Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 DTM shroud
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

there are quite a few threads on this but most are a few years old. Has anyone fitted and ran these recently?

I have had good luck with stock type 1 cooling, but i am thinking of giving the DTM a try for my new build - just for the sake of trying something different

new engine will be 2276, Tims Stage 3 heads CB Snakeskin valves, 1-5/8 exhaust ports Oteva springs, titanium retainers, WebCam 86C, Thorsten lifters, Pauter 1.4, HD aluminium pushrods, 10.5:1 CR, 48 DRLAs, Berg 26mm pump, CSP relief cover, Scat 2 quart sump. full trim, full interior bug, weekend driven , mostly street fun. transmission is 8 years old Rancho built, stock ratios, 4.125, super diff and old SAW axles.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Hi Clooney,
As you may know I wrote the T-4 Upright Conversion Manual and worked with Joe of Oregon Performance the creator and Jake Raby who took over Joes operation.

My manual is based on DIY, with T-1 and T-4 parts using a 36 hp fanhousing with doghouse. Using a T-4 engine and the T-1 fanhousing did a great job up to as far as I can prove 160 hp, and actually heard of more power full engines in Europe.

The DTM was designed to put out more cooling air equally to both sides of the engine. Down The Middle, and also had separate cooling to the oil cooler.

Again never heard of a DTM overheating.

Now lets go into the Gray area !!!!! The Type IV has heads that are 1/3rd larger then T-1 heads which dissipate heat much better then a T-1. Some actually have a hard time reaching running temp..

Even though you have smaller heads with the air the DTM puts out you should not have a problem.

As for the T-IV heads being larger most likely is the reason why my Cali Style worked with the T-4 engine .

As you know the DTM does not have a thermostat, that may be something to consider if you live in a colder climate as I do in NY. Then again your engine is not a T-4 so it may run hotter, which may eliminate the need for a thermostat.

Everything I said was a guess. Lets hear from someone that has a T-1 with a DTM.

It will be interesting.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

thanks Joe, no, not concerned at all with no thermostat flaps, i prefer an oil thermostat instead which i run in all my motors.

i am curious to know the fit and finish of the DTM too, especially at the edges/corners and also the manifold area.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Well you will love this story, but also get a good look at DTM construction. This is a Type IV version.

You may have some fitment issues, we are talking fiberglass.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500134&highlight=amazing+story
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Would it be hard to have a thermostat operating at the shroud intake? Just thinking out loud, I've never seen a DTM in the flesh.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

I have seen a few on T-4 cars, as for T-1 DTM's man, I would think think they are a bit rarer.

Clooney, you can see the bits needed for mounting that I show in the photos. Even mine I Had to make my own surround engine tin.

In the photos was the patent in cardboard hand made to make your one tin.
jg405i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

I have one that i am installing as of now and i see a lot of work a head of me.
I will need be be working with fiber glass to fit the case tight. i am finding alot of leaks that are not with OME tin. It just dose not drop on and go,but maybe it's just me.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

jg405i ,
Nope it is not just you. But go on Youtube and put in TYPE IV beetles. There are a heck of a lot of DTM, with T-4 . Maybe some T-1, never looked????

I have heard of some install issues and the reason a lot of parts like the surround tin is a issue even on T-4 is because of the age differences of bugs engine compartments.

Even on my Cali Style there is some fitment issues, the guy in this video went is quite skilled and even went into useing heater boxes.

Up the volume, The" VENTURES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deD2JxpUA48
Fern_b57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

So if they are so great are they still available for purchase for a type 1 engine?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Fern_b57 wrote:
So if they are so great are they still available for purchase for a type 1 engine?

After a 2 second Google search....

https://lnengineering.com/vw-type-1-dtm.html
Quote:
Due to high demand, current lead time is approximately 26 weeks wait on all DTM kits.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Fern_b57 wrote:

Quote:
Due to high demand, current lead time is approximately 26 weeks wait on all DTM kits.

Quote from inengineering.com website,

There was a DTM kit in the classifieds this morning.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

A friend of mine had some bidness in California he had to attend to, and while he was there, (He is a Porsche freak) he went by a place called Powerhaus. Nice looking shop and all. He said they had billet engine cases and building them into 700 hp supercharged and turbo motors....he said they would blow off about any street car out there. Powerhaus uses these fan shrouds. May not be what you are looking for, but they are cool.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Without the fan in it that shroud looks like a Halloween decoration
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fern_b57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Fern_b57 wrote:

Quote:

Quote from inengineering.com website,

There was a DTM kit in the classifieds this morning.

Are they a legit company. If high in demand why 26 wait . Don’t want to be a statistic paying $700 and not being able to ask if it’s almost done!! Sounds funny you can’t ask for update if something you paid for . Mofoco vibes..
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Very legit. LN is top tier stuff.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Kevin Zagar has had to fit many, and he hates it. They require tons of work to fit. I did one before, and had to slot everything and shorten the alternator stand about .200".
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Kevin Zagar has had to fit many, and he hates it. They require tons of work to fit. I did one before, and had to slot everything and shorten the alternator stand about .200".

I've run these since 2005 on several different engines. They require trimming around the intake manifolds, and if running a bubble-top AL case in the center, just like every shroud ever made. They fit a mag case pretty much perfectly. My engines are almost always stock-width, so I can't speak to variations in that dimension.

No doubt, $700 is a lot for a chunk of FG and some pop-riveted aluminum pieces. That said, they take no more work to fit than the average 36 hp shroud and work as advertised -- I monitor all 4 cylinder temps at the plugs and the delta is within 10 deg. Do what you want, but I've never had to change anything on the alternator stand and I've purchased 4 of them over the years.

Your mileage may vary.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

Not a type1, but I did one on a 2.0 914 base engine quite a few years ago.
That combined with the 914 3/4/5 gearing was absolutely epic. That car would keep up with 911's all day long and the engine wasn't a big build.
Cooling was fantastic, constant even oil temp, and no issues on the hottest days pushing it as hard as I could.

I think this was a 4th gear pull. So...it had a ways to go.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fern_b57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 DTM shroud Reply with quote

58 Plastic Tub wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

I've run these since 2005 on several different engines. They require trimming around the intake manifolds, and if running a bubble-top AL case in the center, just like every shroud ever made. They fit a mag case pretty much perfectly. My engines are almost always stock-width, so I can't speak to variations in that dimension.

No doubt, $700 is a lot for a chunk of FG and some pop-riveted aluminum pieces. That said, they take no more work to fit than the average 36 hp shroud and work as advertised -- I monitor all 4 cylinder temps at the plugs and the delta is within 10 deg. Do what you want, but I've never had to change anything on the alternator stand and I've purchased 4 of them over the years.

Your mileage may vary.

. So you've ordered from LN?
Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: