Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I’d like to recommend against tapping sheet metal for a machine screw. You’re unlikely to get enough threads engaged for that to hold up under load. Where I work, one of the things we do is design product sheet metal enclosures. Threaded inserts are used exclusively for durability during years of field service and reuse.

Maybe I can sway you a little with these pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The big black object below is the convertible reinforcement beam.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Trouble in paradise. Shop has had the car for 6 weeks and hasn't started. It was supposed to be ready to pick up yesterday. Guy said he's been too busy. I asked what needs to happen to get it done - not yelling or anything, not my style - and he hung up on me. Shocked

I called back, went to a full voicemail. Ugh.

Heading over after work today, hopefully to work something out, or bring my car home.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Paid a visit to Oscar (the painter) yesterday afternoon, w/the intention of figuring out what was wrong and finding a solution w/him or driving the car home. I decided not to bring up his hanging up on me, as I don't have a lot of paint options, and, having used him previously for my '73, and two of our "modern" cars, I think his communication skills, are, well, you know, so-so, but his work is good.

I asked if it was a money issue, thinking I could offer to put up the paint in addition to the price we agreed to for the complete job. He responded no, that it wasn't about the money, just about time as he had lost his long-time prep guy, and that he can *definitely* start on it this coming Monday.....

I even offered to help w/the prep - sanding and what not - if he'd instruct me on that, if it would help (and, honestly, it would be good hands-on training if I decided to do the paint on my '75 Le Grande myself.). He didn't say yes, but he didn't say no, and his eyes looked like he was considering it.

We'll see what he reports back on Monday! Do or die, start the work, or I go get the car.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Good luck V!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

You're doing good to keep in contact, visit the shop and not lose your temper. Last car I had painted was a 914. It was in one shop for 4 months and the guy had to back out. At another shop for 5 months before getting finished.

It's super hard to be patient. Finding shops that work on older cars....or rather go outside higher paying insurance work, is getting harder.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I gave up on Oscar. 3 months, and all I have to show for it is a new-yet-dead battery, a plastic "protective" cover sunbaked onto much of the car, and nothing else. Maybe he would have gotten to it over the next month, but I know mi gente and this was a classic example of not knowing how to say he can't work on it now because well, he's backlogged like crazy and just got a new crew of assistants over the last month and...I just ran out of patience. Here's what I have to learn to fix now, w/Summer half over and the '75 Le Grande languishing in the street.

Cracks in old bondo on left rear fender, bring rear apron down to be able to paint it w/out leaving craters from old dried out paint.

More driver rear fender and wheel well smoothing out.

Smoothing out driver front fender turn signal base. Surface rust started to come thru.

Passenger-side front turn signal base.

Cars awaiting paint get stored in his shop's yard; great, I have to get the sun-baked plastic sheeting off of the car. He says it comes off w/H2O. We'll see.

Then I have to figure out how to get the paint matched so that I can just fix the repair areas and live w/the rest of it. It's supposed to be Marina Blue.
Prep and paint it I've not been good at in the past. Very discouraging, I was really hoping to have it freshly painted by now and proceed w/painting the headliner, installing the new carpeting, fixing some electrical gremlins.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I wonder if you could offer it up to the local vocational school auto body class as a guinea pig?

Good news is I didn't see welding-in death foam body sections on this list. Now THAT was a heavy lift.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I wonder if you could offer it up to the local vocational school auto body class as a guinea pig?

Good news is I didn't see welding-in death foam body sections on this list. Now THAT was a heavy lift.

That is a possibility, I checked online and the local trades career center is out for the summer. Looking closer w/a cooler head, there are basically 6 areas on the car that need sanding and filler repair. The rest of the paint is not bad. I just was dead set on having a pro fix those areas and having it look newly painted. So I'm going to give it a shot. I can always check w/the career center come Fall classes if I'm not liking my results.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Gave up the idea of doing it myself and FINALLY found a shop to paint it! I think it came out pretty good, unfortunately I won't be able to see it in person for another week as I'm in Miami. Next, fix electrical issue w/the headlights, paint the headliner, new sound deadening and new carpeting for the interior, new running boards, fender beading and molding, rebuild the Hurst shifter and off to the races!!!

Link

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

My 73 is the same color. It's waiting on me to do some work to it as well.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Wow, it looks great!

Did they mix the Marina Blue to spec or did they color-match a surviving bit of original paint?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I *hope* so. He asked me for and I gave him the Marina Blue paint code.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I love Marina Blue on a Bug! Daddy & Mommy’s 73 Super was Marina Blue!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Beautiful color, Victor!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

That really looks good! Marina Blue is such a great color for a bug…classic!
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

What do you mean by “painting the headliner”?

J.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

DUNGBTL wrote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

J.

Thanks! Hey Tim! You too!

The headliner is in very good condition, no tears, and no wrinkles, but it's got yellowing and discoloration in various sections. I'm going to paint it bright white using SEM Marine vinyl coat rattle can spray paint -

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-M25083-Carver-White-Mar...5&th=1

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

That turned out great! Love the color.

-Dan
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
DUNGBTL wrote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

J.

The headliner is in very good condition, no tears, and no wrinkles, but it's got yellowing and discoloration in various sections. I'm going to paint it bright white using SEM Marine vinyl coat rattle can spray paint -

Ah…that’s what I thought. I’ve done similar on seats and carpet. Should be sweet! Replacing headliners is best left to the professionals…in my experience.

J.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

DUNGBTL wrote:
vamram wrote:
DUNGBTL wrote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

J.

Ah…that’s what I thought. I’ve done similar on seats and carpet. Should be sweet! Replacing headliners is best left to the professionals…in my experience.

J.

I've done 4 headliners, 2 came out really nicely. The others...not so much. I'd rather not go there again yet!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

This is GREAT NEWS! Congratulations V!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 49

Jump to: