Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum brakes not working after free play adjustment
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ursalon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Drum brakes not working after free play adjustment Reply with quote

So I adjusted the free play on my brakes the other day by loosening the stopping bracket behind the pedal cluster and now my brakes don't work at all. I initially adjusted them because the relief valves in the master didn't have clearance and the brakes were seizing. Anyways now the pedal goes all the way to the floor and nothing doing. My shoes are adjusted correctly and there isnt any air or leaks in the system and there's plenty of fluid. Any ideas?
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes not working after free play adjustment Reply with quote

Newly rebuilt MC, or old one? How did you set the free play?
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes not working after free play adjustment Reply with quote

Adjust the shoes.

the fact that the fluid was not being released was holding the shoes close to the drum.

Now they have found their relaxed state they reside too far from the drum to make contact and friction with the amount of fluid displaced in the pedals travel.

That's the first step.

adjust till locked up totally then back off just 3 clicks.

It will appear too tight but in actuality accurate.

And because the shoes are and have been adjusted so far from the correct placement, it may take repeated adjustments and test drives till they are correctly left at rest just a very short distance from the drum. Close enough that the minimal amount of fluid displaced in less than a pump or 2 will apply adequate friction.

After that process, or multiple efforts then I would presume you have infact adjusted the shoes.

Unlike most any other car or truck out there the shoes do not adjust themselves and close enough just won't work.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes not working after free play adjustment Reply with quote

What is the free play at your pedal before you encounter resistance? Checking it with your hand, you should have about 1/4 inch at the pedal, which translates to 1mm inside the master cylinder.

Bently tells how to measure the pedal distance from the firewall, regarding the stop plate position. If, after doing this, and you still have issues, the master cylinder push rod needs adjustment.

Adjust shoes, first, although this will not affect master cylinder free play.

Adjust the stop plate per Bently. I believe it's 7&7/8 inch from the top of the pedal to the firewall, but I could be mistaken.

If necessary, loosen the mc push rod lock nut, then hand turn the rod until it just stops (the tip of it hitting the piston in the mc). Then back it out a half turn. Check for the 1/4 inch free play at the pedal. Adjust a little either way to achieve the required free play.

Tighten locknut when done.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes not working after free play adjustment Reply with quote

please take it to a shop that knows how to fix it. this isant a part of the car to be effed with if you dont know what your doing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: