Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Little personal update: I got a job at a VW restoration shop here in Santa Cruz and I'm loving it so far! Hopefully this is just the beginning Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Congratulations Tman!
That sounds like it can be a lot of fun Dancing and a lot of hard work. d'oh!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Thanks Kent! I'm excited to put in the hard work Very Happy
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Congratulations! From what I've seen you do on this thread it sounds to me like you'll be well suited to the new job! I look forward to more updates! Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Not much done on the bus since the last update in October. I've just been driving everywhere, and in all my driving I have broken down twice... First time was due to that godforsaken serpentine belt system that I was just waiting to let me down again, which it did... far from home. The bus is now back to the good ol' v-belt and I couldn't be happier. Once again, IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING TO A SERPENTINE BELT SYSTEM, DO NOT DO IT!!! My second breakdown was a broken throttle cable, easy peasy. I ended up switching from the stock style, to the braided cable style as well as replacing the throttle cable guide tube that goes through the fan shroud.

In the mindset of easily accessing things for repairs and breakdowns, I moved the ignition coil from the back of the fan shroud to the side of the engine compartment mounted to the wheel tub. I also changed all of the terminals to the german, double-crimp style brass connectors.

Other than that, I have finally gotten back on the diesel heater project about a year later hahaha. I got the exhaust for it fitted, fuel lines, pump, filter and tank installed, and wiring done. Gave it the first fire up tonight and this thing can boogie! I ran it for about 30 minutes and the outlet was reading over 200*F. Since I have it under the westy seat where I store a bunch of stuff, I was concerned about the unit itself getting too hot, but the cool end of the unit maxed out at around 80*F and the hot end maxed out at about 115*F. I can live with those numbers. Here are some pictures from all of that.

The fuel tank mounted. Didn't think about the fact that the strap would cover up some of the words on the tank until after I painted it. Oh well d'oh!

Here's where the heater is installed if you forgot since it was so long ago. Right now i just have the heat coming out of that tube hanging out of the seat pointed forwards. It will eventually connect to the stock heater tubes so it can be used to defrost the windshield (my main reason for doing this in the first place).

And here is where i put the controller for the heater. I just routed the wires under the seat pedestal, through and existing hole and double stick taped it to my cb radio. I opted for the most simple style control with just an on and off button and a dial the controls both fan speed and temperature.

I was also able to get the bus up on a lift for the first time since I bought it just to do a little once over on everything, and I was happily surprised to find everything in line and did a trans fluid change while it was up there and easy to do. But rest assured, all other work being down is on the ground and in the street. I have to stay on brand right??? Laughing

1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Little personal update: I got a job at a VW restoration shop here in Santa Cruz and I'm loving it so far! Hopefully this is just the beginning Wink

Hey OP great thread and nice looking bus! I got some real gems of knowledge from you already, I plan to try to treat my rust in the inside under my bed cushion and add some sound deadening material to keep the engine noise down also. Thanks for posting

I noticed you mention a VW restoration Shop in santa Cruz. I have been searching for a shop to cut out my rust and weld in some new pieces. I was hoping to find a shop that was into old VW's so I felt good about letting them have the job. If you don't mind could you tell me the shop? Please feel free to PM if your prefer.
vintage water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

hello !
well done job on the 68 !
Shocked
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Soooo apparently once you start working on vw's for a living you kind of lose time/motivation to work on your own stuff. Who knew?! Laughing

Anyways I've been able to do a couple things here and there that are just fixing the odd broken thing (Yes the bus is still my only ride so if something breaks, it's gotta get fix asap).

The first thing is sensible. I got some new tires. They still won't please all the purists but they are much better than before. I've got some 185/75 r14's for the rear and 165/65 r14 for the front. Now I'm finally cruising on the freeway and a reasonable speed and rpm.

Rears, still tucking castle nuts.

Fronts, now the tires hit the 3" tubs before the frame hits the ground.

Took the wheels and tires to get mounted in our shop car. Diesel and flames, can't get much cooler. Kinda want to buy it...

Then a got a pretty gnarly concussion and started doing weirder stuff to the bus...

First is some old truck mirrors. I still need to bring them in a couple inches on each side but I'm still working on freeing up all the rusty hardware on them.

Mounted them using the stock mirror mounts (still had to drill for the top mounts)

Then, I finally started on the headliner in this thing. FUR HEADLINER UP IN THIS BITCH! Still have some trimming out to on it but it's 95% done.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Just keeps getting better… Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:

Congratulations!

That’s the fastest transition from “ it’s a great community” to “ what a bunch of cheap wankers” you will ever make

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, have fun.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Jeez it's been a while since I've popped in around here. I'm back to say that I have a plan all ironed out for the next phase of the bus. I won't give up many details yet, but I will say that the air suspension will be out and the frame notches, tubs, raised engine, raised steering box, and front beam doghouse will all no longer be of any service. I'll give a little hint that it will be more crazy (albeit less complicated) than it is right now Wink

That being said, the air compressors, air tank, air drier, valve block, ecu, controllers, height sensors, and wiring harness is all going to be for sale if anyone is interested.

edit: drop spindles for sale too.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Totally looking forward to see this thing lifted over stock the same amount it was lowered. Twisted Evil

Although, I would suggest finding someone wanting a slammed bus that’s willing to trade for something closer to your current vision.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Totally looking forward to see this thing lifted over stock the same amount it was lowered. Twisted Evil

Although, I would suggest finding someone wanting a slammed bus that’s willing to trade for something closer to your current vision.

I've considered that but I'm unsure about it. There would be so many things that I would want to do to it to make it "sell-able" that it almost wouldn't be worth it to me. But hey you never know. If someone were to offer the right amount I might consider it, but for now it's already "ruined" so I might as well ruin it in a whole new way. I've realized something about myself in the past few years, and that is at the end of the day, it not driving these things around that makes me the most happy, it's working on them and making them do things they weren't supposed to do that does, and this bus has been the perfect platform to allow me to do that.

First piece to the puzzle has arrived. I'm still not going to give up too much on whats going on, but this will be a good hint.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: