Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

I figured I'd hedge my bets and subliminally make you want to continue to schlep all the way to the middle of corn and beans to just to grab a fleeting flash of memory of the Road Warrior.

Ok - not really. But I'll take any advantage I can scrounge up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I figured I'd hedge my bets and subliminally make you want to continue to schlep all the way to the middle of corn and beans to just to grab a fleeting flash of memory of the Road Warrior.

I'll schlep just for good conversation and excellent coffee.
Colin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

How many angles did you try before getting that tank in the background to look like it was on your roof? Laughing nice pic!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
How many angles did you try before getting that tank in the background to look like it was on your roof? Laughing nice pic!

Oh no. That IS my coffee supply.
Colin

(it came up pretty naturally on a windmill access trail in Washington . . .)
Colin
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Then where's the diet Coke stash?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

That looks like a nifty roof vent. Got a link, or at least a brand/model?
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

The brand is MAXXFAN DELUX,
Model 5100 K
Purchased thru Amazon.

It was pretty easy to install and I'm sure you 'could' do it with the top in place. After getting over the fear of cutting a gigantic hole in the top, it was easy. We redid all the wood in the top and we used marine construction adhesive 'jut in case'. We also installed a 1 x 4 frame around the perimeter of the hole so we could suck the fiberglass and the interior ceiling together when we installed the fan.

We'd be happy to offer more info if you want it.
I think Emma is going to do a topic on the top rejuvenation... soon.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

I've already got a 14x14 hole in my AW top, just looking for something to possibly replace the existing Ventline unit I've got on there right now. Will look into that one. Thanks!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Trstessa, there’s a unit that Micah used that’s a automatically thermostat controlled and humidity controlled fan. Remote control so you don’t have to reach and very effective. Give Micah a holler, or Kirk, who sees Micah regularly. Figure out what it is because it was awesome.

And make sure you get every detail on his second battery...it’s a custom one off battery that’s stupid effective...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:

I suspect some tardiness in their entries is due to Emma currently being in Mexico to see Sven - and I'm guessing their minds are on things other than buses for a while.

Yeah dad.....

Okay, he's right! I just returned from sunny Mexico to find Illinois covered in snow. Sven and I have been a bit busy uh....snorkeling...to post on here the last few weeks. Razz Tardiness my bad!

But I'm happy to hear that you have missed our updates!

Really, the real progress was made on the roof since we last spoke. To summarize: we took it off, redid the wood framing, reinforced the fiberglass, put the roof rack on and cut a huge fan hole, and put it all back on. We did all of this in a bit of a hurry, realizing my impending trip to Mexico would push our progress back to Xmas if we didn't get this done before I left, so it took priority over pretty much every other Bus activity in our garage. I DID manage to make a detailed post about that while in Mexico, posted in a separate thread to hopefully have maximum use-value/searchability for future RiviTop Rebuilders. If you want to check it out, here is the link: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709845

Dad was right - considering that this project terrified us a bit, it wasn't that bad and ended up working out nicely and was surprisingly unproblematic.

As for the fan, so far I think it is EXCELLENT! The only problem is that when it's on low it is so quiet that I keep forgetting to turn it off Razz

The only other MAJOR update: After just over a year, Big Emma took her first post-flood camping trip with Robbie, Sarah, and Brian when they swung into town almost a month ago (again...Mexico just kind of got in the way...but that does not indicate anything about my enthusiasm!). SHE DID GREAT! She gets a hearty high-five and a WHOOP WHOOP!

And we did too of course - this was the first visit in forever where we spend NO time working on buses and just hung out (okay, Robbie may have helped me tighten a screw and noticed a few others things I still need to do, and made a very sturdy window out of cardboard....but that was really it). We were so busy hanging that we took no decent pics. Here are three anyways:

My parent's dog Zane learning how to drive Big Emma during the camping trip...He still needs practice, but only because of the trickiness with paws and shifting. I wish he would have let me really enjoy the full-size bed for the first time...but he insisted on the middle.

Robbie and I excited that it was still warm out in Illinois back in September.

We titled this one "The Three Musketeers" Welcome to the world of shiny loved buses, Murphy!

Big Emma enjoying her new badass shark fin (solar not attached as of this pic).

Saludos! Now back to Bussing!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

I have to say, that window we made will last too long.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Brian - you get a gold star... that cardboard window is still in place and Big Emma sat out in the light rain for........ at least 2 days with nary a leak while I worked on Murphy.

Deborah still has nightmares about answering the door. so..... keep in mind... paybacks a bitch - especially when it comes unexpectedly. Wait til your mom gets the surprise Christmas gift from her loving son of a Breitbart subscription because you have now 'found thew way' and can't wait to convert her.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

I hope you all decided to upgrade your lighting finally...

Laughing

Remember that convo from pre Alaska? Very Happy

Looking great! Holler when you come back to the west coast....Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hello Sambaverse, it is time for the next installment of Big-Emma-Buildout updates Smile

First of all, greetings from Germany, where currently 2/3 of our buildout team resides. Aka I (Emma) made it over to Germany to spend some time with Sven after a long year of not doing that. Andrewtf is still in Illinois and can finally concentrate on getting his Bus Murphy all polished and shiny. If only that nasty Midwest winter wouldn’t make being in the garage so damn cold….

So what have we been up to for the past forever months since my last post? A number of interesting things!

1) Hydraulic struts to lift our poptop: I would say our biggest accomplishment was attaching some hydraulic lifting struts to Big Emma’s poptop.

As a refresh, we have wanted to add these for YEARS because I have not - no shit - been able to lift our poptop on my own since we added our solar panels in June 2016 (and remember, we went from Illinois to Alaska to Belize in that time camping with our top popped nearly every night). Basically, Sven was a pop-top hero, even when sick, exhausted, or annoyed, because without him we had to sacrifice our headroom. Thanks Sven!

Thankfully, with this addition, I can now pop our top all by my tiny self Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

While this type of project seems to be extremely common on Westys, we found exactly 0 examples of this project on Rivieras like ours. We ended up putting two 81 lb struts on each side of our poptop, mounted with 13mm ball studs/stud brackets attached to the upper bunk and inside of the wooden poptop frame (if unfamiliar with the terminology here, feel free to read it here on our post about refurbishing our poptop: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709845&highlight=). They now rest INSIDE our canvas. While this placement may seem odd, it was the only one that was really workable, especially since we were reluctant to drill extra holes into our tintop.

I will post extra specifically about this project because it was pretty unique on our roof restoration thread, so I will leave the intricate details for over there, but you get the gist.

2) Upper bunk: We also installed the upper bunk above the tintop. Because of warping and endless dirt, we left the old one back in Belize. Obviously, we did this before we put the struts on Wink We have not installed the boards that fold out as of yet, because we are still discussing their properties of multifunctionality and that should be a quick job come spring. More on that when I return to Illinois!

3) Propane tank: One of the things that drove us nuts before was that we had our propane sitting in the middle of our cab for most of our previous adventure (after learning that the little green propane tanks were both ridiculously expensive, practically unrecyclable, and hard to get below the border).

We decided to invest in an external one and went for the larger Vanagon model (larger than the Westy model). We ended up attaching it to the chassis below the slider via two 1/16” x 12” angles. We will run the propane hose below the Bus and feed it in behind the driver’s seat. Don’t worry, a shut-off switch will be built in there, too, as well as a carbon monoxide detector. Wink We have also attached a splitter to the tank so we can cook inside or out.

4) Garage box: This might just be my favorite one! One of the things I really wanted before hitting the road was to add some external storage, especially for things that I didn’t particularly like storing in my “house” like bigger tools and our ever-dirty leveling boards. Hence the “garage”.

We basically decided to do this by having a local metal shop make us a big steel box that now hangs between the driver’s side wheels. It is recessed to sit up below the chassis and bolted in at five different locations (green). It is made of 1/8” steel and sturdy as shit. In retrospect we would have made it a bit thinner to avoid the extra weight, but oh well…

Here is a rough sketch:

The parts drawn in red are the corrections we had to make afterwards to make it fit perfectly. Because the underside of the Bus curves oddly in that spot, preventing a complete upwards recess, we had to lop off the front corner with an angle grinder. We have replaced that corner now with a sturdy layer of duct tape.

And oh how much I can store in there!

As the propane tank also hangs quite low (about 1/4” below the lowest part of the engine) we did not have the clearance for this area of the Bus anymore anyways, so we felt that was worth the sacrifice. We will see if future-Emma and future-Sven agree when we are trying to navigate tricky bumpy roads in South America. I guess they will just have to learn to be careful going over pesky topes.

5) Mosquito nets: We finally installed the absolutely amazing mosquito net Sven’s mom made for our slider. Since he is ridiculously sensitive to mosquitos and no-see-ems, we wanted to make sure our new solution would be really solid. We accomplished this by screwing the frame of the nets directly into the Bus around the inside of the slider. The nets themselves (made with the finest mesh we could find) zipper on to those, making them removable without stressing the frame. Those suckers won’t be getting in this way! We are very happy with this solution so far (although we have had no actual mosquitoes to test it on as of yet).

6) Steering Wheel Cover: We had some extra marine vinyl left over from our bottom mattress cover and our old steering wheel cover was falling apart, so I made us a new one. Smile Murphy got a similar one in blue.

7) Extra box: We wanted somewhere discreet to quickly store valuables while driving, so we came up with this box and painted it black to blend in with the floor. I personally find it very comfortable to rest my feet on as the passenger.

8 ) All hooked up! Last but not least, Big Emma is all wired up with all lights, usbs, 12vs, and fans that are possible/installed at this point. Yeah!

We have also done tons of minor things, shivered in the garage a lot, and been catching up on Murphy projects. I have also added some nice touches like this one to help us combat the potential dangers of parking garages:

At the moment, I am scheduled to be back in the USA mid-April, after which the final touches of our Big-Emma-Buildout can commence. That will include everything involving our big cabinet (across from the slider door, currently being built by someone else), finally installing our poptop canvas, hooking up solar and other lights, and a thousand small adjustments to cabinets, etc. Oh, and upgrading our lighting Wink And popping out top a for fun, just because I can Very Happy

But more on that later….

Greetings, Saludos, Grüße and cheers to all!

Emma, Sven, Andrew, and Big Emma

Last edited by GoBigEmma on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Love the mosquito net for the slider! Going to save that and hopefully can throw one together for my Westy.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Good to see you laminated your fuse diagram so it's now waterproof… Wink
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yes.....wouldn't want that to get ruined in any stray mishaps.....actually wait.....THERE WILL BE NO MORE STRAY MISHAPS! (with that much water, at least! Very Happy )
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

New question/search:

We are in search of two 'parts'
I may also post this as a separate thread - if no one stumbles on this post with insight.

We are (believe it or not) seeing light at the end of our seemingly endless tunnel of Big Emma rebirth. There are just a few larger items to deal with - such as installing the awning and hooking up the solar. There are, of course, a million little project and bits to finish up, and we are painstakingly attending to those.
We CANNOT wait for Sven to arrive, get over jet lag, and pick up some tools with us.

Part #1 - Front vent wing window locks.
These are not the latches, but separate actual locking mechanisms.
I have searched and cannot find info on them. I looked thru a lot of threads but searching a thread with 850 posts to find the one about a vent wing window lock is fruitless.

I know these are available in some form, but I don't think I have ever seen them. The front vents are a prime 'break in' point and locks are essential. The old ones were good, but also home made and sort of jenky (sorry Emma and Sven). Something proper and strong would be ooh so beneficial.

Part #2 - metal trim piece for the walk thru lip.
This is really a 'trim' piece that goes at the rear side of the walk thru where it steps down about an inch. It goes over the heat openings in this lip. It is an inch+ tall and about 16" long. I have no idea what this is called, so I don't know how to search for it.

Thanks all - And as always, we appreciate our Samba family and all the support we are given.

Big Emma Build Team.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

These?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2154659

And I have the trim piece - like below or is yours the regular bus version cuz mine is Westy.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Locks?... I think so.
At this point, if it says 'Vent Wing Window Lock', I want to investigate.
Thank you so much for that tidbit. I"ll look into that.

On the other part - PM to be sent shortly.

thanks - Andrew
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: