Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Well, well,
just following thick green paint removal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decouraging because it has been a lot of work but the result is not what I expected. Anyway, having good meditation time doing it.

Then I tested passenger's door

and face

Interesting. So I kept on going on face lifting...

70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Glad you are sticking to it! Yes, it might not be what you'd hoped, but if lucky you will find something you can work with. And certainly better to get off all the old Bondo and know what lurks beneath!
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thank you.

Today I spent 7 hours to do only the half of the lower part of the nose. It is very long and ungrateful. I got from this:

To this:

And you can see I didn't do much of the details. Sides/angles are tricky because red painting is thin. I will let the lower 10 cm. Repair has been done.

Pfff! Sometimes I think that if I was earning money instead of peeling the bus, I had enough money to let somebody else do it.

I start having a right arm like a single teenager Embarassed .
67BygoneBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I've been working on my 67 Bug, and it would be great to get some of your professional opinions on whether the zenith blue is just faded or if it's primer. I posted two different photos below though with different lighting on them to help.

I used a bit of the Easy Off which worked to some degree with a fine steel wool pad, but certainly isn't easy! There are a few layers, with the top one being an attempt to match the zenith blue (unsuccessful, in my opinion), which is on top of a turquoise colour. I believe below that is the primer and then the OG paint, but am not 100%. The OG paint is in good condition however on the inside luckily!

Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Hello 67BygoneBug,
I can't give you a professional opinion, but I am doing the same to my '60 bus. If you are talking about your grey shadow on the driver's side, I wouldn't go further. If you look to my pictures, your one looks like the panel in front of the gas door (you see all layers). After that, you have a thin lay of black (I don't know what it is) and then metal.

I can't tell you if what I found is the same for every VW.

I hope it helps you.

Cheers.
_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I started experimenting with a small spot of Goof Off graffiti remover on my Doka. Really like the way it has a patina with the red rubbing off. Originally I was planning to make it as clean as possible and get back to the brilliant orange. But on second thoughts, maybe a patina would make the job easier without having to remove every bit of red.

I must have read 30 of 50 pages in this thread so wanted to share my experience and say thanks to all the advice, words, and considerations everyone has shared. Always appreciative of this community.

I’ll share more as I go.

martyrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I have been looking at a way to strip the paint from my bus. The previous owner did an inexpensive (cheap) respray of the bus. I came across this: https://shopus.coopersstripclub.com/shop/stripping-packs/

Their videos look promising. "My Friend Pete" over at D.Y.I Auto School / SW Rod & Custom did a side by side compairison against Aircraft Stripper and Coopers. The Cooper's did much better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145qkNioH6U Pete liked it, and he doesn't like anything!

What do you think?

Last edited by martyrg on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

martyrg wrote:
I have been looking at a way to strip the paint from my bus. The previous owner did an inexpensive (cheap) respray of the bus. I came across this: https://shopus.coopersstripclub.com/shop/stripping-packs/

Their videos look promising. My Friend Pete over at D.Y.I Auto School / SW Rod & Custom did a side by side compairison against Aircraft Stripper and Coopers. The Cooper's did much better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145qkNioH6U Pete liked it, and he doesn't like anything!

What do you think?

Great video from your friend. I like the idea of using this as well. He got his deck lid down to the factory primer, I’d want just one layer less (back to the factory paint). I’ve emailed Coopers to see what they have to say about this.

I also asked if they provide a smaller sample option for me to test their product before I spend a few hundred and commit to it. We’ll see what they come back with for these two questions.

All in all though, thanks for sharing. I hadn’t come across this stuff yet and seems to provide nice results.
_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

martyrg wrote:

Their videos look promising. "My Friend Pete" over at D.Y.I Auto School / SW Rod & Custom did a side by side compairison against Aircraft Stripper and Coopers. The Cooper's did much better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145qkNioH6U Pete liked it, and he doesn't like anything!

What do you think?

Response from Cooper’s:
“If you are wanting to remove all the paintwork, Coopers is ideal. If you want to remove just the top, modern layers and leave the original factory finish - I wouldn't use Coopers for that scenario as the stripper will impact that original paintwork before you have a chance to stop it.”

Looks like a great product but for the sake of restoring original paint, probably not the right choice based on this response.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53
Jump to:
Page 53 of 53

Jump to: