Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot Thermal Cover suction cups
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trey_h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Bus Depot Thermal Cover suction cups Reply with quote

if anyone has experience with this set, does anyone have a recommendation for upgrading the suction cups? the provided set are pretty worthless, and I'd like to try to fit different suction cups before trying to get magnets and sew them up.

thanks.

http://www.busdepot.com/j12747
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Thermal Cover suction cups Reply with quote

The key to the suction cups is that the surface must be absolutely clean and slightly damp. Some people like them, some people don't, but proper surface prep can make all the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
proofpudding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Thermal Cover suction cups Reply with quote

Might want to stick with them a while longer, I thought they were worthless at first too. I found they work fine but need a good amount of lube to stick at first... water or maybe some windex should keep your windows from getting filthy. Spit / saliva if you are gross.

I have also heard that suction cups often benefit from a few minutes in boiling water. I used to do this with suctions that help my radar detector up on an old car. Worked to rejuvenate them back into shape and hold for another 6 months or so. Not sure what this would do with new suction cups.

Best of luck
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Thermal Cover suction cups Reply with quote

I used a tiny dab of dielectric grease on mine and they suction great. Though, mine are semi-permanent installations. For the front, I just wet the cups that won't stick and they hold out the rest of the night. They're pretty lackluster cups, for sure. Though, definitely not worthless.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Thermal Cover suction cups Reply with quote

I've always had trouble with these. I understand the ideal situation is a wonderfully clean window and a recently boiled suction cup but those two things never seem to come together for me. Plus I'm missing some cups now. The fact that they're stored rolled up for a year or two here and there doesn't help, they want to return to their rolled up shape.

Anybody know of suction cup replacements?

-Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: