Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia suspension height
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostpinfold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Ghia suspension height Reply with quote

I have rebuilt a 71 convertible but did not do the floor pan as it was done by the previous owner
The front suspension looks low, the cill is lower at the front than the back by 1 3/4 inches. I don't know if that is correct or not
Also the right side is one inch lower than the left at the front
The pan appears to be straight and the front cross beam is straight and central
The right front tyre rubs on the wing when on full lock and more so when their is a passenger in the right hand seat. The car is LHD
Is the front suspension low and can it be lifted. It appears not but I don't know what to do next
Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Rob
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia suspension height Reply with quote

The beam could have some broken leaves. Look in the middle of the beam for adjusters. If there are none and it's sitting low in the front and leaning I'd imagine broken leaves.

You'll need to pull the beam to replace them.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia suspension height Reply with quote

Take a photo of the center of your front beam and of the ball joints. That will tell you if it has been lowered either through the installation of adjusters in the beam, drop spindles, or both. If not, then you will need to check if any torsion leaves have been removed or are broken. See this thread for more information on the methods of lowering and raising ghias:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95935
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia suspension height Reply with quote

Post a pic.
Do you have coil over shocks in the rear?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
frostpinfold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia suspension height Reply with quote

I believe the car is standard, that is not lowered as far as I know but Im no expert
So my question was:- Is the floor of the car supposed to be horizontal, that is parallel to the ground
Second question, on a standard car when the front wheels are turned how close is the tire to the wheel arch. (The curved opening in the fender)
On the right hand side the tire is only 1/2 inch from the fender and if the car goes over a bump the tire rubs on the fender
The rear suspension looks OK and is the same height side to side
I am not sure what to do next
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia suspension height Reply with quote

Quote:
The front suspension looks low, the cill is lower at the front than the back by 1 3/4 inches.

Stock, the front looks high over the front tires. Its one reason so many use drop spindles. I think your car is lowered if it rubs. You dont mention the wheels. Are they original? Different wheel offset will cause rubbing, wider tires cause rubbing, lowering causes rubbing...
If you post pictures, it can reveal plenty.
Quote:
I am not sure what to do next

Drive. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: