Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

DO NOT WELD GALVANIZED STEEL

The evaporation of the galvanizing WILL make you ill, or worse
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
DO NOT WELD GALVANIZED STEEL

The evaporation of the galvanizing WILL make you ill, or worse
EXACTLY! Very hazardous!! Filters at minimum required to be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

JB weld would be a more suitable product there, it doesn't get hot enough to need to be welded.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
scarruth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

This is awesome. Have a '73 Type 181. Expansion Tank and Canister intact. Scratching head on how the chassis lines attach. Clips missing. Parts Manual has no information. Use break line clips maybe with the chassis bolts?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

The line that goes under the right side chassis isn’t heavy. You could fabricate almost any sheet metal to function and attach with the carriage bolts. I’ve seen a number of Samba Classified ads where the OEM brackets are for sale.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

scarruth wrote:
This is awesome. Have a '73 Type 181. Expansion Tank and Canister intact. Scratching head on how the chassis lines attach. Clips missing. Parts Manual has no information. Use break line clips maybe with the chassis bolts?

My 76 has thin (like beer can thin almost) rectangular stainless plates that are held on with the pan bolts. The plates had tabs on the long edge that sort of wrap around the plastic line. Some cars had a metal line. May be different for those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

My car has a bad fuel smell in the trunk and as a result, the passenger compartment. My nose tells me it is from a crack in the expansion chamber, so I am planning to get a replacement.

However, much of the rest of my system is long gone. I would not have an issue of replacing it all, but I have a 1914 cc engine with dual carbs, a different fan shroud etc. Would it help to simply vent the tank using the older pre 68 style of a hose with trap vented to the atmosphere ( my car is a '73 super)?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
My car has a bad fuel smell in the trunk and as a result, the passenger compartment. My nose tells me it is from a crack in the expansion chamber, so I am planning to get a replacement.

However, much of the rest of my system is long gone. I would not have an issue of replacing it all, but I have a 1914 cc engine with dual carbs, a different fan shroud etc. Would it help to simply vent the tank using the older pre 68 style of a hose with trap vented to the atmosphere ( my car is a '73 super)?

I can't really answer the question about venting to atmosphere. Rebuilding our factory evap system is not that difficult if you still have a stock Super gas tank w/the vent nipples still intact - i.e., not permanently plugged or crimped shut. The only mod you would need is the hose from the charcoal canister to the shroud.

That said, is the gas cap seal good? A worn seal is the source of many a gas-smelly Bug. You can use cork seal material available at FLAPS to fashion a working seal.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

The cap seal is in good condition. The smell seems quite strong near the left side of the vapor chamber, and I can see that it was repaired there at one point in time. I do not mind putting the time and effort into putting the system back in working order, just did not think it could be done with the non stock air cleaners and fan shroud.
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

I have reinstalled my evap system in my car which has a DTM shroud (no pressurized nipple) and dual carbs. You can buy for just over $30 the water cooled version of the charcoal container for the right rear wheelwell. It doesn't attach to the shroud like air cooled, the top connector is kind of a trumpet open to atmosphere. the lower end has the evap line from the tank going in and also has the 12mm hose to the air cleaner. I just put a small plate of metal with the appropriate nipple on the back edge of my air cleaner and plugged the hose in there. I have minimal (and usually no) gas smell in my garage. or in the car. prior to rebuilding the evap system my entire garage smelled like a filling station. there should be a pic or two in my build thread, second link in my signature.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
OldPrinter89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

On my ‘72 super I’m following the evap lines around the trunk.
There’s a white plastic line that travels across the cowl, then I think it should go
Down under the car.
That line is MIA, how do I route a new line down and out?
Can’t really figure out how it should get out.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

OldPrinter89 wrote:
On my ‘72 super I’m following the evap lines around the trunk.
There’s a white plastic line that travels across the cowl, then I think it should go
Down under the car.
That line is MIA, how do I route a new line down and out?
Can’t really figure out how it should get out.

Go to page #1, my original post (it's long)

With the pictures with the red letter labels, you are following line "D". The only difference in super vs standard Beetle is your fuel tank and expansion chamber shape and location.

Line D is the line which runs down and out of the trunk to underneath. A metal line is used for the transition and should go down alongside the metal lines for the brake fluid reservoir.

Here's a picture from page 1 too which specifically shows super routing. Line 6 is the one you are asking about

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The line routing is then identical standard/super across the firewall all the way back.

Hope that helps
OldPrinter89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

Thanks, I’ll dig around some more. Surely someone didn’t remove the metal line. Also my expansion tank is MIA, but the lines appear to bypass it and are intact.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Here's a picture from page 1 too which specifically shows super routing. Line 6 is the one you are asking about

The line routing is then identical standard/super across the firewall all the way back.

What are the individual purposes for lines 3, 4, and 5? I asked in another thread about the tank venting system as was directed here. I understand that liquid might need to be returned from the expansion chamber, but why would that take more than 1 additional tank line? Do these fitting just stop where they enter the tank or do one or more of them continue inside the tank? (Perhaps one goes to the bottom of the tank.)

Line 2 is a tank vent from high up on the filler hose, normally away from liquid fuel. It goes to a lower point on the expansion chamber. Line 6 exits high on the expansion chamber and runs higher still. It takes a long way around from the right side, high and around to the left side, then below the tank and back to the right side, and then runs to the charchol canister in the back to block the escape of fuel vapors. The long up, around, then down and back route prevent it from siphoning fuel from the tank in the event of a roll-over. Line 5 would make a good way for any liquid that gets into the expansion chamber to return to the tank. Still, I don't understand the purpose of 3 and 4.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

What are the individual purposes for lines 3, 4, and 5? I asked in another thread about the tank venting system as was directed here. I understand that liquid might need to be returned from the expansion chamber, but why would that take more than 1 additional tank line? Do these fitting just stop where they enter the tank or do one or more of them continue inside the tank? (Perhaps one goes to the bottom of the tank.)

Line 2 is a tank vent from high up on the filler hose, normally away from liquid fuel. It goes to a lower point on the expansion chamber. Line 6 exits high on the expansion chamber and runs higher still. It takes a long way around from the right side, high and around to the left side, then below the tank and back to the right side, and then runs to the charchol canister in the back to block the escape of fuel vapors. The long up, around, then down and back route prevent it from siphoning fuel from the tank in the event of a roll-over. Line 5 would make a good way for any liquid that gets into the expansion chamber to return to the tank. Still, I don't understand the purpose of 3 and 4.

It is my understanding that lines 3,4,5 are all for fuel vapors condensation, simply dual sided to allow it to run out whichever side. Perhaps some redundancy was also intended in case a line got plugged up too?
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Fuel Tank Venting / EVAP System Walk-through Reply with quote

A non-automotive name for the expansion tank is GLS: Gas Liquid Separator
(Here “Gas” is a gaseous state. Not gasoline)

On the drivers side, I think Line 4 is for gaseous and liquid phases of gasoline to expand (or burp) into the GLS. And I think Line 5 is for liquid to drain back to the tank - but this line probably burps into the GLS at times.

On the passengers side, I find it hard to tell what the real intention is. But I agree there must be a drain back to the tank on the passenger side. The car and GLS can roll to both sides - so a liquid drain on both sides is needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: