamond grey car in that post has the diamond grey colored ragtop. All of the usual companies online sell standard colors but nothing bespoke to the original colors the cars had from the factory.

Don't forget that additionally all those companies only deliver sewn ragtops. There is only one company in the world that has the original tooling for the welded seams like facoty and this is KHM Stuttgart.
You have to do research for the rigth material by yourself. That is pinpoint vinyl from the Haartz Company. You have to choose some very similar colours from their chart, order them through KHM, compare with what colour you have on the car and order the whole ragtop at them.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

PastellGreen, thanks for the very useful information. It’s s small world. I have actually been talking with KHM over the last few weeks, and they already sent me some samples for my other project, a 1958 ragtop (Faltdach for my German speaking friends) in glacier blue (firnblau). I’ve been trying to locate a blue-grey ragtop material and they sent me one sample that may work (titangrau-titan grey). However it’s not perfect. I took your advice and reached out to Haartz to see if they can help. Hopefully I can get a color that works better.

One last question: what size is correct for a two-fold ragtop for a 58 beetle? KHM sells 107cm and 109cm versions, but are unable to tell me which one is appropriate for my car.

Thanks again for the help!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
PastellGreen, thanks for the very useful information. It’s s small world. I have actually been talking with KHM over the last few weeks, and they already sent me some samples for my other project, a 1958 ragtop (Faltdach for my German speaking friends) in glacier blue (firnblau). I’ve been trying to locate a blue-grey ragtop material and they sent me one sample that may work (titangrau-titan grey). However it’s not perfect. I took your advice and reached out to Haartz to see if they can help. Hopefully I can get a color that works better.

One last question: what size is correct for a two-fold ragtop for a 58 beetle? KHM sells 107cm and 109cm versions, but are unable to tell me which one is appropriate for my car.

Thanks again for the help!

Try google picture search with "Haartz pinpoint vinyl" and you will get several pictures from different charts. They often are numbered so you can order the samples you think that could be close via KHM.
It's true they have these both options for the length. I had the original ragtop to measure, so no other hint, I'm sorry.
If Haartz does not deliver enough results, I found another company:
https://www.threeriverssupply.com/Outdoor-Vinyl-Binding-Topline-1-14-ONE-EDGE-TURNED_p_489.html
Wakond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

Hi,

Where did you find such a vase holder? Looks stunning!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Restoration Project Reply with quote

Thanks for writing. I got the vase holder from a contact in Germany who had a few for sale. I bought three from him given I have two other project cars. It was outrageously expensive for what they are, but I had only seen them in old parts catalogs from the 50s and didn't think they could still be found.

I also looked at your website and really like what you are doing with your ragtop. When do you expect to have it on the road?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: