Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

And somewhat related to the details in the previously posted drawings: In my experience with my vehicles, there is a difference in length for the early steering column tubes between T34 and the rest of the type3 family. T34 tubes are slightly longer:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And measure out at 510mm - 511mm

The Pigalle tube is from a '66 Squareback. The black tube is from a '66 T34.
The Squareback tube is 473mm in length.

Can others confirm this fact?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Both of my Type 3 tubes are 475mm long - close enough!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Yes, Type 34 column tubes are longer.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
Yes, Type 34 column tubes are longer.

Yup, it's due to the angle the steering box mounts to the beam, and the position of the steering wheel in the car (lower and slightly further back).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Whole bunch of different stuff on the Type 34 steering components. I wrote about most of what I found:

https://the-nautilus.blogspot.com/2010/11/steering-my-way-towards-truth.html
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:

https://the-nautilus.blogspot.com/2010/11/steering-my-way-towards-truth.html

Thanks Greg. That is a nice writeup.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

I got derailed from my column rebuild project because I got my car back from paint and there were a lot of more urgent things to take care of. Finally getting back to it. I was going through the various column parts I have and realized I have two different versions of the ignition lock retainer: my car's column had an odd stamped steel retainer and I also have the more familiar cast lock retainer:

I was looking through the workshop manual and parts book today and apparently the stamped steel part is from a really early column, like 1961 early. The cast retainer was introduced with the second parts list supplement in late '61. Not sure what it was doing in my May '62 car — maybe VW was using up superseded parts?

There was also a REALLY early version of the column with a retaining screw on the outside of the ignition lock housing. I guess that version didn't work out so well.

The workshop manual says the cast lock retainer needs to be modified to fit an earlier column. I'll see if it fits my column as is. The ignition lock has been replaced before so I might have a column with a mix of parts from different years.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Interesting, I've never seen or heard about that locking piece on the left.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

I was surprised too. I thought the stamped metal one was some kind of aftermarket shortcut or something. But then I read this:

I looked it up in the 1961 edition parts book I have, and it shows that the stamped steel retainer was replaced early in the '62 model year (supplement 2/61).
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

The early notch I'm working on had that retainer and I hadn't see one ever before that. No set screw on the housing though
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Wow, so I guess the early version with the external screw was only used for a few weeks.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Finally finished the rebuild.

I didn't have any trouble at all getting the switch in or routing the wires. The only challenge was a loose terminal on the board (was able to do a mechanical fix), and trying to avoid scratching the new paint. I ended up using the cast ignition lock retainer with Loctite 242 on the screw as suggested by Josh. Thanks to everyone for their advice and to Josh for the NOS high beam switch. Also, Lionel Mendoza's step-by-step ignition switch tutorial on FB was very helpful.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Looks great, Scott.

t3kg wrote:
Also, Lionel Mendoza's step-by-step ignition switch tutorial on FB was very helpful.

Might be worth it to add it here?

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to link directly to the post, but you can search for "Type 3 column" on Facebook and find it.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

This plastic ignition lock cap was among the spare parts I had left over from my rebuild:

Most I've seen are unmarked. It's unusual to have the OEM manufacturer name in such a prominent spot. Does anyone know the story? For an aftermarket replacement switch, perhaps?
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
t3kg wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
t3kg wrote:
Actually I found that the seal is listed in the early book too, it's just not shown in the drawing. Apparently introduced in mid-1963. It's described as a "dichtring für Mantelrohr" or oil seal for the column tube. Maybe it was a dealer fix for problems with bearing grease fouling the electrical contacts?

You're referring to 311 415 573, correct? It's #27 in the diagram:

I wonder if that was a part that - based on your theory of attempting to eliminate fouling electrical connections - was eliminated when the ground tab was moved from the column tube to the steering box? Notice that there's a male spade connector at the bottom of the column tube...when that moved (likely between engineering drawings and production), the seal was no longer needed? I've never seen a spade connector at the bottom of a steering column tube other than in the book. Without that spade connector - there's no other electrical to foul if the bearing did leak grease.

I've always found it odd that the end of the steering column tube is open at the steering box end.

Yes, #27. It's weird that a part that's listed in the books for cars between mid-'63 and 67 is something no one has ever seen. That's what makes me think it might have been a service part.

I was wondering about the spade connector on the tube in the drawing too. It's also shown in my '61 parts book, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Just to update this theory vs. reality bit...Scott found the documentation and I'm posting in the event someone else comes looking for the info.

Hi, don't mind me bumping an old thread, just for info if anyone is ever looking for 311415573, i was looking also for this part but what i did was replace it with an oil seal that i pressed in the tube, the drive shaft is 22mm OD and the tube is 38mm ID, i searched with those dimensions and found some universal oil seals Cool
js99nielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks andybla that is helpful. I'm just starting my T35 column rebuild.
'89 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa ROW

'67 #1 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'63 beige gray/swr 15 window deluxe...sold, shoulda kept
'67 #2 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'67 #3 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'64 turquoise kombi...100% original, O rust...sold, shoulda kept
js99nielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Type 34 ignition/signal housing rebuild Reply with quote

I cannot find Lionel Mendoza's step-by-step ignition switch tutorial. Can someone point me to the right direction?
'89 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa ROW

'67 #1 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'63 beige gray/swr 15 window deluxe...sold, shoulda kept
'67 #2 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'67 #3 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'64 turquoise kombi...100% original, O rust...sold, shoulda kept
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: