Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ghia coupe restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

So here goes the beginning of re-covering my dash pad. The factory dashpad I have is actually from my 64 donor car, so my car is going to have a slight dashpad backdate with the seperate speaker grill rather than the hole-punched "speaker grill" in the vinyl that 66 had originally.

First I stripped all the original vinyl off, and then gave the fiberboard a coating of epoxy resin to firm it up, as it did have a few cracks, but thankfully none that went all the way through. It is missing one of the threaded tabs by the driver side defrost vent, along with a small chunk of material, but I can handle that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It helps that I saved the dash from my donor car. It makes for a good stand!

The vinyl I got has a pretty thick cotton backing. So rather than use foam under the vinyl, I'm going to simply cover the dash pad twice. Even on just the first covering alot of the little bumps have been hidden. And I suspect with the 2nd covering they'll disappear altogether. That's the hope anyway.

And now with the speaker and defrost vent holes opened up

While I was able to get the vinyl to lay flat and smooth over all the contours (the outer ends where it meets the A-pillars were a real PITA but I managed it), the one area I had problems I couldn't resolve was the underside of the gauge brow. With it being concave, there was no amount of stretching that was going to get rid of the extra material, so I had to cut a couple darts out. I'm going to have to really spend some time on the 2nd covering to figure out how to deal with this. I plan on tackling the 2nd covering before new years.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Success! It's not perfect, but it turned out a lot better than I had initially imagined. After the headliner and now this, I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of stretching vinyl. Now I just need to pick up some black paint for the defrost vents before I install the dash pad.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Kool project…. Your going love rolling around in it.

Good job on the window trim.

The last time I tried it I gave up and took it to a automotive glass company .

It’s just so tricky. When I worked for Bugformance they had us put the trim in on the bench them installed the window into the car. It was always a challenge and took a couple techs to get it in. Well done. Keep going. 👊

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Dash looks fantastic.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Excellent work on the dash cover! For the air vents, I suggest semi-gloss black instead of full gloss. Might even be VW's L43 "lava black" such as the '66 steering wheel color. Wolfsburg West sells a spray can in that color.

Quote:
The factory dashpad I have is actually from my 64 donor car, so my car is going to have a slight dashpad backdate with the seperate speaker grill rather than the hole-punched "speaker grill" in the vinyl

The speaker area changed midway through the '64 model year. My April '64-built Cabrio still has its factory original dash pad- uncracked!- which has the hole-punched design. My August '63-built Ghia Coupe has the separate speaker grill, though on an aftermarket pad.
DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

That's a great result on the dash cover - it looks superb! Very satisfying to rescue an original.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

WrennMetallWerks wrote:
Kool project…. Your going love rolling around in it.

Good job on the window trim.

The last time I tried it I gave up and took it to a automotive glass company .

It’s just so tricky. When I worked for Bugformance they had us put the trim in on the bench them installed the window into the car. It was always a challenge and took a couple techs to get it in. Well done. Keep going. 👊

Thanks! I can't wait until I'm finally rolling around in this car. I can't believe that in a couple months it'll be 5 years that I've owned it. That's the longest I've owned any car ever, and I haven't even driven it yet Laughing

I had initially attempted installing the c-trim first, but I found when I went to install the windshield, the trim made the seal completely un-pliable. It's probably easier with two people, but the trim basically locked the seal into position for me, so I had to do it last once I had the seal where I wanted it on the car. I've heard the later t-trim can be done before the windshield is installed, but I've never installed that style.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Dash looks fantastic.

DaveB9 wrote:
That's a great result on the dash cover - it looks superb! Very satisfying to rescue an original.

Rome wrote:
Excellent work on the dash cover! For the air vents, I suggest semi-gloss black instead of full gloss. Might even be VW's L43 "lava black" such as the '66 steering wheel color. Wolfsburg West sells a spray can in that color.

Quote:
The factory dashpad I have is actually from my 64 donor car, so my car is going to have a slight dashpad backdate with the seperate speaker grill rather than the hole-punched "speaker grill" in the vinyl

The speaker area changed midway through the '64 model year. My April '64-built Cabrio still has its factory original dash pad- uncracked!- which has the hole-punched design. My August '63-built Ghia Coupe has the separate speaker grill, though on an aftermarket pad.

Thanks guys!

Rome, that's interesting to know you have a late 64 with the hole-punch dashpad. I had always thought the change came in 65, but it seems VW started it a little earlier. So I guess that makes my donor car an early 64. I haven't looked up its VIN to see when it was built. I should check that out at some point.
I would've loved to have a factory correct hole-punch dashpad, but you gotta run with what you have sometimes. Great tip on the semi gloss instead of full gloss.
One thing I would like to do, since I'm backdating the dash anyway, is track down some of those early metal defrost vent grills. I haven't been able to find anyone that reproduces the smaller early ones, only the larger 72-74 ones.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Getting some interior work done. A little bit at a time because those glue fumes are no joke.

Previously owned:
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Looks sharp!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

obus wrote:
Looks sharp!!

Thanks! I'm really happy with how the charcoal looks against the blue. Prior to install, I was a little worried it would be too dark and that I should've gone with Newton's oatmeal square weave instead. But I think the charcoal brings out the subtle grey tones that are in Gulf Blue, and it makes the brick red vinyl pop even more.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

And speaking of brick red vinyl...I got my front seat covers this week. I had Sewfine make them with the 58-60 upholstery pattern with hidden-stitch pleats, but with the separate seat-back-panel construction for 61-67 seats so I can fit them onto my seat frames. I'm playing a bit loose with "correctness", but I like the 58-60 look better Cool And I think these covers with the hidden stitch seams and padding will be a bit more lux than the stock 61+ heat seams.
Now to immerse myself in seat re-upholstering videos...

Previously owned:
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Looking good. You're moving along and making a lot of progress. Can't wait to see it all finished. My 71 only needs the interior put in so I've been watching your progress. What glue did you use for the rug?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Looking good. You're moving along and making a lot of progress. Can't wait to see it all finished. My 71 only needs the interior put in so I've been watching your progress. What glue did you use for the rug?

Thanks! I can say it's starting to feel alot more like a car with the interior going in. I used DAP Weldwood. It's the brush-on stuff. I considered using 3M 90 spray, but I felt like I wouldn't have as much control over the application. And with a brush it's also real easy to squeeze into small spots you may have missed around edges and corners. But be warned, that stuff will melt your brain if you spend too much time around it. That's one advantage you may have with a vert though. The coupe just gets hotboxed with fumes.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

My first two Ghias didn't have much in the way of sound deadening, and they had a tin can resonance to them, as well as alot of road noise. I'm hoping that some dynamat and 40oz jute padding in the rear luggage area will quiet things down a bit in the cabin, and deaden some of that tin can resonance.
I used dynamat along the front firewall as well, but forgot to snap a pic before the carpets went on. I have some more sound deadening material for the floors too, which I'll post when I get to that.

Previously owned:
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

You're doing good work. I'm impressed.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
You're doing good work. I'm impressed.

Thanks! If it turns out anywhere near as nice as yours I'll be quite happy

Previously owned:
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Nice interior work. I'll definitely be revising this thread when I get further along.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

For the sound deadening on the floor, I didn't want to use dynamat. I'm sure it would probably be fine, but in the back of my mind I'm not 100% convinced that the foam part of dynamat won't hold water. So I didn't want to use it in any of the typical places water might pool if a seal leaks. Instead, I bought West Coast Metric's "tarboard" mats. This stuff is not so much tarboard, but rather just heavyweight hardened rubber.
Then on top of that, I put some 20oz jute padding on the front half of the floor pan, as well as on the center tunnel. It'll aid in sound deadening and also give a softer feel to those carpet areas.

WCM's "tarboard" rubber mats

Naked floorpans

"Tarboard" installed

Jute padding

And carpets are in

I'm not quite done with the carpet yet, because I still need to install the heater cables and levers. Once those are in, I can put the ebrake cover on, and then glue down the center tunnel carpet. I have an obstruction in the passenger side heater cable tube that wasn't there when I took the car apart, so I need to figure out a way to snake that tube so I can run the cable through.

Previously owned:
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Do you use contact cement to hold the tar board down?

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: