Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Thanks--I've made well over a hundred so far and the new list gets longer every day. I've just returned form several camping trips and have reworked my Q and D rear bed platform which has worked out great and will share the ideas in the next few days in a new topic.

If only there were unlimited time and money.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

As promised, I took some photos, but got sidetracked with an AC/sunroof with a possible Reimo low profile small pop top concept, so never got around to the inside string hatch release mod. Only September 3rd and note how some of the leaves are already starting to turn. What happened to summer?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top photo shows the grey carpet and then one of the two turn buttons to hold it closed. Bottom shows the piano hinge and the bolt I added to hold the sticks away from the latch mechanism. You can also see the whack job to remove some of the wiper motor base to get more sticks 'n crud in.

Duncan
PortTownsendTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

DaveBird wrote:
Greetings!
Dave Bird here... Vogel Werks Designs is my endeavour. I just signed up for Samba, so new to this site. I understand many people don't use FB, so please email me at [email protected] with any questions. We hope to hang a website soon! So many things to do with a start up!
About me: I live in Eugene, OR and have an 85 GL Tin Top, and an 87 Tin Top. The 85 is my fun toy... I'm a product designer, and love making things.

Hope you like what you've seen of my Vangaroo rear hatch stowage unit...
Talk to you soon!

Dave

Ours arrived today and installation was quick and easy. We set out next week for a month on the road and I'll let y'all know how it works. Every bit of storage helps, right?
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Does anyone know if these are still available? I do not have Facebook.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:

His e-mail is in the post above
DaveBird wrote:
Greetings!
Dave Bird here... Vogel Werks Designs is my endeavour. I just signed up for Samba, so new to this site. I understand many people don't use FB, so please email me at [email protected] with any questions. We hope to hang a website soon! So many things to do with a start up!
About me: I live in Eugene, OR and have an 85 GL Tin Top, and an 87 Tin Top. The 85 is my fun toy... I'm a product designer, and love making things.

Talk to you soon!

Dave

I just saw the product in person @ BusFusion and it is very nice!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I believe he is making them again after a short break. On FB you still have to email him and decide on color and check availability as they do small runs. I have 2 of them, nice product. There are a few copies around but his are the best design in my opinion.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

WhenI ordered mine last year, he was having pretty bad medical problems and was going to take a break. I use the thing for storing the door screen and hatch screen. Excellently made.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Fiddlestyx wrote:

His e-mail is in the post above
DaveBird wrote:
Greetings!

Talk to you soon!

Dave

I just saw the product in person @ BusFusion and it is very nice!

I've emailed them twice over the last two months and never heard back. Even tried emailing from a different email address.
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Same here - was interested in the sliding door but haven't heard back from any emails. I hope Dave is ok, he makes a great product.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Facebook page hasn't been updated in a while. He wasn't in good shape when I bought mine and his girlfriend handled the transaction and shipping. Has anyone tried to call the phone number on Facebook? Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

A bit OT, but I wanted to alert people to how much room is back there. Quite a bit more than any plug and play one.

This is the route I took which was talked about earlier on a different topic. Replaced the OG panel with a custom one which hinges down exposing 100% of the interior space. Unfortunately, not all the void is available, especially if you have a rear wiper and the key lock solenoid. My lock didn't work so I removed it. I have a bunch of longish pieces for various camping configurations and so this was the perfect place to store them. The first problem was the latch. It is VERY easy for something stuck in there to get caught in the latching mechanism and then you have a problem. I first tried to love this with a bolt extending over the latch, but it wan't good enough.

The 5/16ths hole in the depressed rectangular area is where the bolt went. Even though it went all the way to the outer tin, stuff still worked its way down and fouled the latch. So I made this box,
which was bolted in here. The pan head bolts show in the top photo along with the interior release cord.
Although the wiper motor hasn't been reinstalled in this pic, you can see how I carved serious amounts of tin away from the vertical wiper support element. And from the other side.
This shows everything put back together with the release cord going through the ply panel for interior access.
This shows how I even carved tin from the wiper out itself to keep accessibility to the max.

And a photo which tells how I got all the holes lined up for the box. The drill is for the interior release cord hole.

BUT--Warning--Unfortunately, without paying attention, I shut the hatch such that the cord was fouled around the latch and it became impossible to open it. Finally after about half an hour of cutting and fishing with dental hooks, I was able to open it, but the cord obviously was toast. Since there needs to be slack for my version when the hinged panel is dropped down, there needed to be some way to get rid of the excess. So this was the solution with a lightweight section of bungee cord retracting it.

I submit this so if you need more room than a pouch system can give, feel free to teal any for all of the suggestions.

Duncan
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Facebook page hasn't been updated in a while. He wasn't in good shape when I bought mine and his girlfriend handled the transaction and shipping. Has anyone tried to call the phone number on Facebook? Hayden

I can say that Dave's been having some health issues. Praying for a speedy and complete recovery.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Ouch! I hope he recovers well.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

They posted yesterday that 100 units were ordered from their production shop. I would contact them soon to claim one once they arrive if interested.
A post from last week mentioned that his health is getting better.
DaveBird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Hello Samba!
I know it has been a while, but I'm still kicking!

Had to reset Samba stuff, and with concussion, I had nearly forgotten about this forum until a recent inquiry e-mail... My apologies.

Getting Vangaroo back up to full speed has been a challenge with all the medical interference, but we have inventory of Hatch, and the Slider is near to production as well.

Thanks to those that cross shared from FB to Samba about the situation. We should have our Vogel Werks Designs dot net launched soon... a few more adjustments to make, and we have an additional e-mail address for contact: [email protected]

For the T2 crowd- I have patterns ready to start prototype process as soon as we can.
Cheers!
Dave Bird
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you’re back up and doing well. I love my Hatch version! Hayden
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Awesome! Glad you are back!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Glad you are ok and back at it. I love my vangaroo. Everyone I run into without one, I just give praises and point them in your direction. I would think there are some folks that do not samba or FB but they are on the VanAlert App. If you are not on it, you should be and also do a post about your products there. Looking forward to the slider one.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Good news Dave!

I too am a happy customer! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Great news! I sure do appreciate the quality and value-add of your product. Thank you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: