Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wide-5 Disc Brakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

This topic has been beaten to death, I'm sure... but I still haven't found exactly what I needed. So, here's my dilemma:

I have a 1969 Squareback that (eventually) I'd like to convert to a wide-5 setup so I can throw some old school smoothies on there. It currently has a 5x130 Porsche setup, front discs, rear drums. I know it would be easy enough to just buy new rotors/drums in a 4x130 stock setup, but I'm not really a fan of that wheel selection.

If I'm looking to keep discs in front and drums in back, what exactly do I need to make the conversion? Rear drums seem pretty straightforward. But are the front rotors so much wider that they won't fit the stock caliper/spindle? Do I need an entire kit, or just rotors with some additional parts? Is there anything else I need to know before tackling this job? And how can I do it without going completely broke.. if possible Laughing

I'm hoping this isn't too loaded of a post, but I won't be surprised if it is. Thank you guys in advance for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225527
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Yaaaa.. this was the thread that scared me initially.

Is there a standard radius for a wide 5 rotor that makes it necessary to use a new caliper bracket? If so, how much larger is it than a regular 4 or 5x130?
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

well, thats the cheap way

You can go Airkewlt or CSP, that review has been done here too

I don't think you are going to do well trying to re-invent the wheel though...
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Definitely.

I'm not in any rush, so I'm assuming there's a good solution for this circumstance out there somewhere that I'll find eventually.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

LandalftheGray wrote:
Definitely.

I'm not in any rush, so I'm assuming there's a good solution for this circumstance out there somewhere that I'll find eventually.

Yes. The link above. That's the cheap way to go wide 5
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Exactly, which is why I'm not referencing that link. I'm trying to find the right way to do it that isn't a full drum to disc conversion kit. Unless the cheap way is the right way, but it never works out like that.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

All Wide 5 disc kits are 'drum to disc' conversions because Wide 5 was never disc.

I'm probably one of the few people who've owned all three of the obvious options for wide 5 disc brakes for Type 3.

What are you comfortable doing yourself to achieve a safe properly functioning brake system? If you don't want to modify parts - the Empi ball joint disc brake conversion isn't for you.

Then you have CSP and Airkewld...here's the review on that experience:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633909

I've purchased four CSP kits now. Expensive? Yes. But they're also complete (minus lug nuts), require no modifications and they are the only kit (that I know of) that has been tested and quality inspected by an outside organization (TUV in Germany).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
All Wide 5 disc kits are 'drum to disc' conversions because Wide 5 was never disc.

Thanks dude! That's exactly what I wasn't sure of. I knew that original wide-5 setups were all drum, but that's the kind of info I needed for the discs. Is the issue in the bearing size, overall diameter, caliper clearance, etc?

As for modifying parts, I'm fairly comfortable with doing it, just not financially ready to get a full on kit right now. If that's what it's gonna take, then I can save up. But it'll be a while.

I definitely wanna do it right and safe. I guess I'm just a little shocked that there isn't a better option for later models that are already running discs up front. Anyway, thanks again dude!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

If you're looking to keep your existing spindles and modify them - you can do that with the EMPI/AC Industries kit. The only thing you're really changing is the bolt spacing to accommodate the wide 5 bolt circle. The caliper bracket relocates the caliper to fit the rotor that comes in the kit.

I'm not aware of a 'direct swap' for the 4 lug spindle/existing caliper to the wide 5 disc rotor - the aftermarket kits are focused on people who have early wide 5 cars and want to upgrade to disc brakes - not people who want the wide 5 bolt pattern on a 4 lug car. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist - just that I've never heard of it...there is what I refer to as a 'ghetto mod' for 4 lug - wheel spacers on the existing 4 lug rotors/calipers to use wide 5 wheels...but then you have clearance issues with wheels and you wind up with 9 lug bolts per wheel. I'm not a fan of wheel spacers and the whole thing looks janky to me. Half assing brakes doesn't strike me as a great idea.

I don't have any 4 lug brake parts so I can't comment on the diameter vs. the wide 5 rotors from various sources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
I'm not aware of a 'direct swap' for the 4 lug spindle/existing caliper to the wide 5 disc rotor - the aftermarket kits are focused on people who have early wide 5 cars and want to upgrade to disc brakes - not people who want the wide 5 bolt pattern on a 4 lug car.

Absolutely. That totally makes sense, and I could see going that route if I had an earlier car. That's exactly what I mean though, and if it's kind of newer territory then I might just do some safe experimenting myself and post some results. I definitely don't want to Frakenstein my brakes together and then hop on the freeway, of course. I plan on having this thing for a while and just want to do it right.

I'm also not opposed to going back to a stock 4, but I just don't like the selection in that setup as much as a wide-5 (or even a Chevy 5 for that matter). Thanks again though dude! Let me know if you know or hear of anyone who might have done this too Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

In my case, on my 64 T-34 I didn't want to modify the stock wide 5 drums in any way (figured the next owner could put the drums back on if they wanted them). I ordered up a used set of spindles from Joel, and modified them to use the AC Industries kit. I didn't use the braided hoses or master cylinder as I had new rubber hoses already, and the MC was for a bug/ghia. Going that route allowed me to take my time and get everything to fit right. Once that was done, it became a bolt on swap, with a front brake bleed. I drove the car out to the Colorado Invasion and back and had no problems at all with the brakes. I even had DoT 5 brake fluid in it.

My son saw how easy it was to do the conversion, and is looking at doing it on his own car when he gets the funds to do so (his car is a 65 but is on 4 lugs).

Don't forget you'll need some wide 5 rear drums. At least those are directly interchangeable. Smile
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Bobnotch, that's awesome man! It's more or less what I'm trying to achieve too.. kind of experimenting with what I have and what I can manage to get my hands on. Rear drums seem fairly easy, but fitting a wide-5 front disc is gonna be the part I have to plan out. That's excellent though.. I'm gonna look into the process you used. Thanks dude!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

LandalftheGray wrote:
Bobnotch, that's awesome man! It's more or less what I'm trying to achieve too.. kind of experimenting with what I have and what I can manage to get my hands on. Rear drums seem fairly easy, but fitting a wide-5 front disc is gonna be the part I have to plan out. That's excellent though.. I'm gonna look into the process you used. Thanks dude!

I bought the spacer ring/locator ring from Chris (flyinglow), and that sets where you'll need to trim off the ears from the disc spindle. From there it's just a matter of drilling and tapping 3 holes. Chris (the thread starter)spent some time getting things right. Like I said, I got a 2nd set of spindles to re-work, then turned it into a bolt on swap. In that case, you just need to know whether you've got early 68, or mid 68 on which dictates what earing and race combo to use.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

what about these ??????????

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

maico discs
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:

maico discs

Other than Aaron - who do you know that has a set?
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Ohh crazy! What are the special requirements for those? (if any)
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

An ability to find unobtanium and have bottomless pockets.

Last edited by ataraxia on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

...and being in the right spot at the right time, as well as being involved in the hobby for a long, long time.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-5 Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:

maico discs

would love to know more. who makes them? link?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: