Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need to grind holes for trailing arms.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

When I got my bug years ago, it did the squat and / \ in the rear. It would corner ok but it always "bugged" me. I recently got some new tires for the front and shifted the ones in the front to the back and it helps some. Then I had a guy that worked on bugs jack the rear end up to a more level ride height. I had told him that my rear wheels toe out and when going in curves it wants to throw it's rear into the curve just slightly.

There is evidence that the car has been hit on the left back side before and possibly over straightened, meaning when whoever tried to straighten the frame they went to far as the engine in the car seems to sit more to the right off center.

The left trailing arm can't be moved forward any more than it already is and it still has like an inch or less toe out on that side (so I guess when it was straightened they pulled that too far back. I'm assuming that the reason why it was eating the inside of the tires in the rear was the fact that the toe out made it ride more like / \. I'd like to see if it's possible to find some sort of grinder drill bit or rotary tool that I can use to widen the bolt holes forward on the spring plate so that I can move the trailing arm forward more to straighten it up.

So the question is, is my idea a good idea to try and fix my problem?

Note: The right rear has room to move but it was suggested that I leave it toed out the same amount as the left.

Does anyone know of a good grinding bit for the metal? Something that won't scar it up. I have a picture in my head of just some magical drill bit that will go in the holes that are already there and just extend them forward.

Any advice is appreciated.
Received: Washington, USA
Original Color: L 12 D Shantung Yellow
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

If it's squatting due to worn trailing arm\torsion bushings and aged torsion springs you need to reindex the rear. If you need to adjust the toe, elongating the spring plate holes is acceptablex as long as you don't go too far.
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

Yeah the toe is the only thing left to do. I was going to try for about half an inch or less. Just enough to straighten it better than it is until I can figure out how to align it right.
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

Quote:
grinder drill bit or rotary tool that I can use to widen the bolt holes forward

Hope you know that's some really hard metal. The slots can be 'opened up' about .012" wider to accommodate 1/2" 20 NF Grade 8 bolts that are easier to find.

To do at 'home' center punch then drill a 1/2" hole 1/2", or so, pass the edge (and center-lined) of the original slot. Take a hack saw apart and put the blade thru the slot and reassembly the hack saw. Saw against the edge towards the drilled hole. Clean up the sawed part with a file or die grinder. Use the 'chuck' end of the drill bit as a 'clearance' guide.

Or take it to a machine shop and have them do it. Wink
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

If you are looking from the back and the top of the tires are angled together like this / \, and you have toe out as well (back in more then front) \ / , Your trailing arms are bent. Not only do I see this all the time in the off road world. I have also had to swap out the arms on my 69 DD and my 73 Squareback. You can do a hell of a lot of work and maybe get them kind of close, or you can swap them out and be done with it. The trailing arms are universal. In fact, I am running Type 1 trailing arms on my Squareback. Just make sure that there are the same mounting holes where the arms attach to the spring plates.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

I have another set of trailing arms I installed years ago on it now because it was squatting with the old ones too. It has been suggested to me that my torsion tubes are warped. I have double spring plates so my options for them being universal is rare. If I jack the car up everything snaps straight in the rear but it's still toed out and can't be adjusted any further because there isn't room on that one side. The other side can be. I just need to find the right drill bits and tools and stuff.

My theory is, since it's toed out, while I'm driving it the tires are constantly fighting against the toe out which causes them to look / \. If I toe them in more ie: straight, then they should rest better when the car is just sitting. I ran an experiment accidentally, I went to get gas one day and went too far past the pump, I backed the car up and went in to pay. On my way out I looked at the car and the tires were | |. I thought "...?". It then hit me, maybe since going back wards the toe in straightened them up. So I tested it again when I got home and sure enough, if I roll it backwards about a few feet they straighten back up some. Hence the reason I need to toe them straighter. I just need to know what tools are best suited for the job.
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

I think you are confusing toe for camber. Toe in is when the leading/forward edge of the tires are closer together. / \ Imagine this if you are looking straight down from above the car "TOE. Negative camber is when the top of the tires are tucked into the fenders while the bottom is further out / \. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this is what I perceive that you are trying to describe.
Have a safe Forth.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

You might want to page through the rear suspension section of this book once again. It should have the specs. and repair suggestions that you seek,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have a safe Forth.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

Camber = top and bottom.
Toe = left and right or sides.
So yeah...
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need to grind holes for trailing arms. Reply with quote

Sorry, had to make a quick render, can't get out to my car to take pictures at the moment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: