Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring to coil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

I found this you tube video but when you watch it, please understand that I do NOT have the 2 screws that hold the ignition in and I am not sure why. Probably because this is a 74 and I have a 79 (duh)

I tried putting the key in and turning it (like in the video), but still nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuoWD_46HXw
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

I also removed the circlip on the shaft under the steering wheel and I now have a little "play" and it seems like it wants to come out, but it still wont.

Damn! I will keep trying
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

OK...for 5 days I have been researching and attempting to get this F@#*ing ignition switch out Evil or Very Mad with no luck.

I looked at every post and you tube video I can find and still have not been able to get it out.

this link is very good and basically shows everything I have done so far with pics...http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521793&highlight=ignition+switch+replacement+79

I have turned key to ON position and pulled lock assembly... nothing. I turned to "Start" and pulled..nothing\, I have removed the metal circlip, steering wheel, both lights and wiper assemblies, wiring harnesses disconnected, tubes for windsheild wiper fluid disconnected, 6MM screw underneath.........!!!! ARGGGHHH!!!

I don't know what else to take off/out to get the entire assembly out so I can get to the ignition switch assembly.

I am at my wits end and about to get my sledgehammer out if I can figure this out.

PLEASE PLEASE ...ANY IDEAS BEFORE I GO INSANE!
rustbelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Any update?
I'm having the same issue with my 74 SB running last night but I turned the key this morning and nothing, just like what happened to you. I have not yet done any of the testing you've done, but am anxiously following your progress.
Thanks.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Er, well, on my 79 (FI, thank goodness I mess with it!) when I took the steering wheel off and changed the plastic ignition switch, I recall there was a kind of tube of plastic, a bushing, that has a little notch in it to grab, and I used a weird tool I had in my old tool kit just by luck, and twisted this bushing until it started to turn and then slide off. You can get new ones I think. I hope my memory is correct on this... and that this helps and is what's holding you up.

Btw I would take photos as you go for when you have to put it all back.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

A bit confused I am as to where you are in this, but... you don't need to take out the ignition key barrel to change the plastic switch module (on a 79 SB at least, if stock), as I recall... the module plugs in at the back of the barrel.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

THANKS garyt "kind of tube of plastic, a bushing" was what was holding it up.

been busy with other things, so the car had to wait

UPDATE

so I got the ignition out, changed the ignition switch (which was brand new) and slid the ignition over the steering colum.

attempted to start car AND ......nothing. same old story. Evil or Very Mad

she wants to start, but wont.

Battery = 13.04V

any ideas now?

I'm at my wits end with this damn car!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Do you have 12v at #15 on the Coil with the key in the ignition and in the ON position? If you're not getting 12v at the coil, you could turn the engine all day and nothing will happen since there's no spark from the coil to the distributor to the plugs.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

11.4 to # 15 on coil with ignition in "on" position

battery 13.4V
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
attempted to start car AND ......nothing. same old story. Evil or Very Mad

she wants to start, but wont.

What does "she wants to start" mean exactly? Your engine is NOT cranking when you turn the key to START? The engine IS cranking but will not run? It cranks and seems like it starts to run but will not run on its own? It cranks but does not catch until you turn the key back from START to ON?
All of these sort of meet your description. We need a better idea of what is not working.

Is your engine the stock FI one, or has someone replaced the FI system with a stock carb (common downgrade after 38-years)?

I don't think you have actually described what your problem is?
It was clear you were trying to remove/replace your ignition switch (electrical). You have done that. Not sure why that was needed.
Presumably, you are replacing it because something wasn't working as it was supposed to. Can you be specific what it is?

With your voltmeter, test the wires at the bottom of the ignition switch plug:
Key in ON position:
    red #30 wire - constant 12v+
    black #15 wire - 12v+
    black/yellow #X wire - 12v+
    red/black #50 wire - 0v

Key in START position:
    red #30 wire - constant 12v+
    black #15 wire - 12v+
    black/yellow #X wire - 0v
    red/black #50 wire - 12v+

Go to the engine and test the voltage at the #15 (+) terminal of the ignition coil:
Key in ON position:
    black #15 wire - 12v+

Key in START position (you may need a helper for this test):
    black #15 wire - 12v+
<--- if this voltage is less than 10v the coil will not fire. If you have electronic points connected here, they stop working below 12.0v.

Go to the red/black #50 wire under the left rear seat (there is a junction just before the wire exits at the rear next to the center tunnel):
Key in ON position:
    red/black #50 wire - 0v

red/black #50 wire - 12v+

Report back what you find.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

thanks ashman...she cranks, but will not start. ... "The engine IS cranking but will not run"

the reason I changed the ignition switch was because all of the other tests I did in this post pointed to a "bad ignition switch." The starter selionid and starter were fine and I was receiving proper voltage with evvery test I completed (per pervious posts)

Yes, this is a completly stock 1600 DP with stock carb (no FI)

I will concuct all the tests on the ignition switch and report back.

Thanks
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Stupid question, but have you verified timing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

yes, was a little off, but she ran good.

this all started when I took her on her maiden voyage for about 50 miles. I got to where I was going and turned her off.

I went back the next day to start her and ......here we are 6/7 months later.
she wont start.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

TESTS 99.99% COMPLETED......RESULTS

With your voltmeter, test the wires at the bottom of the ignition switch plug:
Key in ON position:

red #30 wire - constant 12v+ MINE HAS 12.1V
black #15 wire - 12v+ MINE HAS 12.2V
black/yellow #X wire - 12v+ MINE HAS 12.1V
red/black #50 wire - 0v MINE HAS 0V

Key in START position:
red #30 wire - constant 12v+ MINE HAS 10.4V
black #15 wire - 12v+ MINE HAS 10.3V
black/yellow #X wire - 0v MINE HAS 1.1V
red/black #50 wire - 12v+ MINE HAS 10.3V

Go to the engine and test the voltage at the #15 (+) terminal of the ignition coil: Key in ON position:

black #15 wire - 12v+ MINE HAS 11.7V

black #15 wire - 12v+ MINE HAS 9.9V

<--- if this voltage is less than 10v the coil will not fire. If you have electronic points connected here, they stop working below 12.0v.

Go to the red/black #50 wire under the left rear seat (there is a junction just before the wire exits at the rear next to the center tunnel):
Key in ON position:
red/black #50 wire - 0v MONE IS 0.02V I DID THIS TEST ON BLACK/RED WIRE BEHIND THE DRIVER SEAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WHICH GOES THRU THE TUNNEL AND CONNECTS TO THE STARTER

red/black #50 wire - 12v+ DID NOT DO THIS YET....HELPER HAD TO LEAVE IN HUGE HURRY....

soooo what does this tell us?

I can see that I am losing voltage from the "ON" to "start" position which I thougt would have been fixed when I installed the new ignition switch.

Thanks
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Since the voltage drops when the engine is cranking it is a sign the battery is weak or the wiring has too much resistance so insufficient voltage is passing thru the wiring.

The voltage at your ignition coil while cranking is TOO LOW. I'd bet the coil is not actually firing while the engine is cranking. Or if it is firing the voltage that makes it to the plugs is too weak.

Try this... Use your battery jumper cables to extend the voltage from the battery posts to the rear of the car. Use a jumper wire to connect the ignition coil #15 to the jumper cable from the positive post so the ignition coil is directly powered from the battery. Measure the voltage at the end of the jumper cable while cranking. Hopefully you will find voltage closer to 12.0v.
If you have an alternator, you could also tap power from the B+ post of the alternator instead of the battery. This post is indirectly connected to the battery positive. Check the voltage while cranking to make sure it is high enough.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

OKAY.... HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THE ABOVE

hooked up a jumper wire directly from positve battery post to #15 on coil (i disconnected the black wire coming from the igintion on the coil.)

NOTE: WHEN I DID THIS I HEARD A "CLICKING" IN THE STARTER AREA OF THE CAR. (I'M ASSUMING THIS WAS THE POWER GOING TO THE STARTER SELIONID) AND NOT SOME BIGGER PROBLEM.

battery = 13.1V

with wire hooked directly from positve battery post to #15 on coil, I tested the voltage and had 12.2V. At this time, the ignition was NOT in the ON or START position, but the lights on the speddo were on.

key to "ON" = 12.1V
key to start = 10.8V/10.9V (fluctuating.) when key turned back to ON or OFF postion voltage returns to 12.2V.

with key in the START position, car would crank, but not start.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
hooked up a jumper wire directly from positve battery post to #15 on coil (i disconnected the black wire coming from the igintion on the coil.)

NOTE: WHEN I DID THIS I HEARD A "CLICKING" IN THE STARTER AREA OF THE CAR. (I'M ASSUMING THIS WAS THE POWER GOING TO THE STARTER SELIONID) AND NOT SOME BIGGER PROBLEM.

I'm pretty sure the clicking you heard was the idle cutoff solenoid on the left side of the carb. This is powered by the #15 terminal of the ignition coil.

79bugman wrote:
battery = 13.1V

with wire hooked directly from positve battery post to #15 on coil, I tested the voltage and had 12.2V. At this time, the ignition was NOT in the ON or START position, but the lights on the speddo were on.

13.1v is a bit high. A fully charged battery should read 12.6v. If you just turned off the battery charger it could be higher, but after your first attempt to crank the engine the voltage at the battery posts should drop to 12.6v.

If you disconnected the black #15 wire coming from the ignition switch to the ignition coil #15 terminal, there is no path back to the dash lights. This is strange. Have you tried disconnecting the other wires at the #15 post of the ignition coil and see if the speedo lights go out? When you say speedo lights do you mean the illumination lamps that light up the speedo backlight? Or do you mean one of the three indicator lamps at the bottom of the speedo? If the #15 wire from the ignition switch were STILL connected I would expect the OIL and GEN lamp to turn ON when power from the battery flowed back thru that wire.

79bugman wrote:
key to "ON" = 12.1V
key to start = 10.8V/10.9V (fluctuating.) when key turned back to ON or OFF postion voltage returns to 12.2V.

with key in the START position, car would crank, but not start.

That is an improvement from 9.9v to 10.9v.

At this point, I'd suggest you follow Speedy Jim's troubleshooting steps for when an engine doesn't start:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
Read the whole thing then follow the steps one-by-one to isolate where you have a problem. Don't assume anything, test it.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

thanks ashman.

YES, i meant the "indicator lamps at the bottom of the speedo -- OIL and GEN lamp"

also, YES, the #15 wire was STILL hooked up to the ignition switch. I did not disconnect it because your directions did not say to. Im glad this was "normal" and not a bigger problem we uncovered.

Thank you for all the help.

I will follow speddy jims link & report back the results. Hopefully, I will be able to get her running in time for spring.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

TEST results.

I followed Speddy Jims link and go to the point where it says "if you have no spark no matter what, go here"

I went there.

I then got to the point where I identified that I DO have power going to the coil. however, with the ignition On,I cranked the engine and my tester did NOT go On and Off twice each revolution. It stayed ON while cranking. Speedy Jim states that this is an indicator that the "points are not closing."

Speddy Jim also identifies the "another rare cause of an "open points" condition is failure of the tiny braided pigtail lead which grounds the advance plate. If the pigtail is broken, the advance plate may only be intermittently grounded. This will cause loss of spark as the advance plate moves or maybe no spark at any time. I THINK THIS IS MY PROBLEM. REMEMBER IN AN EARILIER POST WHERE I "THOUGHT" I FIXED THIS WITH MY HOMEMADE RIG.....I GUESS I DIDNT.

soooo...I have no clue how to change points and I am going to by a whole new distributor just to be on the safe side. I do not have the knowledge or tools to rebuild it and honstly ...i just want to drive my damn car!

I currently have an 050 and have done some research online. what do you think I should by to repalce the 050 Question

thanks for all the help and suggestions.....I'm almost there after a year!
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

I have seen this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-D186504-Flame-Thr...istributor

and this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Replacement-Electron...1732105334
(this one I can see the back of the Vacuum canister and it only looks like there is 1 inlet for a vacuum hose. I currently have 2 vacuum hoses on my carb ....will this work?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: