Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removal of engine bay side air vents ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon Crabb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Removal of engine bay side air vents ? Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I have a weird question, I'm rebuilding a 78 Baywindow Jurgen Autovilla, to anyone not in the know about these, its the one with the caravan bolted on to the back of a baywindow a bit like the Gypsy ! anyway my problem is I'm re-skinning the whole van in plain alloy and want to loose the black engine air intakes at the side cause they look pants to be frank, so I am wondering if anybody has any thoughts on running two electric 4" 12volt inline fans sucking air up from an air scoop underneath, which brings me to the question about air flow, each fan can supply approx 100cfm and will draw about 2.5 amp, will the 55amp alternator/battery deal with an additional 5 amp continuous load and is 200cfm enough for the 2000cc type 4 engine fan cooling and the air needed for the carb pull.
That's it in a nut shell many thanks in advance for any comments.
Gordon
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Removal of engine bay side air vents ? Reply with quote

You're going to want closer to 3000 cfm, and VW of Australia are the ones who discovered the benefits of drawing air from high up rather than close to the ground.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of engine bay side air vents ? Reply with quote

those fans will roast the engine in short order. You have multiple issues here. Not only is 200 cfm a tenth of the air flow typical of a T4 engine, you also will get nowhere near 200cfm out of those two fans. That number assumes little to no resistance to air flow. It takes a fair amount of oomph to push air thru the cooling fins and oil cooler...so when it is all said and done, your "200cfm" fans will only be able to push a fraction of that thru the engine...making the problem even worse. There is a reason that the fan draws a couple ponies from the crank, and it isn't because its inefficient. Wink

Why reinvent the wheel here? The T4 cooling system was a solid design.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of engine bay side air vents ? Reply with quote

You do not need electric fans, they would just become electric generators Laughing
You just need sufficient size holes for the air to come in. The holes can be round, square, ovals, whatever shape you want, any size, as long as they add up to about the same as it was to begin with. You could put them where they were or lower down like a older van would be ok too.

Sorry man, but if your first post is can I remove the air vents. heck no!! No. It's an aircooled engine, and the 2hp fan on the back of the engine needs a lot of air!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: