Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Sunroof Parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

While my kid is working on figuring out the engine issues, I am working on the sunroof.

I've read a bunch of threads but I'd like someone to take a look at what we've got or more importantly what I am missing.

I went ahead a took some pictures. I know I need cables, the felt seal and the plastic guides.

What else?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Brett and Aaron
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Can you trade jobs with your son? Give me the engine, transmission, brakes, but you keep the sunroof. I owned a 1971 sunroof bus for 26 years. I can’t remember ever seeing one on the samba that was made to work like new. Yes you can buy the felt seal, the cables, the gear cog, and maybe a couple other parts. The one you’ll not find is the plastic piece that lives above the gear cog. It guides the cables into the gear and will be worn out. I don’t have any solutions for you and I will just say that I will probably never buy another sunroof bus. Besides not closing all the way, mine leaked water. The drains in my forward corners came loose so here I was living in Florida and every time I drove in the rain, the front passenger got soaked when I’d stop. Good luck because you’ll need it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Why do you think you need cables?, looks like they are there in your pics.

Step 1 is remove everything and clean it, soak the tracks and cables and get them squeaky clean, then post pics and lets see what you have.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I see a missing headliner panel and on the aft corners you should have some pieces that act to push up the rear as you close the last couple inches. They are rods with springs on them. Sorry I don’t know the correct nomenclature. You need to locate an illustration
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Can you trade jobs with your son? Give me the engine, transmission, brakes, but you keep the sunroof. I owned a 1971 sunroof bus for 26 years. I can’t remember ever seeing one on the samba that was made to work like new. Yes you can buy the felt seal, the cables, the gear cog, and maybe a couple other parts. The one you’ll not find is the plastic piece that lives above the gear cog. It guides the cables into the gear and will be worn out. I don’t have any solutions for you and I will just say that I will probably never buy another sunroof bus. Besides not closing all the way, mine leaked water. The drains in my forward corners came loose so here I was living in Florida and every time I drove in the rain, the front passenger got soaked when I’d stop. Good luck because you’ll need it.

Regarding the plastic piece: does someone have a good one that I can build a model off of? I have a 3D printer and I’d be willing to go through some iterations to make something that’d work for us.

Cheers
Brett and Aaron
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

The plastic parts were being reproduced recently, although there's a rumour they had a fire.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The plastic parts were being reproduced recently, although there's a rumour they had a fire.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

So would these be the plastic guides I need? I thought I read somewhere that people try to sell the bug ones as fitting a bus but I cannot visually tell the difference (especially since I don't have the pieces on our bus).

Cheers
Brett and Aaron
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

AFAIK the bug and type 3 center parts are all the same, the bus has an added separate section to take up the extra width, I can't recall if the outer corners are bus only or interchange as well, I think they do.

I see many of the new parts sellers show all the plastic parts in stock as well as cables and gears, most of it only comes from one source.

Слава Україні!
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Posting fail. Forgot to link to the plastic parts.

Are these what I’d be looking for?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2364425

And then I’d need the part over the crank assembly which is common to the bugs I think?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Yes, that's the ones, do some searching, many sellers offer the same parts, they all are made by the same outfit, shop around for shipping and price. The middle part over the crank is common to all models.

Be careful shopping for a crank gear, they are timed internally to stop after X rotations, a bug one will only let a bus roof open ~1/2 way.

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I have a lot of experience with bus sunroofs. My best advice for you would be to get new seals and set the roof in place so it doesn't leak. Then abandon the moving function. If it looks good and doesn't leak all you'll lose is a working sunroof.

Here's a pic of my old bus from 2006

Keep in mind that the sunroof didn't work well and leaked badly when I sold the bus. BTW, it's that one piece of plastic you don't show that causes the trouble. It has to guide the cables tightly into the gear cog and when they wear out I don't think there is a fix.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I think my friends at Avery’s summed it up. “The only one that ever worked is the one in Back to the Future” Mine has lived its entire life under the highroof. Now I have the roof off I’m considering doing a delete on the sunroof. Everyone I’ve asked if I should just run it with the sunroof says”Noooooo”. Soloyosh- wishing you good luck on your quest. Kinda ouch on the wallet but if it’s what you want and you can afford it, jam on.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

To each their own, I look at a functional sunroof as a badge of honor, or perseverance, or maybe just not being smart enough to leave things alone. It gives me something to fiddle with when all the other issues on the bus are fixed too. They do work well when set up and maintained properly, but don't go rolling it back and forth 100 times to show off at a Saturday meet, consider it a limited cycle part and use it sparingly.

Слава Україні!
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
...Now I have the roof off I’m considering doing a delete on the sunroof. Everyone I’ve asked if I should just run it with the sunroof says”Noooooo”....

I'm glad I read this. I have a 1977 with sunroof, and the only parts present are the metal sunroof itself. No crank, cables, gears. Even the metal tracks for the sunroof are mostly rusted away. I considered a delete, but thought it would be better to leave it for the next guy. But it sounds like the next guy won't be able to find parts.

I'm not sure how I could set the sunroof in place, with seals, and have it be watertight. I think it's either weld it up, or install an aftermarket canvas sunroof.
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

dlwilson wrote:
I think it's either weld it up, or install an aftermarket canvas sunroof.

So regarding those canvas setups. It looks like a couple companies make setups specifically for covering the factory sunroof hole.

Anyone done one of these?

Thanks
Brett and Aaron
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
AFAIK the bug and type 3 center parts are all the same, the bus has an added separate section to take up the extra width, I can't recall if the outer corners are bus only or interchange as well, I think they do.

I see many of the new parts sellers show all the plastic parts in stock as well as cables and gears, most of it only comes from one source.

FYI: Found someone making new plastic parts. Ordered a set off of ebay. We will see how it goes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303342611454?hash=item46a0a0ebfe:g:epkAAOSwjydduma-

https://eisparts.com/product/sun-roof-plastic-guidesbus-68-77-3-pc-kit/
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

those parts have been available 10 or more years. The central cover 241-877-375 is the part almost impossible to find. There was a fellow having ones printed on an individual basis from aircraft grade resins, but other than him, I have not seen the center for sale in 15 years. Some folks will show a photo of one but they never have it for sale.
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
those parts have been available 10 or more years. The central cover 241-877-375 is the part almost impossible to find. There was a fellow having ones printed on an individual basis from aircraft grade resins, but other than him, I have not seen the center for sale in 15 years. Some folks will show a photo of one but they never have it for sale.

I take it the center one is different than a bug?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

soloyosh wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I take it the center one is different than a bug?
YES. Look at the part number. The bug sunroof is smaller.
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
YES. Look at the part number. The bug sunroof is smaller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TYPE-2-BAYWINDOW-BUS-1...632-2357-0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: