Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Putting on the heads today. Everything in the bottom end had plenty of information for where to put assembly lube, but not so much for the heads. Is it necessary to lube anything? They are new gowesty/amc heads.
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Question... I have the heads on, the pushrods and rocker arms on, and when I turn the v-belt pulley by hand I encounter pretty good resistance in some points in the stroke. I can overcome it by hand with great effort then it turns smooth until it happens again, maybe a quarter or half turn. It's almost like I have sprark plugs in and it's the compression stroke but there are no spark plugs in. Is this okay? My endplay was set to 0.0035". I would say this just started happening after the p&c and head install.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

jkmcrg wrote:
Question... I have the heads on, the pushrods and rocker arms on, and when I turn the v-belt pulley by hand I encounter pretty good resistance in some points in the stroke. I can overcome it by hand with great effort then it turns smooth until it happens again, maybe a quarter or half turn. It's almost like I have sprark plugs in and it's the compression stroke but there are no spark plugs in. Is this okay? My endplay was set to 0.0035". I would say this just started happening after the p&c and head install.

well turning resitance will change as valve springs are compressed, that could be it.

good luck!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Thanks bluebus!! Putting the engine in now....... any last words of advice? Tips on bleeding cooling system on dry install? Bently just kinda says "fill her up and pump her through". Well. Here we go!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(please ignore the coat hangers holding up the muffler (mostly the big one hooking it to the carrier bar).... didn't realize I had a 1.9 motor mount and the role that played.... looks pretty funny with everything else looking fresh Very Happy
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

It went in! All nighter. Still going. Everything is hooked up... I primed the oil system, cranked until the oil pressure light turned off. About 30 seconds in two intervals. Hooked everything back up, and it's not starting... Is it bad to continue to crank wile trouble shooting? Hooking up a fuel pressure gauge... we have spark... I am hearing little puffs
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

jkmcrg wrote:
It went in! All nighter. Still going. Everything is hooked up... I primed the oil system, cranked until the oil pressure light turned off. About 30 seconds in two intervals. Hooked everything back up, and it's not starting... Is it bad to continue to crank wile trouble shooting? Hooking up a fuel pressure gauge... we have spark... I am hearing little puffs

The "little puffs" could be the firing order/spark plug wires are not installed correctly..double check
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Firing order correct, timing checked. If the cap was rotated to tune timing in a past life, do I need to undo the bolt and rotate the cap back or is it all relative to the notch in the distributor body?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

The notch should be close enough to get the engine running. Pull the valve cover and be sure #1 is at TDC compression stroke and not TDC overlap. TDC compression stroke is the TDC after the intake valve closes on #1 ..rotating the engine by hand clockwise

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Pulling the valve covers... does this do the same thing as putting a thumb over the spark plug hole and feeling pressure? Okay we realigned the rotor just right, it looked like it was knocked maybe 5 degrees off. Upon starting it kind of seemed like it wanted to catch on a stoke or two, then it sorta backfired out the exhaust? There was big ol poof out the exhaust.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

can the drive gear on 1.9 be installed out of phase?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

jkmcrg wrote:
Pulling the valve covers... does this do the same thing as putting a thumb over the spark plug hole and feeling pressure? Okay we realigned the rotor just right, it looked like it was knocked maybe 5 degrees off. Upon starting it kind of seemed like it wanted to catch on a stoke or two, then it sorta backfired out the exhaust? There was big ol poof out the exhaust.

Rather than the thumb pressure thing..do take a flashlight and look down inside the bore with the spark plug out and watch the intake valve open then close as the piston comes up to TDC, if you can.
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Alright you were correct, wrong firing order! It started up and sounded so, so good. But it wouldnt rev at all... then suddenly it shut off and now won't start again. So, we're now investigating fuel pressure. Thanks guys Smile This is a good day.

I guess I'll ask now... anything I can do at this point that will mess up my new engine while troubleshooting? I know I shouldn't let it idle.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

jkmcrg wrote:
Alright you were correct, wrong firing order! It started up and sounded so, so good. But it wouldnt rev at all... then suddenly it shut off and now won't start again. So, we're now investigating fuel pressure. Thanks guys Smile This is a good day.

I guess I'll ask now... anything I can do at this point that will mess up my new engine while troubleshooting? I know I shouldn't let it idle.

Ideally you should not let it idle but start-up issues happen. I doubt you have messed up anything.
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Fuel pressure gets up to 36 when cranking, but quickly drops to 21 psi accross 30 seconds, then from there drops to 17 psi after 5 minutes... not great but I think I remember it always being not great.

Any ideas on this? The sudden cut out then no start? Doesn't make sense that a residual fuel pressure issue would prevent it starting...
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

jkmcrg wrote:
Fuel pressure gets up to 36 when cranking, but quickly drops to 21 psi accross 30 seconds, then from there drops to 17 psi after 5 minutes... not great but I think I remember it always being not great.

Any ideas on this? The sudden cut out then no start? Doesn't make sense that a residual fuel pressure issue would prevent it starting...

If the fuel pressure figures above occurred when the engine was not running, that just shows how weak your battery becomes after all that cranking and running the fuel pump - - a heavy battery draw.

If those numbers occurred while the engine, and thus alternator, were running, then there is a problem in the fuel system. So which is it?
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Just cranking, wasn't on there while running. We've been topping off the starter with some deep cycles we have so it's been pretty torquey on all the starts.

Gonna maybe smoke test the air system.... seem consistent with choking when you give it pedal?
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Okay this is bizarre... just popped off the diz cap carefully and found the rotor to be 90 degrees off...... what? Just replaced diz cap with a duralast, maybe that's the issue. Can search for old one in trash. Using the search...
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Found the other cap in the trash, threw it on, and am work hardening my cams right now like the happiest camper that ever existed Smile

Y'all are amazing, past and present posts got me through this job. First time I ever did engine work and all the knowledge has been offered for free and gladly. What an amazing community. Thank you!
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Hah! Rotor spun again. Guess I'm just not aligning something right.

Okay I'll shut up now
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild progress, pics, & a few odd questions Reply with quote

Congrats on getting it built in and running.
You did it far faster than I would have!

The rotor can be a tight fit. Maybe it wasn't seated far enough down?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: