Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction Westfalia SO-42/SO-44/Dormobile Pop-Top Seal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42, SO-44, Dormobile Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Sample arrived.
Unfortunately needs revision.
Markups provided...

The bummer is... several things weren't even within spec. Not like I was just nitpicking & finding new things I wanted to change. Like a curve was supposed to have a radius of say 25mm.... and it was like 5mm. Brick wall

Sad trumpet sound... wah, wha, whaaa

I'll report back when I get feedback on the markups. Hopefully soon.

EDIT: I already heard back... the rep was apologetic & said they'd adjust tooling.
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

man that's too bad, what a pain.. thanks a ton for taking the time to go through this process! Applause
71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

The manufacturer reported today that they can't make the seal...

"Because of a different steel plate, your rubber seal is a one time extrusion, but our rubber seal needs to be a two step process. This caused three of your design parameters to be difficult to control. Our production department tried many times to meet the requirements, meanwhile, we expended an additional $500 on extra molds, but still not meeting the requirements, truly sorry Evan."

I'll see if they can do it out of standard rubber... instead of EPDM.
This company makes seals for Volvo, so I believe there is an inherent issue that may be unresolvable.
I'll keep looking for options (to get the correct shape).
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

I've been in contact with Evan (easy e) regarding his efforts but have been waiting to see if his source could come through before I proceeded. Now that his efforts have been (apparently) unsuccessful, I thought I'd share what I have found.

Firstly, I'm not trying to step on anything easy e has done thus far, and I'm thankful for his efforts to date. He's done a lot of heavy lifting.

I have a local company that produces EPDM seals for cars all day long and have contacted them regarding reproducing this seal. I've provided a chunk of NOS seal in perfect condition to them to investigate. So far it is doable for them in their opinion.

If it seems reasonable for me to proceed with sourcing this from this US company, I'd like to see what others think.

So, what shall I do?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

You wouldn't be stepping on my toes...
I just wanted the seal to be realized... for all of us pop-toppers!
I can send you the drawing & I probably still have a recognizable piece of seal.
It should save some design effort ($).
Cheers for picking up the baton Surprised)
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Cheers to both Evan and Nancy for trying to help us all realize a near correct pop-top seal, better than what we've been offered so far. Thanks to both of you!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Agreed, yay for both of you!
Bummer the first supplier tapped out, hopefully Nancy's can get er' done, depressing yet exciting at the same time. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Id think this is the same for the full pop tops through the bay Westfalias? No? If it is Id be interested in it as a replacement for the bulb type on there now. With that said - I would need a bunch more than the turret top crowd. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

I've been wondering if Dormobile tops or any of the bay tops take this same seal. If so, the market is greatly expanded making the cost a bit more palatable.

Anyone know if there are any other applications for this seal?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

This first pic is the same stuff available to you - modern Bulb type. I have issue with the wide strip for the end lip to roof rack seal, just the main gasket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is of a dormobile from xavi_242. Left one is OG. Looks like the one you are making and the type I removed off my 77 pop top. I cant find an og shot of Bay rubber.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

I'm ordering this one because I have 2 other replacements I do not like.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
crofty wrote:
http://www.steelerubber.com/top-lip-push-on-seal-70-3591-99

That's what I used as it has a more original profile.

Yes crofty I like that even better.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

LAGrunthaner wrote:
crofty wrote:

i don't have my camper here so i can't check measurement but i need to order it too, can u share total length needed for pop top?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

I need to measure mine but I would think 4 meters would cover it but we need to measure it first to be sure. It sure looks like a much better seal than all the other repros.

delx23 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

LAGrunthaner wrote:
crofty wrote:

i don't have my camper here so i can't check measurement but i need to order it too, can u share total length needed for pop top?
Thanks

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Somewhere in this thread I think it was mentioned but I'll bring it back up as I have seen this seal. It is from a Ford Windstar 1995 to 2003 rear hatch and front door. Though not exactly right on either side of the U but the clamping part is big and strong. The donut side is huge and the squeegee side is huge. Maybe a possible replacement for the Westy seal? They are extremely well made and supple.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Hard to tell but I don't think seal would be long enough to touch the body

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Agree, I like the other one best.
crofty wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
crofty wrote:

And this is too wimpy, huh. http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/precision_parts_...3925-.aspx
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Looks ok... pretty much like the WW seal.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
crofty wrote:

And this is too wimpy, huh. http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/precision_parts_...3925-.aspx

I'd go with the seal I posted before that.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Westfalia SO-42 SO-44 Pop-Top Seal Reply with quote

Nancy has made some promising progress with the vendor she's working with!

She sent me a drawing & I provided her some comments. I can't wait to hear how the vendor responds. Big props for her taking this to the next step.

Vendor's first sketch for review is labeled "Rev. 0" at the top-center of the pic. Remainder of stuff around it is my comments.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: