Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 'Ol 55
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

I made a small "anchor" patch off of a cardboard template to kind of get a feel for what this bucket will allow in terms of a repair.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then made a larger template and started working sections from it...

Hammer form, tack, hammer, tack, tap, tap, tap, tack,

fit, hammer, tack, repeat...

I should be able to finalize this bucket this weekend after all the family shindiging.
I'm grateful for this community here on TheSamba...wishing all y'all a Happy Thanksgiving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Nice job! It is looking really good! Your welds look good! Keep track of that drain hole. And you might consider drilling another one further down into the bottom. There is a reason they rusted out on all of them! Up to you. I drilled a 1/4” hole as close to the tube as I could, without infringing on the tube welding.

Have a good turkey day. Enjoy those around you. As I am getting older, some of the people that were at the table a year ago, will never be there again. It makes for an odd set of feelings regarding the holiday. But, I am thankful they were in my life! Pretty cool to start seeing it from the midpoint. Can not even imagine what it will be like closer to the end.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Kicking huge goals tehillah, great work.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

There were three pieces to finishing up this pie in the left headlight bucket. So here's the final piece, fitted and welded in....

Since I'm in fender mode I pulled out the right front fender figuring I've got a fresh bead on what needs to happen with repairs to the front fenders.
This side is in better shape than the left front fender.

Headlight bucket is pretty clean, just surface rust, no rust through.

The bullet can is rusted through so that got replaced.

In stripping the fender down there's some ripple filling in the outside edge of the fender wheel arch that'll all level up and smooth out when I'm ready to start priming and filling. Other than that I've got two serviceable front fenders. This little car keeps surprising me with how well some parts have held up for 68 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

I put together a new support head for dolly at the rear of the car allowing me to move the dolly into the engine bay and support at the car at the body mounts.

This will open up access to the rear apron which needs some major attention.

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Great work and progress T1!

I am curious how you configured the swivel part of your rotiserie at the engine compartment. Could you post some more shots of that detail? Of course the rotation amount is limited in the compartment but I like the mounting on the frame supports.

D22
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
Great work and progress T1!
I am curious how you configured the swivel part of your rotiserie at the engine compartment. Could you post some more shots of that detail? Of course the rotation amount is limited in the compartment but I like the mounting on the frame supports.D22

Thanks for looking in Dan. The dolly is an engine stand so it has typical pipe swivel with a engine plate welded to it.
I drilled the plate and mounted the drop leg of the body mount to the plate with some schedule 8 bolts.

Here's a pic of the bumper mount with the drop leg plate that bolts up when the dolly is outside the back of the car

It doesn't tip as far around as the bumper mount will allow but I only had it at 90 degrees while doing the heater channel bottoms and that works for anything else that I need a tilt for. The whole contraption is a little springy when I'm rolling the car since the front and rear dollies are not connected. Otherwise this setup has worked great for me.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Very nice having both of those options for pivot locations. Thank you for sharing.

I see you made the swivel adjustable for height. I will have to consider that when I make my rotisserie.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

I had one engine stand that was set up that way...it's the one attached to the front of the car. I had to do some ugly cutting and rough fabbing to make the one in back adjustable but now I can wheel the pan under the body while it on the rotisserie so it's pretty handy to be able to raise or lower it to the need...
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Shout out to the community here on TheSamba.
Thanks for all the helpful insights, input and encouragement in 2023...and all of the incredible build threads that folks are willing to share.
Here's wishing all y'all a 2024 filled with peace and contentment.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Happy New Years indeed, best of luck with it in this new year!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Shout out to the community here on TheSamba.
Thanks for all the helpful insights, input and encouragement in 2023...and all of the incredible build threads that folks are willing to share.
Here's wishing all y'all a 2024 filled with peace and contentment.

Happy New Year! Agreed, a good bunch of people! Let’s see where we all get to in 2024!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

This right rear quarter has been staring me down for 2 years now...

I've been avoiding it until I felt more confident in my ability to weld it up with minimum panel deformation.
So I got all the cancer cut back...

and a the patch panel shaped up and clamped in for welding

And welded in

I'm happier with these results than with the left side. Both will shape up with minimal fill and primer.

I'm gonna fix the two worst rusted weld nut fender mounts while I'm back here.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Nice job, on what I feel is one of the always rotted out sections of every single old beetle. EVERY SINGLE ONE
Did you fab it all yourself, or start with someone else's panel?
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Nice job, on what I feel is one of the always rotted out sections of every single old beetle. EVERY SINGLE ONE
Did you fab it all yourself, or start with someone else's panel?

Thanks SD.
The panel is the back end of full lower quarter from Mika. I don't have the skill or tools to make a panel with all the curves and angles that are in this one. Getting it fitted and welded in are about the pinnacle of what I can accomplish at this point...but I'm a fur peace down the road from when I started
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

This is a grand update! I was wondering when you were going to venture out of your comfort zone and jump into the deep end! It looks like it turned out really well! You did well! It can only get easier with more practice! What spot are you picking next?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement Jimbo...I stalled this one as long as I could stand it...looking at the hole, moving the repair panel around the shop... but after working over the front fender headlight bucket I felt that my welding and panel fitting has improved to the point where I could tackle an exposed body panel.
Next up I'm gonna fix the couple of rot spots at the fender mounting nuts in this right rear corner and then move to the front A pillars. That'll leave the rear apron. Another project I stare at, scratch my head and wonder over. Hopefully I'll get this 'Ol 55 ready for primer in 2024 (no resolution intended...).
It is January and I'm still molasses.

Jim
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement Jimbo...I stalled this one as long as I could stand it...looking at the hole, moving the repair panel around the shop... but after working over the front fender headlight bucket I felt that my welding and panel fitting has improved to the point where I could tackle an exposed body panel.
Next up I'm gonna fix the couple of rot spots at the fender mounting nuts in this right rear corner and then move to the front A pillars. That'll leave the rear apron. Another project I stare at, scratch my head and wonder over. Hopefully I'll get this 'Ol 55 ready for primer in 2024 (no resolution intended...).
It is January and I'm still molasses.

Jim

You bet! I love reading these threads. Keeps me accountable!

On the rear apron. I have learned to just remove it from the body. Fix it on the work bench, then reweld it back onto the body. Hammering it the whole time for alignment. Your fenders are the guides on the side and the decklid is the guide for the plane on the back side of the car, almost a straight line! You will see!

I will continue to watch! Loving it! Don’t stop!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

I cut out the worst spots in the right rear fender mounting area...I cut more than the lines would indicate

Shaped, fitted and welded in the patches

mounted the fender and running board to make sure everything is lining up right...

On to the right front quarter panel in front of the lower hinge.

Cut out the worst of the cancer

Shaped, fitted and tacked in the repair piece

And welded.

That went better than I expected and the repair is better than what I was last driving around with. I hope it shapes up decently with some primer and minimal fill...
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Next up is the left front quarter panel in front of the lower hinge.

Exploratory surgery...items removed from the pit...spring washer, 10mm socket, fuse.

Patch panel shaped and fit

Welded

I put the fender on to make sure I got a fit.

I think that's the last of the pieces I have to cut and weld for rust replacement on this project. The rest of the spots I'll treat as best as I can, seal and level 'em up and get to epoxy prime.
Next up I'm gonna circle back to the rear apron. Adventure awaits.

I've gotta say that posting up my novice work can be a bit humbling in light of the work of the likes of Nancy, Jimbo, Esde, MarkenDee, Don, Dan, Scotty Timmerman...the list goes on... y'all know who I'm talking about...putting up stunning projects and high end work with phenomenal results...I read these threads all the time and admire the work and knowledge being shared here. Most of them are motivating showing what can be done...then I go out to the shop and stick some metal together to remediate rust-throughs and have to keep my focus on what it is I'm trying to and able to accomplish here.
Just trying to resuscitate this old bug for a final drive around and learning some new skill sets along the way. Half the time I forget to take pics of the processes or can't figure out how to get it out to the thread.
That said the community here on TS has been a gold mine of "how to" and a consistent nudge forward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: