Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

andrigs fan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

My hat is off to Andrigs thinking out of the box and trying some new. Very few people have the balls to do so.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

bump for another reader.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I believe he's canned this and working on a different design.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Go to his Facebook pg for regular updates:

https://www.facebook.com/andrigsaircooled
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Very cool stuff indeed! The double fan idea looks really promising. He is still sticking with straight blades it seems and I wonder if curved blades would be more efficient both in terms of air flow, noise and air temperature increase through the fan.

I also wonder at what point does increased air flow start to be counter productive. The cooling fins on the VW head and cylinders have a finite area to pass air through. At some point they will become the bottle neck to more air flow. Beyond that point increasing the airflow will become a detriment to cooling as the higher the fan shroud pressure goes the more the air is heated by the fan and the smaller will be the benefit of higher flow rates.

The other thing I wonder about is are his test results documented with a full set of tins with flaps, as in upper and all the lowers or some combination of the two? And what would be the difference/effectiveness of his new fans, full tins and flaps vs the usual hot rod practice of only the top two tins?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I don't believe he uses factory flaps w/a thermostat. He manufactures and sells a set of replacement flaps that are in a fixed position at all temps.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I think for the vast majority of the air cooled crowd the stock fan is more that adequate. For the high HP guys this increase in volume is perhaps a useful thing. For us regular folks I can see the lighter weight of the fan being a good thing and if it puts out a higher volume of air that could mean we could gear our cars higher and run lower RPM on the highway for better fuel efficiency and longer engine life.

On second thought maybe the VW Bus guys will benefit from this more so than the 1/4 mile guys!

It would also be sweet to have a quieter fan for long trips!
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Very cool stuff indeed! The double fan idea looks really promising. He is still sticking with straight blades it seems and I wonder if curved blades would be more efficient both in terms of air flow, noise and air temperature increase through the fan.

I also wonder at what point does increased air flow start to be counter productive. The cooling fins on the VW head and cylinders have a finite area to pass air through. At some point they will become the bottle neck to more air flow. Beyond that point increasing the airflow will become a detriment to cooling as the higher the fan shroud pressure goes the more the air is heated by the fan and the smaller will be the benefit of higher flow rates.

The other thing I wonder about is are his test results documented with a full set of tins with flaps, as in upper and all the lowers or some combination of the two? And what would be the difference/effectiveness of his new fans, full tins and flaps vs the usual hot rod practice of only the top two tins?

A more efficient fan could be turned slower.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Just checked out his new design today, based off a 547 porsche, and it looks like it might work. I liked his shroud with the built in flaps. I welded in fixed flaps on my shroud too. Also blocked off my oil cooler and only run external. Having the bottom of the shroud over the case enclosed is a perk. As a bus owner who drives in high temps, loaded to the gills, I'm up for trying his new design. Not sure if there's clearance for my CSP push-pull throttle linkage though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lowbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I have the 1st Gen fan, I do not have the nut. Does anyone have the nut? Photos, dimensions? Better yet, send me it so I can duplicate it for my fan and I will send it back.

I have sent a few messages to andrig with no response. I am planning on assembling my engine next month.

Thanks.
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I removed my Andrig's fan and probably have the parts you need.

It would be easier for me to identify them if you could send photos.

If you can do that, I would be happy to send them to you.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

mikemck wrote:
I removed my Andrig's fan and probably have the parts you need.

It would be easier for me to identify them if you could send photos.

If you can do that, I would be happy to send them to you.

Curious why you removed the fan. I have one for my 1641. Not sure what I'll do for my future 2180.

H2OSB
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I removed it because I didn't like the sound it made in my open car.

After I got it off I noticed that the hole in the plastic was started to open up a bit.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:

Curious why you removed the fan. I have one for my 1641. Not sure what I'll do for my future 2180.
H2OSB

Do like every other 2180 builder/driver. Run a Doghouse fan, oil cooler.
Built right, they don't run any hotter than a stock 1600.

I'm experimentally running Andrig's fan on a 2276. We'll see how that works out!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

If you have the original, you need the “hub kit” that he put out.

The original washer/nut would come loose
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I do have an original fan. Andrig sent me the hub shortly after he discovered the need.

67rustavenger. I made a mistake, I'm planning a 2110. I WANT to go 2180, but I keep forgetting my biggest carbs are 44 IDF. I don't want to buy anymore carbs. Now, if I lose my mind and decide to go EFI and use my VFR800 ITBs, I may reconsider the 2180. Honestly though, I'm sure I'll be happy with a 2110. Particularly if I build it to do what I want.

H2OSB
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
I do have an original fan. Andrig sent me the hub shortly after he discovered the need.

67rustavenger. I made a mistake, I'm planning a 2110. I WANT to go 2180, but I keep forgetting my biggest carbs are 44 IDF. I don't want to buy anymore carbs. Now, if I lose my mind and decide to go EFI and use my VFR800 ITBs, I may reconsider the 2180. Honestly though, I'm sure I'll be happy with a 2110. Particularly if I build it to do what I want.

H2OSB

What makes you think a 2180cc wont run with 44's?

Brian
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Ignorance. If you say it will, I'm down to build a 2180.

H2OSB
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:

H2OSB

Carbs don't care what size the engine is. You can put a stock Solex on a 2180 and it will run. I've run 44 IDF's on my 2276.

Dual 44 IDF's can support about 180 HP.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Good to know. In all honesty, I looked at CBs list of engine build kits and the biggest displacement with dual 44s is the 2110. The 2180 goes to dual 48s. I figured they would go on the conservative side, so thought I'd be safe with my 44s. I've also heard 2110 was the biggest displacement while maintaining factory-like reliability. ALL based upon what I've read and interred, not actual experience.

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: