Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adding A/C to a subaru conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Let me be the first to say...." COOL " Smile ......great info ; thanks for taking the time to do the write-up .
Laughing " Yay for You " Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
brrrrrrr Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

41* @ 78* ambient in the shop.

Life! do you hear me? Give my creation...life!!!! - Gene Wilder
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

well, that was creepy Shocked

granted I have not yet driven the bus down the road, but it's 88* here and had it running outside for a bit. drove it up and down the driveway....

something about a cold bus in the summer is just wrong. glasses fogged up when I got out, so must be doing something right. inside of the bus seemed to cool off pretty quick too

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Awesome! Congrats! (He says in the middle of a hot summer trip...)
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Is this with R134a or one of the "R12 substitutes" that certain people in the Vanagon forum have been crowing about .. like RedTek?

Just curious, I'm still a year or two out from attempting to add A/C to my bus...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Is this with R134a or one of the "R12 substitutes" that certain people in the Vanagon forum have been crowing about .. like RedTek?

Just curious, I'm still a year or two out from attempting to add A/C to my bus...

134a

propane is an awesome substitute for r12 and just as flammable as the "new" " "better" yf 1234....

I don't see the issue with 134a works pretty well if you ax me. issues come into play with compressor displacement and the new CRVDC's are a real joy to work with (Constant Run Variable Displacement Compressors) as they are driven via the network, ECM ECC and so on...

yep. carz...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

True. Sorry. Got overly excited!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

daveark wrote:

True. Sorry. Got overly excited!

Laughing no, I mean it's creepy/not right to get into a cold bus in the middle of august!

went and checked for leaks...nothing to report

if there were a leak, it would have looked like this

but, I wouldn't have used poop for the word of choice had I found one.

and, just for fun:

^^^THAT is the biggest b.s. statement of the year. when I am 100% done, I will give my overall thoughts on the "kit"

daveark is a saint for putting up with the time spent. although I will not disclose the total time it took to put the kit in, you'd better have a weeks vacation plus saved if you think you will blow this out in a weekend and do it right.

I am very pleased to have found my custom compressor fittings have worked perfectly. I thought for sure I was going to get hung on that. but that was a pretty simple thing to do.

there is no commercially available fitting to go to the Subaru compressor...trust me, I looked!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

well, it's humid as all get out here today (raining) and just went to do some more testing

it is making the rear windows sweat Very Happy

man, it's flippin cold in that bus...holy cow.

as you can see by the side windows, air circulation isn't a real issue.

not 100% happy with my pressures at the moment so I will tweek those a bit more.

so far, so good

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus"]

/quote]

What is the model number on that speaker? I tried my CSI photo enhance skills but I couldn't make out the model.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

it's a kicker 5 1/4 iirc. I don't have any of the paperwork handy. with the a/c unit in place, it's impossible to see under the dash. I will try and get a # for you if I can

I will say it does fit minty and sounds pretty good for what it is

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

I guess Skills didn't want to trim the speaker. I've got a 6.5 Kicker speaker under there, but had to trim the edges to clear the heater tubes. I only had to trim the metal edge of the cage, not the speaker cone itself.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

you guessed correctly Laughing

I tried that some time ago, and eventually the cone to frame glue failed. this speaker fit with no problem and sounds great too

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

you guessed correctly Laughing

I tried that some time ago, and eventually the cone to frame glue failed. this speaker fit with no problem and sounds great too

Yikes! Hopefully I won't have that problem anytime soon. I would say I left about half of the metal frame's width where I cut it; hopefully that'll be enough to keep it together.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

I know this topic is about the A/C system but I would like to see the rest of the audio setup if you don't mind.

Are you just using a single speaker in the cab with additional speakers in the rear?
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

What is the model number on that speaker? I tried my CSI photo enhance skills but I couldn't make out the model.

Here you go:

Kicker 40CS54 5.25 inch 2-Way Speakers
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
I know this topic is about the A/C system but I would like to see the rest of the audio setup if you don't mind.

Are you just using a single speaker in the cab with additional speakers in the rear?

Until there is an interior and some insulation, the sound system has very, very modest objectives. Mostly to listen to talk radio, audio books, traffic reports, and of course opera. Very Happy

The head unit is Kenwood KDC-X599.

Skills is running wires to the rear for future expansion.

I was using a Jawbone wireless speaker on the dash linked to my cell. Very lowbrow but effective!

With no interior or insulation, the decibel level just driving around is on par with a 1971 Vega, or a garbage truck, same thing. No offense to all Vega-fans, both of you.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

daveark wrote:
No offense to all Vega-fans, both of you.

i think i pee'd a little Laughing

well, got to go on the first road test.

it was going GREAT till all this warm, humid yucky air started dumping in Confused

well, forgot to close the front vents, and of course the lever was on the tool box.

turned around and went home to get the lever. did my 10 mile loop and then hit I95. well, it's rush hour and i am hungry so i only did about 3 exits.

75 mph

engine temp 192 average

40* out of the center vents

passenger compartment:

66*....and no humidity. i can only imagine how much more comfortable it will be with a full interior.

more to come........

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

Can't complain about that! It's hot up here in NH today, has to be even worse down there!
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: adding A/C to a subaru conversion Reply with quote

66*....and no humidity. i can only imagine how much more comfortable it will be with a full interior.

Awesome results!!

It makes me think AC would be worthwhile in my TDI Bus. I had kind of figured with the huge interior space that no amount of AC would keep it cool but you've proven that wouldn't be the case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: