Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show me your engine.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

1915T w/german plenum

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2276T w/custom stainless intake

^2 of the many engines I've had in this car. Can't seem to find any of the NA motor pics at the moment. Been motor-less for quite a few years now, as I've been playing with this:

Stock 1600

2084NA

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
quii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

This "revision" of the engine wasn't really about "flash", more function. 2332cc running E85 with IDA's and 13:1 compression. Used on both street and strip.
(Driving it several hours to the event, driving on the strip, then driving back. So qualifies for a street engine imo. And yes, I drove it without cooling tins around the engine for years. Wink )

(The stuff on the firewall is old dried glue and sticky stuff. Not oil spray.)

Shortened intakes and short stacks..

Long intakes and long stacks..

Next "revision" will be alot cleaner.. With EFI, Ducati ITB's mounted at an angle and more fun stuff..
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
Also, what about the engine bay 'tar boards'

Should I replace them (as they are falling apart) remove them all together, or is there a better solution?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813805

Remove the old tar boards before pieces start getting sucked into the fan! Don't just replace it for looks

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

Thomas Lindemann wrote:

That's darn clean righ there... Tell me your secret...
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of these engines have tar boards in the bay. How do you all go about sound deadening.
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
kevlarian wrote:
Also, what about the engine bay 'tar boards'

Should I replace them (as they are falling apart) remove them all together, or is there a better solution?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813805

Remove the old tar boards before pieces start getting sucked into the fan! Don't just replace it for looks

His is exactly why I asked, but I'm not seeing any engine in this thread or others with tar boards. I'm quite schooled
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of these engines have tar boards in the bay. How do you all go about sound deadening.

I insulated mine from the inside, very quiet

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:

I sound deadened my interior floor, and rear storage. Once the new carpet went over, road noise and engine dropped more than half.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
I'm not seeing any engine in this thread or others with tar boards. I'm quite schooled

Mine has tar boards.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:

HUH?? What did you say???

LOL... Yes, it can make a difference. If you have good insulation/carpet/padding or something on the inside, its not bad at all. However if you don't, its going to be loud.

My 67 always had some nice carpet and thick insulation/padding in the parcel tray, so I never noticed any extra noise not having tar boards. However I pulled the carpet some time ago to do some work back there, and when I drove it then with even a stock (i.e. quiet) 1600, it was really noisy/annoying inside.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
jliborio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

1915cc w/40 Dells.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

1974 Std Bug with 2110 with 44IDF's:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

I have the louvered stainless firewall on mine, no tar.if I wanted more sound deadning I would use 2 or 3 layers of the foil type bubble wrap between the polished stainless and the firewall. I did add some daubs of silycony so the stainless dosent wobble&make sounds. I have very little tinware,cylinder covers,shroud dogystyle house&type 3 undies. I did an experament on the chrome cylinder tins about 7 years ago, I cleaned them & painted them to see how ling it would stay on after 5 years it started pealing.I think some light fine meida blasting would of let the paint stay much longer.
I want a wing for it but....Im kinda lazy& dont feal like building one....I have a new one in the box for my roadster but....it aint going on this. it would be nice to not have to worry about rain. I gess I should buy a used one but...shipping cost......so....I might get out my bead roller and ......dang It been a long time since Ive done that....lotsa race cars&prostreeters.I even had my dash copied way back when by a big name chassie shop(full dash beed rolled, multiple bends like dash should be , not just crap with one bend. and logos rolled into it.)I was pretty darn good at that back then,but I do hate making all the templates&figuring it all out first. ( it might look like hammered dog shit if I were to do it nowdays....)
The main thing is to make it the way you want it to be the first time, so look at all the various cars and see what you like and do it while it's appart and make sure it's all there & done or...it wont ever get done Shocked Wink
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

I love some of the pictures in this thread. Can we get a like button?
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

My custom 2175 , Megasquirt E-85 monster !!!!

" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Dencio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

2180 48 idfs
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

All these bugs that have no tar board would look so much better with them.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

I have a pretty good coat of tar in there, but what is this "board" you speak of?
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your engine. Reply with quote

When I saw that you replied Modok I was hoping to get a look at your engine bay. No luck. Sad

You too Mark!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: