Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Another option....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I love the concept of this product and it inspires me to think of a hard case alternative. Some sort of a formed, assembled plastic pocket that fits in the hatch with doors in the vinyl clad card.

One more item for the wish list. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I love the concept of this product and it inspires me to think of a hard case alternative. Some sort of a formed, assembled plastic pocket that fits in the hatch with doors in the vinyl clad card.

One more item for the wish list. Very Happy

Sort of like this?

There are a few ancient threads (with mostly dead photos) on similar ideas:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

^^^ Just like that! But bigger and fancier with a good looking door that keeps all the unicorns and rainbows safely stowed while under way. Very Happy

Thanks for the thread search. Some inspiring ideas and spaces to fill...

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I ordered tha Vangaroo in July and installed it last weekend. it's well designed and constructed. At the same time I drilled the hatch latch-release to accommodate a cable for an internal release. That's working well but needs a ring to pull it with.

An upward view of the Vangaroo...

The intersection of these seams is a perfect spot for a grommet that provides a straighht shot to the hatch release (after drilling a 3/8" hole in the hatch brace and adding a grommet to that)...

Abscate wrote:

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I really like this product. I fit all the bedding from my euro bus project in it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I replaced an ABS panel with the Vangaroo and have noticed a drop in engine noise (I have a very raised deck lid and an inline four.) I think it helps muffle the racket back there, or at least the racket doesn't bounce off of an ABS panel.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I just came across this thread...some neat products. I love the idea of being able to store all my bedding in that space.

As far as the vangaroo - is it waterproof? On my long list of "things to do"
I've got to figure out how water is getting in my rear hatch.

I also really like the idea of an internal release - and that grommet seems like a great idea.

RANT ON -
As far as facebook and instagram and making a website for your business. I have a small business, and the website stuff is a PITA, I didn't go into business to do social media, marketing etc. I went in to business to do the stuff I do, unfortunately a lot of people want that stuff.
RANT OFF

Agon - I saw some pictures of what you make, but can't quite figure out any details. A better squirter sounds promising - I just replaced mine, and the new ones are ok - but I'd be interested in even better ones. Something that actually squirts the windshield with some force...

FYI for those on Facebook - I'm not on a member of it, so when I go to a "public" facebook page 1/3 of my screen is covered with something asking me to sign up or sign in. I cannot get rid of this.

2001 Eurovan
'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

How closely does the beige match the beige interior, is it drastically different?
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

These look sweet. I'm going in for a camo unit.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I ordered one, it came quickly. Dave was great for communication. The instal took a few minutes. IT is an awesome upgrade. I do not have a Westy, just a tin top Very Happy and love the extra out of the way storage. I also ordered the front speaker panels. I can not wait to upgrade my front speakers with something that sounds good.
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

weve enjoyed ours camping over the summer and having been using it to store all our dirty clothes

it replaced an abs panel, havent noticed any changes in engine noise but its a super handy spot for storage, really easy to install and well built!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

I would love to get one of these, but the previous owner drilled the holes in my rear hatch a little to big and I'm afraid that if I get one of these, it might fall off when its packed with stuff. Hmmmmm
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

There must be a way to get larger snaps or attachments?

2001 Eurovan
'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

xclemjustinx wrote:
I would love to get one of these, but the previous owner drilled the holes in my rear hatch a little to big and I'm afraid that if I get one of these, it might fall off when its packed with stuff. Hmmmmm

get the big plastic snaps from amazon that have been mentioned in several of the abs panel threads. theres multiple sizes to choose from, should be a non issue

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
xclemjustinx wrote:

get the big plastic snaps from amazon that have been mentioned in several of the abs panel threads. theres multiple sizes to choose from, should be a non issue

What?!!!!! I will check the threads. Thanks!!!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I just came across this thread...some neat products. I love the idea of being able to store all my bedding in that space.

As far as the vangaroo - is it waterproof? On my long list of "things to do"
I've got to figure out how water is getting in my rear hatch.

It looks like it's constructed with urethane coated cordura which is waterproof. But it's assembled with lot's of stitches that aren't sealed so I'd call it water resistant.

If you're getting water in there then you'd want to fix that before keeping stuff you don't want to get wet. The window seal seems like it's most likely.

Abscate wrote:

mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

We have been trying to declutter our van especially with two kids now we always have too much stuff and not enough storage. This is a great idea I just ordered one and David was very responsive and made it easy.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

Discovered this cavity years ago and didn't know about the pouch so here was my solution.

I'll take some better pics tomorrow or rather later today when the sun comes up. This is a piece of 1/4" ply which is covered with some of the spare grey carpet which goes over the rear seat back and other places. The ply is hinged with a continuous piano hinge at the bottom and at the top has two wooden turn buttons which hold it closed. A bag with jumper cables goes in the DS side and on the jack side are various components of my camping mod gear--rain awnings for the side windows and sticks for the bed extensions.

Cut some of the wiper motor mount away to give better access and would love to get rid of more, but looks tough to do as the motor assembly takes up a lot of room. Had some trouble with stuff interfering with the hatch release, so added a bolt to keep stuff away from it. However, I love the idea of the pull string and will add that in the morning--no ring though as it will probably foul the latch when closing--just a loop in the string.

Next hing--away panel will be on the PS side panel where the washer bottle is mounted. Inverter in there with cooling vents anything else that will fit.

Duncan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vogel Werks Designs Rear Hatch Storage aka The Vangaroo Reply with quote

^^^ DuncanS, your mods are some of the most creative and effective solutions.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: