Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adding A/C to a subaru conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I've never seen someone talk about how well the under dash AC provides cool air to the rear seat occupants, other than the one comment here.

I'm excited to see how well it'll do for the back seat occupants. I was wondering about a second evaporator in the back.

we have come to the conclusion that the guys in the back may just have to suffer a bit. however, the fans move A LOT of air... and this unit is a dual zone climate control Very Happy

front view

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

with 2 fans and 4 squirrel cages it's going to be a monster in terms of moving air.

is it going to distribute the air like a overhead unit? doubtful. but, I don't drive from the back seat, so as long as my tic tac's aren't sticking together I don't care. daveark feels the same way.

the reality is once you get the humidity out of the bus that will make it more comfortable.

I am dealing with an empty bus....no interior except the front seats, so this unit will have some work to do. but let's be real here....how cold does it get instantly in your 2009 Toyota in the back seat? takes a while...this will be the same.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

are those orange Tic tacs you want to keep wintergreen? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

I don't like my tic tac's to stick

I like the cool refreshing "ahhhh" of the wintergreen you describe Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
I've never seen someone talk about how well the under dash AC provides cool air to the rear seat occupants, other than the one comment here.

I'm excited to see how well it'll do for the back seat occupants. I was wondering about a second evaporator in the back.

we have come to the conclusion that the guys in the back may just have to suffer a bit. however, the fans move A LOT of air... and this unit is a dual zone climate control Very Happy

front view

with 2 fans and 4 squirrel cages it's going to be a monster in terms of moving air.

is it going to distribute the air like a overhead unit? doubtful. but, I don't drive from the back seat, so as long as my tic tac's aren't sticking together I don't care. daveark feels the same way.

the reality is once you get the humidity out of the bus that will make it more comfortable.

I am dealing with an empty bus....no interior except the front seats, so this unit will have some work to do. but let's be real here....how cold does it get instantly in your 2009 Toyota in the back seat? takes a while...this will be the same.

Certainly good points! That looks very similar to the underdash setup I pulled out of my bus years ago and stashed away, intending to eventually reinstall.

I wonder if that setup can be utilized with my old underdash unit?

Though maybe it isn't worth it at this point... I don't know. I'll have to inspect it closely when I get closer to that point.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how much cool air does make it to the back of the bus, presumably with airflow between the front seats. A lot of modern cards (the majority?) don't have a/c outlets for rear seat passengers, although I do like the idea using in modern minivans etc, with the air vents in the headlining panel.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

That is sooo fuckin sceaming "single cab". Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much cool air does make it to the back of the bus, presumably with airflow between the front seats. A lot of modern cards (the majority?) don't have a/c outlets for rear seat passengers, although I do like the idea using in modern minivans etc, with the air vents in the headlining panel.

I think it will cool the front seat area FAST, then trickle back to the rear, and eventually (say 15-20 mins into a trip) the whole bus will be comfortable. kind of like a modern car....

my wife's Volvo has B pillar vents which are part of the floor ducting. problem is, in order to get the air to move to the rear with any authority, you need to have it on the floor setting, on MAX.

rear a/c's get complex and pretty costly on OE installs. I couldn't fathom the cost of doing it from scratch.

like anything, there won't be a PREFECT solution to any of this, dash mount or overhead. 68bahamayellow did a great job rehabbing his overhead unit, but I just don't know that I would want cold air on my neck.

that system would be the best for "make it cool" central air style due to the distribution it offers.

I think at the end of the day either system is splitting hairs, but this is the least invasive way to go in my eyes

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

let's all remember that these are 40 year old collectible vehicles. expecting them to work 100% the same as modern SUV is equal to trying to make a 1982 Commodore 64 computer work just as conveniently as a new 2016 IPhone. When we start complaining that the folks in the back don't get quite the same cooling... . Opening the vent windows is how VW envisioned that would be solved. Really. This forum gets so unrealistic at times. We should feel fortunate someone still makes AC kits that fit.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
This forum gets so unrealistic at times. We should feel fortunate someone still makes AC kits that fit.

yea, true. although I don't think anyone posting here means anything by any comments, but I can see how they can be construed in a way that sounds like "if it's only going to cool the front of the bus, I don't want it

so, yea we are splitting the difference on sweating your ass off or being comfortable. I will however do my best to make it like a meat locker in there.

babysnakes~ this would be a wonderful addition to your Subaru powered single cab Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
not sure I understand the question. this is the layout

Now that I have had my ice cappuccino I will try that again. Is the rear main condenser sandwiched in between the rad or is it on its own needing more space and an additional fan? That's what I was getting at.
They did a nice job on the evaporator. Might have to go that route
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

got it

conventional wisdom would stack the assembly, as in a "normal" car with a radiator/condenser mounted up front.

and I would consider it, however it's a big girl and her chubby self stands proud of the frame rails, making mounting it a tad difficult if I were to attach it to the radiator.

this lays flat(ish) across the frame as it would in an aircooled arrangement.

only difference is instead of being mid ship, it's towards the front more. so take that photo and shove the condenser to the front of the bus some.

does that make sense?

and yes, both units have fans, main and sub condenser, that is

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

well, day 1 of testing....

it's rather sticky out there on I 95

so far, so good

the actual temp gauge is off some from it's "normal" swing, which is about 3*. sorry for the blurry pic, but the ecu is happy happy happy at 185*

I had a clearing and brought it up to 85 mph for about a mile. never broke 190*

as we get hotter over the weekend, I will do more testing on I 95 into RI. it's a good long loop I do and lets me push it hard as traffic allows. I have a feeling my location of the main condenser and a couple of tweeks I have done will yield fantastic results with adding the a/c to the Subaru conversion.

this will be the best I can do, seeing I simply can't duplicate the texas heat. should be in the mid 90's over the next few days. now mind you, I am pushing this bus way harder than it will be driven on a regular basis.

I am not beating on it per se, but just really making it work harder than it normally would. trying to duplicate real world conditions is a challenge, but must be done to insure a good outcome

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Lookin' great, buddy. AC is somewhere down on my 'before I die' list, but its good to know you'll have solved it! Very Happy Good job!

M
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Go Skills!! That's awesome!
The back seat performance is of interest to us for the little guys. Car seats are none too breathable. We end up tying the rear vent window open to ensure air flow for them. AC would be luxury for sure, and a nice one at that.
Keep it up Skills!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

I am willing to bet over time, the rear seat/cargo area will cool off just like that in a dodge caravan, or any other car with front a/c only.

my predictions are:

once the evaporator cools down, and the dash unit cools off there will be almost instantaneous cooling for the front seat area, then it will creep into the rear.

the one disadvantage at this point is, the bus is like a panel van...with windows. there is zip for interior in it so the unit will be taxed from the gitgo, but so would any other unit with no interior.

you guys need to think of it this way....your car when you hit the switch cools you off pretty quick....then bleeds into the rest of the car. we are trying to cool a small apartment here, not a closet.

when the time comes, I can record a min/max average using my DVOM and see how long it takes to cool the bus down, but first, I have more windshield time with the current arrangement to see how the condenser placement affects airflow to the radiator.

I will be back in the saddle this afternoon as the temp heats up

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Skills is probably out driving around right now.

So, at the moment you've just got the condensers mounted and are testing whether they would affect the engine's cooling?

As I said, I'm excited to see how it cools in the back, and I suspect it'll be like Skills suggests, that it'll cool off the front seats rather quickly and then eventually get the rest of the bus.

In my Westy, an underdash unit really is the best choice, I'm sure. And that is the Bus with an AC compressor hanging off the engine.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Skills is probably out driving around right now.

I am, or was Very Happy

little different route today

and the 8 day forecast

sadly, I don't think I will see the 115* heat of texas. this has been my biggest fear with doing the conversion for daveark. I simply don't know what the final outcome will be when it's back in her home field.

so....

195* and you see I am in the left lane Very Happy driving it as if I stole it

pay no attention to the temp gauge on the dash....I have to look into that as I stated earlier.

so far, so good. considering that I haven't checked the speedo accuracy, if trends follow I will guess that 85=80 in bus speed. forgot my gps this time around.

after a long, hard 2 mile pull at 80, it got to 200*. that is still 3* lower than Subaru's low fan on at 203, 5 to 10* lower than high speed at 205*-210* or both fans (in a stock Subaru, that is) screaming at 212*

lets be realistic here....a bus at 80 mph is a REAL handful to say the least. and this bus is sorted with new, correct tires, ball joints etc....so I really am kind of driving it like an asshole and pushing it to the limit.

now that I have driven it in the heat of the day, I am going to do a couple things tonight to tweek what's there now.

although some of you may call it "good" I call it room for improvement.

seeing that the weather is going to start to cool off some, I will be busy all weekend logging data. when it comes to this stuff, M-F 8: to 5:00 just doesn't cut it when you need to work with the weather.

and even with the front vents open, window down and vent wings open it's still like standing in front of a hair dryer today Mad

may have to wring the 1/2 gallon of ass sweat from his seat before he picks it up, huh? Razz

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

todays testing went very well.

Link

bonus points for the name of the situation comedy in which that line was used.

fixed the temp gauge, turns out it was a bad ground on the back of the cluster.

I think one more day of freeway travel will get me where I need to be, then on to the rest of the install....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

I almost said Laverne & Shirley, but it's the mary tyler Moore show. Do I get 10% off a Skills AC install in my Subaru Bus?
lolight70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Hi
Is the bus light or dark colour?
Any insulation under the roof?
Tinted windows?
Trying to cool an old car/van is never easy
Make sure it's parked in the shade at all times 👍🏻
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: