Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 bug grinds first gear and first gear only
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteJawz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: 72 bug grinds first gear and first gear only Reply with quote

My 1972 bug won't go in first gear till I slow right down to o most nothing
If I'm going any speed and I try to down shift it pushes really hard then will grind and jump in gear
It will not jump out of gear and when you get it in first it works good
Shifts fine when the car is not moving or the engine is off
All my other gears work fine
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others will surely chime in and correct me here, but my advise is not to be downshifting into 1st. My car would do the same if i tried. Does it grind or give you trouble shifting to 1st from a standstill, or going from 1st to second?
When I'm coming up to a stoplight i will downshift the car all the way into 2nd before applying breaks. Once the RPMs in second start coming close to idle I drop it to neutral and use just brakes to come to a stop. At this point with a standard gearbox you'r going about 15 mph maybe in 2nd? Probably less? Easy job for the brakes.
I think if you are going faster than say, 10mph the trans isn't gonna wanna go into 1st, and will give that grinding response. Something to do with the synchros or something. Someone else probably has a much more technical answer than me....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you live in Canada. Cold Canada.

I live in Northern California, and when it's cold outside where I live, it may be--to you--a nice, warm winter day.

I bring this up because on colder days here--say 45 degrees Fahrenheit, I have to wait until the transmission warms up before I would attempt to downshift into first. I have no issues downshifting into first when it's a warm day, however.

I also have harder shifting into second when first taking off and the engine and transmission is cold on a cold day. Once warm, no issues. What I do is wait an extra second before placing into ger, under these cold conditions. But it still takes a good half mile before I would downshit into first gear on a cold day.

It seems like that's the way it has been with all my ACVW's.

Have you tried changing your gear oil to a lighter one for winter? It might help.

Tim
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there oil in your trans? Has it been changed any time this century?

What's your clutch pedal freeplay?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Others will surely chime in and correct me here, but my advise is not to be downshifting into 1st. My car would do the same if i tried. Does it grind or give you trouble shifting to 1st from a standstill, or going from 1st to second?
When I'm coming up to a stoplight i will downshift the car all the way into 2nd before applying breaks. Once the RPMs in second start coming close to idle I drop it to neutral and use just brakes to come to a stop. At this point with a standard gearbox you'r going about 15 mph maybe in 2nd? Probably less? Easy job for the brakes.
I think if you are going faster than say, 10mph the trans isn't gonna wanna go into 1st, and will give that grinding response. Something to do with the synchros or something. Someone else probably has a much more technical answer than me....

Concur, do not downshift into first when moving. You might be ok when you are almost completely stopped, but no other time. Even most newer cars will not downshift into first. Second is plenty to slow you down in a hurry by gear.
WhiteJawz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'm going really slow and I'm close to stopping before it goes in gear
My clutch freeplay is good
My tran oil could prob use to be changed soon
And I don't think it's the cold doing it because I use it as a summer car
I will need to check the speed at what I'm going but I'm sure I'm going like 10 mph when I try to downshift and it won't go I'm till I'm going like 5 mph
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car doesnt like to downshift to first either unless i'm really slow .

sounds normal
ihatemayo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend downshifting to first at 10 mph in a vw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most VW manual will say "DO NOT DOWN-SHIFT INTO 1st!" and some VW dealerships even installed a sticker above the ash tray that says "DO NOT DOWN-SHIFT INTO 1st!". Like others have said, most manual cars don't. First gear is for when you have stopped completely.
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to downshift into first, and I know because I have taller tires and my car doesn't like to pull 2nd below 10 mph. If I have to downshift I rev the motor up pretty good to get it to slide into first smoothly. Kinda like a harley.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvtheeluvbug wrote:
Most VW manual will say "DO NOT DOWN-SHIFT INTO 1st!" and some VW dealerships even installed a sticker above the ash tray that says "DO NOT DOWN-SHIFT INTO 1st!".

That sticker was in 50s bugs that had split case trans as they had non syncro first so you couldnt shift into first when moving

Normally fully syncro trans will go into 1st when moving perfectly fine its just after 4plus decades of people hammering the shit out of 1st and 2nd syncros and never changing the oil they often cant any more.
WhiteJawz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will try not to downshift as much and I will change my oil, could someone tell me what gearbox oil to use ?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

Normally fully syncro trans will go into 1st when moving perfectly fine its just after 4plus decades of people hammering the shit out of 1st and 2nd syncros and never changing the oil they often cant any more.

I was told by a mechanic a while back that it is bad to rest your hand on the shifter while driving because you're slightly pushing the forks which will in turn push on your syncro. but yea, worn syncros will make some lovely noises.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldIronSpine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem as well, and the two things that helped was the transmission fluid, and replacing the bushing linkage (The name escapes me for the moment, hopefully someone fills in the blank here) underneath the back seat, you just need to replace the bushing in it with an urethane bushing from bug pack, you'll have to buy the whole thing though, but I was told to take the bushing out of the metal piece, and insert it into the old metal casing because the older ones are built better.

I hope that helps,
Austin
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

When I'm coming up to a stoplight i will downshift the car all the way into 2nd before applying breaks. ....

This is ok to do on occasion, but if you're doing that for every stop, you shouldn't.
You are wearing out your gearbox (rebuild cost $1000+) in order to save $30 in brake pads. Not wise.
When you see the light ahead change to red, leave it in that gear until it doesn't slow you enough, then ride the brakes to stop.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteJawz1 wrote:
Thanks guys, I will try not to downshift as much and I will change my oil, could someone tell me what gearbox oil to use ?

Any brand name 80w-90 hypoid oil...Mobil penzoil, valvoline

Up there in the GWN, you might want to consider 75W-80 grade if you see -40 degrees in winter!

I don't know about synthetic gear oil in bugs...might be worth a samba search
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with Redline MT-90 GL4 gear oil making transaxles and transmissions shift a little better.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With good syncro you CAN shift into first above 4 or 5 mph, but if you make a habit of it then after a few years you will wear it out prematurely...... and then you will learn not to do it because of the grinding Shocked

The after you've learned to shift at the right moment and fixed the trans it will last a long time.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bug grinds first gear and first gear only Reply with quote

Mine will do this after sitting at a full stop, still playing with it to get the feel for reproducing it. It seems to do this when I try moving into first after pushing the clutch in. If I hold it in then shift slowly into first it doesnt grind. This is the 2nd day Ive driven the bug.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bug grinds first gear and first gear only Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
Mine will do this after sitting at a full stop, still playing with it to get the feel for reproducing it. It seems to do this when I try moving into first after pushing the clutch in. If I hold it in then shift slowly into first it doesnt grind. This is the 2nd day Ive driven the bug.

Dragging clutch? Check adjustment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: