Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I've read through a lot about doing a generator to alternator conversion on a 1600 motor and I'm a little hesitant still. So, I was hoping to get a little advice from people more experienced here.

For starters, let me briefly explain why I'd like to make the change. Awhile back, the bus died on me promptly after finishing a fuel up at a gas station. When I got home, the battery was reading like 10 volts on my ohmmeter. This is after purchasing a new battery maybe two or three months ago ... so something is wrong with the charging system, and I checked the brushes but they look almost new.

When I got her about six months ago, there was a mysterious flickering GEN light that would come and go (still happens randomly). Could the voltage regulator be to blame here? I'm about to say f*** it and buy an alternator conversion kit to rid myself of this infernal generator and it's problems, but I am trying to make wise decisions on a budget.

Thanks for helping out with this!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

1) did you replace the brushes ever? How about check them?

2) Was the flicker or glow only at night with the lights on and the Stereo turned up etc?

3) Are the headlights stock or are they high wattage aftermarket bulbs.
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
1) did you replace the brushes ever? How about check them?

2) Was the flicker or glow only at night with the lights on and the Stereo turned up etc?

3) Are the headlights stock or are they high wattage aftermarket bulbs.

1) Yes I did and they looked pretty much brand new.

2) No it just kinda comes and goes all the time. Day, night, lights on/off, etc.

3) I believe they are, but can check to confirm.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Before you do the deed, make sure that your battery to starter cables are clean, tight, and hopefully new.

Same with the battery to ground and the chassis ground strap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Did you sand the commutator before putting the new brushes in?
Tcash
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

I had this same dilemma recently. Try and square away everything else before replacing the generator. I wanted to keep it OG, but a lot of people swap to alternators and don't have any issues.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

As you have a '71, you should have a 38 amp generator. To switch to an alternator, you'll have to change the following parts:

- fan backing plate tin, both inner and outer pieces (spacer ring between the two is the same)
- fan hub and appropriate shims and washers
- drive pulley
- alternator stand

All of these are different.

Now if you have a 30 amp generator (e.g. somebody swapped it already, usually as a part of an engine swap), then all you will likely need is the alternator stand.

In either case, you will have to fab up a new wiring harness which bypasses the generator regulator that you're also going to remove. For this, you'll need:

- a length of red #10 stranded wire
- a length of green #16 stranded wire
- one 5mm (1/4" is loose, but close) ring terminal, #10 wire size (for red wire at alternator)
- one 8mm (5/16" is close) ring terminal, #10 wire size (for red wire at starter)
- one 1/4" female spade terminal, #16 wire size (for green wire at alternator)
- one male 1/4" spade terminal, #16 wire size (for green wire to harness at old regulator)
- short length of heat shrink tubing to insulate the connection above
- appropriate crimp tools for above terminals

Sometimes the red wire comes from a stub wire on the battery cable. You can use this instead of the starter connection. You'll need a suitable butt-splice terminal, #10 wire size, to make the connection.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

If you are only seeing 10v with the engine running then quite obviously the generator is doing little or nothing. Check your charging system wires (including grounds) carefully and run the tests on the generator and regulator given in the manual.
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Suggestion:

Before you do the deed, make sure that your battery to starter cables are clean, tight, and hopefully new.

Same with the battery to ground and the chassis ground strap.

I removed all the wires and connections mentioned here and cleaned them ... after the battery was removed to charge, so I'll have to see if this made a difference. I do need to get under there and check the starter cables though.

Tcash wrote:
Did you sand the commutator before putting the new brushes in?
Tcash

I did not do this yet, but upon inspection, the commutator seems to be shiny copper ... so I assumed it wasn't that either.

telford dorr wrote:
As you have a '71, you should have a 38 amp generator. To switch to an alternator, you'll have to change the following parts:

Well then, I suppose it isn't quite so simple as slap on a conversion kit. Thanks for the info. Is there a DIY guide for this anywhere?

— Thanks for the help everyone.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

An alternator is a nice up-grade for the 1971 VW Bus. You will have charge at idle with an alternator! If you do upgrade to an alternator the 38' amp generators with their fan backing plate and pulley are valuable. I need the pulley for my Original and spare engine which still has the 38amp generator for my bus. I'd put an alternator on it though if I had one.
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

How would I be able to tell if the voltage regulator is kaput?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Seriously, Change it for a new one as they are not expensive. The nuance details of testing are pretty involved. A voltage regulator for a VW bosch generator is doing two things. (well more than 2 but) It's Connecting generator D+(the generators + output) to B+ the + battery wire when charging and it intermittently connects the Generator F(field) wire to ground which makes the generator charge just right. I like the new Bosch Solid State Voltage regulators.
Just remember the wiring, the generator, the mechanical and regulator are a system and work together. I have found it's best to do everything when it comes to my charging system. Even the battery can cause problems with them. Mechanical voltage regulators some are pretty bad and won't last long, also if the battery is too big or drawing a lot of charge current it's rough on mechanical voltage regulators and generator brushes.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Current/Voltage regulator Reply with quote

Filthy Dub wrote:
How would I be able to tell if the voltage regulator is kaput?

The general method is to replace it. If the new one works, the old one was bad. [The problem with this method is if you have a 38 amp regulator, you'll likely have to substitute a 30 amp unit, as replacement 38 amp units are rare. If you substitute a solid state version, be aware the case shell is at 12 volts, so don't short it to ground accidentally.]

However, if you have a variable voltage DC power supply (a 'dumb' battery charger and a Variac will also work), you can easily bench-test them. On the regulator, you connect a test light between D+ and Df, and connect the power supply between D+ and case ground. You now slowly increase the power supply voltage. As it reaches around 14 volts, the test light will switch from solid on to flickering or off. If the regulator is a mechanical type, it will start buzzing. This is the regulation point. Don't stay at this voltage level too long, as there's a resistor on the bottom of mechanical regulators that will start to get hot.

Other tools / info: generator / alternator test stand:

Regulator internal wiring:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Hi Telford

Quote:
As it reaches around 14 volts, the test light will switch from solid on to flickering or off.

So this would test the (Current/Voltage regulator)
How would you test the (Cutout relay)?

I found this on youtube. It is testing an alternator regulator. But shows the test procedure. Telford is this adequate for demonstration purposes?

Link

Thank you
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Another question, a variac is expensive.
What specifications would be needed?

Would one of these fit the bill?
https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Variable-Voltage-Pow...entries*=0

https://www.amazon.com/Calrad-45-734-Regulated-Mul...wer+Supply

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Variable-Supply-D...wer+Supply

Thanks again
Tcash
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

I changed mine in 2000 no problems since.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Voltage Relay Cutout relay testing Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
So this would test the (Current/Voltage regulator)
How would you test the (Cutout relay)?

Connect the test light from B+ to ground. As you increase the voltage on D+, you'll reach a point where the cutout relay will pull in, lighting the light. Decreasing the voltage should cause the cutout relay to drop out, turning off the light. [Note this is not a complete test, as the cutout relay normally drops out from reverse current flow from the battery into the generator. You'd need an actual battery and voltmeter connected to B+, plus a power supply that can sink current (not common), to test this accurately.]

Quote:
I found this on youtube. It is testing an alternator regulator. But shows the test procedure. Telford is this adequate for demonstration purposes?

Yes, for solid-state regulators (other than the 15 volt regulation point - a bit high...) Mechanical regulators seem to vibrate the contacts at the trip point rather than a nice clean switch. But yeah, it's adequate.

Last edited by telford dorr on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: To convert or not to convert — Generator to Alternator Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Another question, a variac is expensive.
What specifications would be needed?

Yeah, they are - but a good one will last a lifetime. Watch ebay - stuff comes up periodically.

130 volt 5 amp would be ideal. For purposes of this specific test, 1.5 amps would be enough.

Quote:
Would one of these fit the bill?

All are a bit light (for general purpose use). You need 0->15 volts at 4 amps minimum for generator testing and ignition testing. Again, I'd look on ebay for used adjustable lab power supplies. Mine is an old HP unit ('70's vintage) that's good for 24 volts and 4 amps.

If you already have a Variac, a 'dumb' battery charger is generally good for 10 amps, and can be had pretty cheap (especially used), as everyone wants 'smart' chargers now (which are definitely better for the battery, and won't fry your electronics, like the old dumb chargers would...)

And then there's serious overkill (30 amp Variac, 160 amp dumb charger):

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Voltage Relay Cutout relay testing Reply with quote

Telford can we take this conversation over to here?
Charging System

Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: